Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
4d_striker

Bomb Shelter Use As Walk-in Wardrobe

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Anyone has convert bomb shelter into walk-in wardrobe? Do you think this is feasible? Me thinking of doing it.

In this case, your bomb shelter must be big enuff for all the shelving and drawers etc.. But I thought bomb shelter is about the size of a storeroom only? :D

bomb shelter is much bigger than the normal storeroom. but the location wise not so good rite, near the main door?

Yup.. they are located near the main door.. Quite a weird location. Imagine coming out of your bathroom naked or with a piece of towel around you, then you got to walk all the way to the living room and into the WIW to get changed..

WIW are mostly connected to bathrooms or near the bathrooms..

hmm think not feasible unless your WIW has no shelves or poles attached to the wall

according to SCDF regulations, you are not supposed to drill holes or fix anything to the walls of the HHS

if suay suay kenna complain or what, they come down and inspect

you gotta to remove every single fixture inside :(

hmm think not feasible unless your WIW has no shelves or poles attached to the wall

according to SCDF regulations, you are not supposed to drill holes or fix anything to the walls of the HHS

if suay suay kenna complain or what, they come down and inspect

you gotta to remove every single fixture inside :(

not supposed to drill holes or fix anything to the walls? then how do people install rack in their bomb shelter? my bomb shelter is not in the living room, it's in the passage way to the bedroom.

Have you seen those racks before ? Those racks are not fixed to the wall....

Taken from HDB website

General

The store/pantry in your HDB flat is designed and constructed to serve also as a civil defence shelter in times of emergency. They are specially designed and well-prepared to protect you and your loved ones in an emergency, the store/pantry has strengthened walls, floor and ceiling and a steel door which looks like a normal household door.

Like the other structural components of the flat, the reinforced walls, floor tiles, ceiling and steel door of the store/pantry cannot be hacked or drilled during any renovation works.

Certain finishes and fixtures are not permitted as they are not easily removable before an emergency. These may instead become hazards when you need to occupy the shelter during an emergency. Lighting, power point, telephone point and MATV outlet are also provided within the shelter so that you can still communicate with the outside world.

Types of Works Not Permitted in HS

Laying of wall tiles or spray of rock tone finish, cement sand finish and gypsum plastering on the internal faces of HS walls including ceiling.

Laying of floor tiles using adhesive materials.

Laying of 2nd layer of tiles on floor or skirting tiles.

Installation of cornices within the HS.

Installation works with fixings using power driven nails into the internal HS walls.

Tampering with, removing or covering up of the HS door notice. The HS door notice provides important information to the occupants on the proper use of the HS.

Indiscriminate hacking and drilling of the HS walls, floor slabs and ceiling slabs, other than drilling into HS walls and ceiling slabs to affix removable screws on inserts, provided the depth of the insert shall not exceed 50mm.

Hacking to both internal and external face of the household shelter walls to form key for tiling.

Hacking or indiscriminate drilling on external face of HS wall for mounting of feature wall panels or wall tiles installation.

Modifying, changing, removing or tampering of HS door.

Modifying, altering or tampering with any part of the ventilation openings, plates and the mounting devices such as bolts and nuts.

Painting to the interior face of the 6mm fragmentation stainless steel plate of the ventilation sleeve, the ventilation sleeve, "O" ring rubber gasket and the four or eight numbers of stainless steel bolts, which hold the steel plate to the sleeve.

Edited by andylyf

not supposed to drill holes or fix anything to the walls? then how do people install rack in their bomb shelter? my bomb shelter is not in the living room, it's in the passage way to the bedroom.

There is indeed more restriction to shelter bomb. Somemore the door is pretty heavy right....

mmm... personally i will not go for it. i can't handle the HHS door well. difficult to open, difficult to close. however, if no other room is available, this idea may still be feasible. i've seen ppl who use their HHS as study. :(

mmm... personally i will not go for it. i can't handle the HHS door well. difficult to open, difficult to close. however, if no other room is available, this idea may still be feasible. i've seen ppl who use their HHS as study. :(

hmmmmm, if the door is difficult to handle, then I guess got to drop the idea.

not feasible.. i think ventilation in there not enough, your clothes might turn mouldy especially those that u do not wear for long time. u cannot remove the door or change to sliding door, and yes, raincole is right, it is pretty heavy.

mmm... personally i will not go for it. i can't handle the HHS door well. difficult to open, difficult to close. however, if no other room is available, this idea may still be feasible. i've seen ppl who use their HHS as study. :good:

HHS as study? :(

i think i would feel like i'm in jail if i had to study in such a room. :P

Edited by phoenix