Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
BunBun

Ikea Kitchens

We're looking at kitchen carpentry and etc so thought to post here to ask around if anyone has ever used ikea's kitchen types before?

How's the functionality and stability for those types?

Is it worth getting kitchens from Ikea?

Edited by BunBun

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
We're looking at kitchen carpentry and etc so thought to post here to ask around if anyone has ever used ikea's kitchen types before?

How's the functionality and stability for those types?

Is it worth getting kitchens from Ikea?

I used to have Ikea kitchen. That time (about 10 years back) they have standard measurements for the cabinets, don't know what it's like now.

Quality wise, i personally think they are ok, workmanship is ok too. Guess their accessories are quite useful, such as the wire baskets and so on. But then again, there are many similar ones in the market now.

Edited by skippyapp

I think Ikea kitchen are expensive, they charge one price for the materials, another for installation, and their salespeople are not helpful at all. Ikea products are also never known for quality. I can get similar cheaper ones from contractors.

Gumbokins : Have to admit that the showpieces of Ikea kitchens are eye-pleasing though, its the practicality that counts for the $ than the aesthetic value. :dribble:

JS21 : True but then there are also other costs factored in, like kitchen bases, kitchen tops and etc. A lot to do for comparison in between contractors's pricing. :seeya:

skippyapp : Thanks for the feedback but do not know if the current ones are up to standard even for moderate cooking and withstanding the test of time. Back then when you'd used Ikea's kitchen, did they last long btw?

Gumbokins : Have to admit that the showpieces of Ikea kitchens are eye-pleasing though, its the practicality that counts for the $ than the aesthetic value. :good:

JS21 : True but then there are also other costs factored in, like kitchen bases, kitchen tops and etc. A lot to do for comparison in between contractors's pricing. :good:

skippyapp : Thanks for the feedback but do not know if the current ones are up to standard even for moderate cooking and withstanding the test of time. Back then when you'd used Ikea's kitchen, did they last long btw?

i used them for about 3 years... didn't notice much wear and tear. The feature that i like best about Ikea kitchen, guess is their drawers, very smooth when opening/closing. I had the birch wood laminate. Looks bright and elegant in my small kitchen.

Skippyapp : Sounds like Ikea kitchens are definitely worth getting from what you've described. If I remember right that some forumers here mentioned that the current ones from Ikea should come with Blum inserts for smooth sliding of the drawers.

i used them for about 3 years... didn't notice much wear and tear. The feature that i like best about Ikea kitchen, guess is their drawers, very smooth when opening/closing. I had the birch wood laminate. Looks bright and elegant in my small kitchen.

Skippyapp : Sounds like Ikea kitchens are definitely worth getting from what you've described. If I remember right that some forumers here mentioned that the current ones from Ikea should come with Blum inserts for smooth sliding of the drawers.

WOW! Blum? Then the price must have increased quite a bit! Mine was a small L-shaped kitchen, cost about $4k.

Skippyapp : Yep that is what i vaguely remember about Blum on Ikea's kitchens though. Believe ChunkyMonkey has provided a clearer picture on the runners made by Blum.

Guess the prices is more or less almost the same now for a kitchen but the smallest is a really tiny kitchen by Ikea for 799. Not sure what's the ft for it.

Ikea's runners, although made by Blum, exclusively for Ikea, is still not Blum. That is the quality is not the same. That's why the runners are cheaper.

Was considering Ikea kitchen (some may know I am a Ikea fan), but my bro say the wood use are not as good. But the last kitchen I did the contractor also ended up using lousy wood as I also have no idea which wood is good and which is not. And that kitchen cost me 5K. I estimated this kitchen if I can from Ikea everything in (including installation) will probable cost me 3-4K. If I do outside, with my bro's lobang, probably about 4K+ (but with better wood as my bro assure me). So I have still not decided, but most likely will trust my bro.

So, if you are comparing with outside contractor, may sure they use better wood, wat wood I also dun know maybe some forumers can shed some light. I'll try to check with my bro too.

One thing I like about Ikea kitchen is the internal organisation. The drawers are excellent and very quiet. One way to get around, if you can get a very trusted contractor, get the internal from Ikea and pass to your contractor so they can construct something that can fix those internal stuff. My bro-in-law did that.

hmm those are drawer runners, can just get and ask any contractors to install

however, personally still prefer blum or hettich over ikea's runners

though more expensive than ikea ones, think they'll last much longer :dancingqueen:

Keitong : We ended up engaging my parent's lobang after we'd approached Ikea for a quotation on the breakdown of its cabinets & misc stuff per feet & cost. Looking at Ikea's costs for the whole kitchen based on an estimated size, the cost is higher than my parent's lobang costs in the end.

Right now, satisfied with the kitchen carpentry done by my parent's lobang and it is some savings saved in comparison actually.

Applefreak : Blum is a reputable one but have yet to come across any product endorsed by Blum for the house at the moment. :rolleyes: maybe someday then. :dancingqueen:

Edited by BunBun