Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LGG

The Interior Place

Hi Chris,

can I see ur defect photo? I am also in the defect stage now.

email: tension_z@hotmail.com

Hi

i'm almost in the stage of signing contract with them, can you share with me or fellow forummers your experience with TIP?

:bleah:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Brightred,

She did change in the end when she realised all I wanted to change was the base wood. But her argument was funny and illogical.

To continue my encounter. I must say it is not in chronological order. I will put down what I remember. My wife has more on this cos she dealt with her more.

On wallpaper, she quoted me $1500 for a small wall. We paid . It wasn't very well done though with the sides popping out . She got the guys to rectify but same thing happened. We approached one of the companies she engaged and they quoted us $450 for the same thing. The company she used charged $650.

Now I recognise she must earn from it too. It is business after all. But seeing her profit margin and the level of work done, I must say it is pretty frustrating. So my advise, go to the wallpaper company straight.

She charged very high for electric works as well so we got our own. Anybody will know that the wiring should be done first before the false ceiling goes up but her guys went ahead and put up the false ceiling before we even did the wiring for lights. So she had to remove it and put it up again. We did requested for changes which she obliged , of course, with appropriate additional charges.

Now I also recognise she must have many worksites to go to so I don't expect her to check on my house everyday ( though I have known of contractors who do that ), but as the work went on, you can tell she doesn't really seem to know what is going on . If she did come to check, the above-mentioned wouldn't have happened.

There are ways to save on renovations though.

1) Do you own painting if possible. A tin of sealant costs about $75 and a tin of 5l paint is about $50-$60. For my place, we used about 2 tins of sealant and 3 5l paint and 2 1l paint. So it was about $300-$400. Think a contractor charges $1100 at least . Doing your own painting also helps you to spot defects in the work.

2) Go to the wallpaper company on your own. I have contacts if you need.

3) Go the carpenter on your own. Again, got the contact of a great guy who did my kitchen and who I am now engaging to do my wardrobe and other carpentry stuff.

Contractors are basically also middlemen who engages those companies and tell them what they do. They will hike up the prices for their own profit. It might take more work and time but you can save quite a bit.

I have already given her the last payment which i regret. She promises great customer after-sales service but I can tell you that once you paid her 100%, your priority drops. At least, that's how I felt. Think my wife took some pics of the defects. I will check with her.

Will input more as I remember , guys.

Later...

Hi Chris,

Agree you with you on the wallpaper bit man. She charged me about the same price for 1 piece of wall as well. In the end when I went to Goodrich direct, I can have my 4 walls wallpapered for the price of 1. I can understand if margins are charged for areas where there is high value add like designs of carpentry work, wall / mirror features. If it is simple as taking paper, putting glue and pasting on the wall, I would expect the margins to be lower. Thanks for the tip on the last payment thingy.

Geez,

This thread is getting my full attention as TIP is also one of my final shortlisted ID. They do appear quite professional and I thought by paying a premium should at least guaranteed me a worry free reno. Judging from Chris experience, I think I should re-evaluate them. :sport-smiley-004:

GIdler

Hi all,

Just got home and thought I probably should add this while I remember.

Do beware if you guys are using floor laminates . They use a company called Supreme. The workmanship the first time round was pretty disappointing. Uneven finishing on both the floor and skirting was obvious. Got them down and they re-did the whole thing but after a month , due to contractions, gaps are beginning to show.

They promise to come down and re-do it again but all I wanted is for it to be done right the first time. Keeping my fingers crossed on that.

I had some hacking and changing of door position for the master bedroom. The finishing on the new wall isn't satisfactory as well with obvious bumps showing even more clearly after painting. At first , I thought it probably is impossible to get a perfectly flat finish but after viewing another flat done by another contractor, I realised it is totally possible . So if it is possible , then it must be the quality of her workers that is lacking.

We had an instant heater installed in our master bathroom . The wall is a dark chocolate color . The plumber used white colored plaster to finish up after the piping was done. To us , it was unacceptable finishing and we managed to rectify that.

I think the main thing is that she will always tell us that something can't be done but we will later find out that it can and has been done by other contractors .

I agree that doing your own painting enables you to identify plenty of mistakes which you should get the contractor to rectify before paying up in full. I did my own house painting and would have missed many little "lobangs" here and there as well as other "dents" in my wall if not for the painting.

I compared their prices with about 7-8 other quotes and found them to be one of the most pricey. My suggestion is to get many quotes for a good comparison. Price doesn't always give a complete picture since there are other variables such as quality of materials, workmanship etc.

Here's something I didn't understand though. Their official website is "The Interior Place". However, when I was given a quote by C**dy, it was issued under "The Interior House" letterhead. A quick check with HDB has thrown up that both are the same company/address/tel number. The good news is that both don't seem to accumulated any demerit points with HDB. Anyone can shed some light on the situation? Why similar names with same add? Confuses the consumer. (I didn't bother clarifying with them since I didn't go with them in the end.)

Geez,

This thread is getting my full attention as TIP is also one of my final shortlisted ID. They do appear quite professional and I thought by paying a premium should at least guaranteed me a worry free reno. Judging from Chris experience, I think I should re-evaluate them. :)

GIdler

Don't be too overly affected by the comments you read in the forum. These comments are merely that of the personal experiences of different individuals under different circumstances. Your experience may be very different. However, don't throw caution to the wind either since there is sometimes no smoke without fire. Anyway, contractors were one of the top 5 complaints lodged with CASE in the past few years. That basically just says the average Singaporean is probably not going to get along with their contractor/renovator.

Oh no....I am doing some hacking of walls to extend merge my masterbedroom and study room. Man, i better keep my eyes peeled with a big big torchlight on that day. I think better take leave the whole day to observe the hacking process. I was telling her that I am afraid that the hacking of the wall which is near toilet may damage the tiles of my toilet due to vibrations. She assured me that it will not. I asked her if damage how and she was not able to give me a convincing reply. Better agree with her upfront first and get it in writing.

Hi all,

Well, my purpose of sharing my experience is not to smear my contractor . It's just to hopefully help anyone about to start renovations . The feeling of getting shortchanged because we are newbies is horrible.

Ya, realise she never gives a clear answer to many things but based on what you said, she basically will not compensate u should there be damage to the tiles. Sorry but after this renovation process, I got a little jaded with contractors. I hate having my good faith in people taken advantage of .

Another tip I just remembered. Always keep all smses sent by yourself to her or from her to you. I realised she can have a very bad memory when it comes to timing so it helps to have evidence of correspondences in such or similar events.

Remember that all tips are not just subjected to this company but to all contractors. I do believe there are worse ones out there .

Hi Chris & everyone

First of all, I would like to thank my faithful & loyal client to inform me of this forum that is circulating about me & my company. I'm really very thankful to those out there as my supporting customers. I am Candy, manager & also one of the director from The Interior Place. I am very new to this kind of forum & in fact this is my first time reading it but I have heard about this forum & never have the time & chance to read.

Very sad & disappointed to see what Chris had badmouth about me. After all I have been in this industry for 11 years, this is the 1st time I come across this type of issue. Since you've all heard his version & now I would like to explain my version (instead of just listening to his side of the story... ...) Since I want to be true & transparent so there's some words which you might not like to hear. Jus hope for your understanding....

Quote - 5 Apr

As you mentioned, you came to me because someone RECOMMENDED us to you & you ARE IMPRESSED by our workmanship. Lets begin with the 1st day of reno : I specified to you & your wife that both of you must be around on the 1st day of work for job briefing but you were not able to be around and left my tiler and myself including my electrician to run through the details with your father-in-law, your wife & her brother. Under normal circumstances, it should be ok but somehow things do not turn out to be. Maybe you are not aware how they changed the entire layout during the briefing.. Can anyone imagine when all tiles have been already been sent to the jobsite & just because of certain comments made by a 3rd party, everything has to be changed right down to the selection of tiles and even scolded me "stupid" for suggesting a certain layout... That certain 3rd party kept questioning why this have to be in this position & why that has to be in that position??? I mean, everything was discussed and confirmed in the office before we started the reno works and on the 1st day of work, everything was changed after certain comments were made.. I understand that sudden 3rd party involved is never easy (or I should say 4th party involved) & even let them decide there and then to change whatever they want. I know that this is my job & I will have to be 101% patient & try to fulfill their requirements as much as possible. Actually, I really think that you & your wife including her family do not not trust us at all, since you mentioned that you trust us!!

Quote - 6 Apr

With regards to selection of tiles ; the tile showroom that we brought you to is about 25,000 sqft! I would like to emphasize here that you want me to be as detailed / transparent as possible & you mean you dont know that from the begining my quote for the tiles is at $3psf? The cost of the tiles were specified in the very 1st quote! During our discussion, we agreed to have a top up if any tiles cost more than $3. Its very reasonable in this market. I am someone that will not take extra amount which is not mine. Just like I transfered the extra $300 which you overpaid to your bank a/c before CNY. Till date, I still want to maintain my trustworthiness & keep our responsible reputation.

Plumbing issue : Yes, you were supposed to have a site briefing together with our plumber, but you were so late that my plumber had to go ahead first as they have to rush to another job site after yours. As for taking away anything from the bathroom, I really wonder how much would our plumber earn after taking away those existing pvc pipes to sell or to re-use? maybe 10 cents or 20 cents? i wonder abt the current value of pvc pipes! I thought everything went well when I rec'd your sms to say the plumber did a very good job, I was so relieved to hear that. As for the water valve, I really do not know why it suddenly cracked. Everyone, pls figure out, we checked every connection for leakage during hand over (last day), yourself, your wife & I together with the plumber agreed that everything was completed & was done to your satisfaction and then you made the last payment.. I really doubt that you will pay me if the works were not completed.

After all, I think is a small misunderstanding regards to change the base wood of the vanity. I never say no to your requested & changed it immediately & its at my own cost.

Quote - 6 Apr from chris to brightred

I'm very glad that you went to the wall paper company directly because it will become their liability. You will then understand that you had to do all co-ordination & be prepare for any other hiccups. We often get into trouble with the wall paper company when they failed to do a proper job or irresponsible applicator which then indirectly damage & affect our reputation. It become our costing if the wall paper company not going to rectify any faults which they seem accpetable. In these scenario, we had to engage another applicator to rectify at our own cost.

With regards to your own electrician & Aircon man ; I really had a very very hard time to chase after you everyday for a date from your own contractors. As I had mentioned during the 1st day biefing before letting your wife sign the schedule that we have to stick accordingly to our schedule as its the peak season before CNY. My schedule stated very clearly on which day & when should your own contractor work. To my surprise, you didn't even bother to inform me that your own contractors could not make in time. In the end, I have to redo & at my own cost for something that its not my fault. I think you forgot again ! The top up you make is as per my sms , is for the L-box depth that you want. I couldn't complete your reno as per schedule just becos of your contractors again & again delay & can't even fix a date. Do you know its hard for me to book my other group of workers & I had to changed the timing again & again as I need to book them 1 week in advance as explain to you through sms. Just like to share with you, that I almost got into depression due to your project but I fully understand that I had to fulfill my job no matter how tough it will be. If I'm just anyone (sales designer) I think I will be the first to resign & just escaped from it. But I didn't do that & still serve you with my best.

Quote - 7 apr

I really tried my very best to be as cautious as possible as I know your expectation & we agreed everything to be black & white. As everytime you will tell me its ok but things don't turn up to be that way.. Just like you mentioned in your sms to me that you were SATISFIED with the GOOD JOB DONE BY OUR CARPENTER. Didn't know that you have a different view now! Dear Chris, if you are not satisfy with our job, pls come directly to me/my company, we will definetly do up the whatever defects. We are not someone that will try to escape. Based on my responsibility & reputation of company, we are definetly looking into long term business. But of course our company 1st case by you will definetly put us a stage higher to view from higher & different perspective.

I'm not trying to win any sympathy votes from anyone. I just hope that everyone here will understand from my position. I would not dare say that everybody here must share the same view but I just want to explain the whole story from my side so that everyone will have a clearer scenario.