Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
skyy

How To Fill Up Long Vertical Cracks On The Wall?

Hi,

My wall got some long vertical cracks... How can i fill it up? using silicon?

How long can that last? Any good contract that can do it well? What is the cost?

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

To skyy,

The cracks are common occurances which are not serious & usually happens around the outline of newly erected walls. Just touch up on the paint work when the crack gets more obvious.

think you should use putty to fill up the cracks

then paint over it with a better-grade paint e.g. 3-in-1, all-in-1 to cover the crack :thumbs up:

Hi.. where do i get putty? Any contractor to recommend to do it? or can i do it myself?

Hi.. where do i get putty? Any contractor to recommend to do it? or can i do it myself?

can just get from hardware shops or paint shops

it's not that difficult to do it yourself, just fill in the gap and paint over can liao :thumbs up:

Skyy,

You can try the hardware shops and ask for cornice powder or plastering powder. But one thing before you do anything is to let you know that even if you put the plastering powder then you paint over right.. it will only cover the crack for certain period of time only.

Otherwise than that, you can only used the paint to go over each time the crack appears. There's no lasting to it. That's all I can tell you.

Applefreak,

My advice for you is to check with HDB first, if urs is done by ur ID, then, please check with ur ID before proceeding. Always seek for professional advices before heading anywhere.

Applefreak,

My advice for you is to check with HDB first, if urs is done by ur ID, then, please check with ur ID before proceeding. Always seek for professional advices before heading anywhere.

thanks for your advice, i got the hdb contractor to fill up the gap liao

just that at my old place always got this kind of thing so learned how to DIY instead :notti:

Hi, thanks for all the reply. Think i will find a contractor to fill up the gap.

Will the crack be cover well if i cover it with a wall papper?

like what joe_ling mentioned, the crack will reappear again

if you cover with wall paper and the crack get bigger, the wall paper will tear wor

that's why some of the premium grade paint is 'elastic', so when the wall crack again the paint will 'expand' to cover as well :unsure:

like what joe_ling mentioned, the crack will reappear again

if you cover with wall paper and the crack get bigger, the wall paper will tear wor

that's why some of the premium grade paint is 'elastic', so when the wall crack again the paint will 'expand' to cover as well :dunno:

Wah! the cracks will get bigger and bigger ah! mine is very small now... in that case think i have to ask someone to come do it for me already...

Skyy,

Why don't you take a photo and post it up and we're able to see, comment & advice you better. If your crack is very thin & very small & not so obvious, then just used the premium grade paint as mentioned by applefreak to go over it every now & then. Choose those wash & wear & paint that has the ability to cover cracks.

Do allow me to remind you, the crack may appear every now & then as it depends on mother nature's weather & the building expand & contract pressure.

If you would used the wall paper to cover the crack, my advice is don't. If the wall cracks & chips beind the wall paper, you may find lumps appearing on the wall paper in no time. & in order to get rid of the "bumps", you've to removed the whole wall paper & redo everything all over again. You will waste more money in this way.

Do what is right & do what is necessary