Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cheesecake

Upgrade

Anyone of you here planning to upgrade? I understd dat some institutes like Stansfield, PSB, SIM etc offers degree programmes from UOL, RMIT, etc. Am wondering, if its feasible for me to take an advanced dip in Business Studies at PSB? I have 2 'A' level passes & 2 'AO' passes. At first, planned to take up the 4-yr part-time dip at SP but hb tinks dat its too long & wat if i wan to go for a degree later on :dancingqueen: The advanced dip will take 14mths. I cannot afford a degree programme so am planning to take a dip first & when enuf $, go on to a degree...any advice?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
i think any good cert will take a resonable amt of time to finish. even for degree. my hb took 3.5 yrs to finish his part time degree while i know of other places which afford like 1-2 yrs!

but my local full time degree took a good 3 yrs to finish. so for partime 3 yrs is like half the time also right?

with my experience i believe that the duration matters. some company doubt that 1 -2 yr can get u a decent degree and actually asked how long did u take to obtrain certain certs..

so dun let the duration spoil the purpose of upgrading...

huh, u mean company will discriminal pple who go for upgrading and ask how long its take?

i think any good cert will take a resonable amt of time to finish. even for degree. my hb took 3.5 yrs to finish his part time degree while i know of other places which afford like 1-2 yrs!

but my local full time degree took a good 3 yrs to finish. so for partime 3 yrs is like half the time also right?

with my experience i believe that the duration matters. some company doubt that 1 -2 yr can get u a decent degree and actually asked how long did u take to obtrain certain certs..

so dun let the duration spoil the purpose of upgrading...

Hi Diva...at first hor, dats wat i feel too. But a few colleagues told me dat even for students taking full-time, they dun study 5 days a week, 8hrs a day. They also have lectures & tutorials spread out. So sometimes will have lessons, sometimes dun have so no need to go sch lor. So 3yrs aint reali 3 yrs. But i see the part-time progs for UniSim, reali xiong...reali hesitate as my brain now is 80% rotten already & im not sure if i can pass so tot of gg for a dip first. Btw, got places where u can get degrees in 1-2yrs?? So far i've checked, for dip holders, at least 2yrs loh....For me, cfm is 3 yrs at least....So u mean u doubt dat the 14month advanced dip dat im considering to get wont get me far? :P This advanced dip can let me go to year 2 of the part-time degree programmes if i pass....

huh, u mean company will discriminal pple who go for upgrading and ask how long its take?

I dun tink companies will ask how long it took for us to complete our upgrading but they will see our certs are obtained from where? :bangwall: Cos no matter where we study at, at the end of the day, the one who give us the cert is the 'original' sch loh...Like whether i study at SIM or Stansfield, if the programme is an UOL programme, the cert wont mention anything abt SIM or Stansfield...will juz state its UOL...i tink its lidat. But duration wont put there lar ;)

Hi Diva...at first hor, dats wat i feel too. But a few colleagues told me dat even for students taking full-time, they dun study 5 days a week, 8hrs a day. They also have lectures & tutorials spread out. So sometimes will have lessons, sometimes dun have so no need to go sch lor. So 3yrs aint reali 3 yrs. But i see the part-time progs for UniSim, reali xiong...reali hesitate as my brain now is 80% rotten already & im not sure if i can pass so tot of gg for a dip first. Btw, got places where u can get degrees in 1-2yrs?? So far i've checked, for dip holders, at least 2yrs loh....For me, cfm is 3 yrs at least....So u mean u doubt dat the 14month advanced dip dat im considering to get wont get me far? :thumbs up: This advanced dip can let me go to year 2 of the part-time degree programmes if i pass....

I dun tink companies will ask how long it took for us to complete our upgrading but they will see our certs are obtained from where? :sport-smiley-004: Cos no matter where we study at, at the end of the day, the one who give us the cert is the 'original' sch loh...Like whether i study at SIM or Stansfield, if the programme is an UOL programme, the cert wont mention anything abt SIM or Stansfield...will juz state its UOL...i tink its lidat. But duration wont put there lar :bangwall:

i also wan to upgrade ..... next yr my AD , next wil have baby. wat do u tink? after give birth brain will demage a little how?

Yes, most companies do discrimate on how long you take for the course, whether is it distance-education and if its from the original school. Realise that when you fill up the application form, the education section always ask for the year, "From" and "To". Some forms even have a column for you to tick if its "on-campus" and "off-campus/distance learning".

Eg there was a time when Thames claimed to offer a degree program from University of Cambridge, but very soon everyone realised that its actually a Thames' certification and they pay University of Cambridge to mark it. After realising that many students actually dropped out when they found that very few employers would honour such qualifications.

Yes, most companies do discrimate on how long you take for the course, whether is it distance-education and if its from the original school. Realise that when you fill up the application form, the education section always ask for the year, "From" and "To". Some forms even have a column for you to tick if its "on-campus" and "off-campus/distance learning".

Eg there was a time when Thames claimed to offer a degree program from University of Cambridge, but very soon everyone realised that its actually a Thames' certification and they pay University of Cambridge to mark it. After realising that many students actually dropped out when they found that very few employers would honour such qualifications.

some are innocent they might not aware...

so far i heard informatic hav the shortest period to get degree

i also wan to upgrade ..... next yr my AD , next wil have baby. wat do u tink? after give birth brain will demage a little how?

LOL..if i have bb liao, i wont upgrade already...where got the time & $$$??? i tink i will concuss :yamseng: My hb also wana try for a bb rite after AD but im not keen leh..cos i still got things to do...i also duno how...

But i tink most part-time degrees will require at least 2yrs rite? Those with relevant dip can complete in 2yrs provided they pass everything at first try loh....Dats true, got the From & To. Come to tink of it, if im the boss, i will also find those 1-yr degrees rather dubious....

i wouldn't say discrimate. i will say they will be more careful with those who obtain their degree via express lane. 1 -2 yr of partime degree will get you where?

my bro's partime nus degree will take him 5 yrs. imagine. but his degree will certainly be recognised anywhere.

cheesecake, for adv dip holders do check out how long does the full time student take. den see if the duration given by partime is realistic.

i did system development for hr before. all i can reveal is that duration does matter. to what extent or how much emphasize does the company choose to make on the duration i am not sure.

do some market study..better if you have frens from hr ask them. local uni like nus, ntu are highly favourable. smu also not bad. other uni u have to see if they are recognised. ask your fren if they have grad from the partime course does the cert worth their time? is their market value enhanced becoz of that cert?

i did not do my degree partime so i cant really help. but the advice i can give is do more market reasearch before signing up on one. n dun believe all the stuffs the sch brochure tells u...even if 2 yrs 3 yrs is really alot of time and $ invested..so think carefully before embarking on one.

dun let the duration be a factor to deter u from choosing a good one. becoz end of the day if an express cert cant get u anywhere might as well dun spend your time and $ right?

Diva, since u noe more abt this, hope u can advise me also....Cos at first, im looking at the local part-time biz ad dip from SP. It will take me 4yrs to complete....I find dat its abit too long but again, i dun have enuf $ to embark on a 3-yr part-time degree course from UniSim as well. Hence, im actually trying to see where i can get a dip so dat it allows me to enter year 2 of the part-time degree. UniSim part-time dips will take 2yrs. Full-time is one yr.

Most of my frens are holding local uni certs so they cant help me much also. For me, i cant be like ur bro, take NUS part-time degree rite? Cos local unis have stricter criteria, not any dogs & cats can juz take up part-time there loh. To b frank, i find dat no matter how i research, i get conflicting info & views evwhere so its rather hard for me to decide.

For the 4-yr part-time dip from SP, they also dun allow students to defer shld the need arise. Rather confused now...Getting a degree now is not an option so im lookin at dip. I juz went to find out, the 14mth part-time advanced dip im looking at, takes 9mths if its full-time....wat u tink??....

But i tink most part-time degrees will require at least 2yrs rite? Those with relevant dip can complete in 2yrs provided they pass everything at first try loh....Dats true, got the From & To. Come to tink of it, if im the boss, i will also find those 1-yr degrees rather dubious....

My wife got a biz diploma from TP, then a few years after working she took one and a half yr part-time biz course from SIM, under RMIT. She graduated and used that to apply for a job in HP. Now she is happily working there, somemore doing quite ok.

The course did say only eligible for those above 27 yrs old, with poly biz diploma, and a certain years of relevant experience. However not cheap, think near to $20K to be paid within the one year. Not sure if this is still available now that its called UniSIM...

aiyo.. why never ask me... i finished my finance degree at APMI.. lol..

company paying me decent.. definately payoff in my books. lol...

aiyo.. why never ask me... i finished my finance degree at APMI.. lol..

company paying me decent.. definately payoff in my books. lol...

what is APMI?

how u compare to ACCA?

what is APMI?

how u compare to ACCA?

APMI is Asia Pacific Management Institute.

Now its called Kaplan AMPI due to a takeover.

Its basical an education provider for long distance degree programs and diploma programs, 1 university under the Kaplan AMPI umbrella would be NUI, National University of Ireland.

ACCA is a body for accounting and they administer certifications for ppl to be accredited in Accounting Industry.

CPA is the accreditation.

Can't compare because its apple to orange.. depending on industry and nature of work.

FTC Kaplan isi the same?

your finance degree at APMI. is not accounting ah, i tot ACCA also under Finance & accounting & Sometime HRM?

FTC KAPLAN is slightly different but under the same Kaplan Tree.

FTC courses are more towards professional certfication e.g. CFA/ACCA/CFP etc.

Not degree courses.

A Finance Degree and Accounting Degree might have some overlap but still its 2 different fields.

It is a good idea if you can spend the $$ and time to go for upgrade as this is to make you employable quality.

Study to get a good degree, or paper qualification in order to land into a good job....

The above is definitely true and sound true...

But... like I always share with my friends....

Sound true may not be the best way to success...

Imagine... After graduating, you still have to find a job that pays u according to what u study... what if there is no such job or no such employer...

Do u still think that you can earn as you planned earlier??

Come to think of it... How much do you spend on the piece of Paper.... How fast must you pay up the amount of school fees???

I personally think that...

If I can pay the amount of school fees, in installments, study & learn about how to "survive" in this society, & yet consistently Learn & Do what had taught to me...

In 2-4 years time (Approximately the period I complete a part time "recognised" degree), I probably be earning more than what I had earlier planned to... and I do not need to secure for a job that gurantee that pay.. ;)

Why Not??? Right??