Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kajua

Gas Water Heater Versus Electric Water Heater

Anyone know which one is better?

Was intending to get the Gas Heater from City gas but then was told it would cost more in the long term then electric storage heater. Also was told electric heater is better, especially storage ones

So now undecided

Anyone with experience with the city gas free gas heater care to share the experiences?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

There are quite a few discussion on this thread (but some may be slightly older). Check these out:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4494

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=643

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2411

Cheers!

BTW anyone knows the current free citygas heater given does it still have the problem of only 1 shower point will be hot at any one time?

is there this problem?

so far okay, only thing is it can't support two rainshower at the same time !!

I was reading from the thread that because it outputs 5l/min of hot water, it will be able to support 1 shower point at a time, if 2 people showering at 2 different shower point at the same time, the one further away from the heater will not get hot enough water. But those post are like 2 years back, so not sure if it still applies.

BTW notice that Citygas has took down the free gas heater ad on their website, it was still there couple of weeks back.

I love the gas water heater.

Hi LadyLuck, have your family ever use more than 2 showering point at the same time? Is it hot enough for both side? Thanks.

BTW anyone knows the current free citygas heater given does it still have the problem of only 1 shower point will be hot at any one time?

I supposed the problem still exists, or at least for me. I cannot have two showers being used at the same time.

Bill-wise, I also do not think I save alot, maybe because of usage habits; I cannot stand cold water, so I will let the water run until it gets hot (gas heater will only work when you turn on the tap/shower). But I will (try to) save the water in a pail and use it to wash feet or flush the toilet.

Thus, while I save electricity by not using an electrical heater, my consumption for water and gas increase. In the end my overall bill is still hovers +/- $150, which I think is about the same as every standard young couple (both working, no kids, seldom cook) in a 5-rm flat.

Edited by zirhk3355

I was reading from the thread that because it outputs 5l/min of hot water, it will be able to support 1 shower point at a time, if 2 people showering at 2 different shower point at the same time, the one further away from the heater will not get hot enough water. But those post are like 2 years back, so not sure if it still applies.

BTW notice that Citygas has took down the free gas heater ad on their website, it was still there couple of weeks back.

Hi LadyLuck, have your family ever use more than 2 showering point at the same time? Is it hot enough for both side? Thanks.

hmm i've only tried to use 2 shower points once

with me using the one further away from the heater

the water is quite hot so don't think the 'water not enough' problem has got to do with the heater

more like water pressure?

we don't use the hot water direct from the heater, we'll mix some cold water coz it's too hot to use to shower liao wor

so water pressure is good

as for cost saving, can't really tell coz this is the first time i actually have a utility account with more than 1 person staying in a unit

but for 5 adults, regular cooking and the heater being used for at least 5 times a day

my SP bill hovers around $160 - $180 :furious:

Wah, five adults...mine only got 3 adults, every morning by 8:30am everyone is out, until 6+ then come back. Even so, won't on the aircon until 10+ when we go to bed...

I supposed the problem still exists, or at least for me. I cannot have two showers being used at the same time.

Can share which model is your gas heater? Not sure if it is only one model from Citygas.

hmm i've only tried to use 2 shower points once

with me using the one further away from the heater

the water is quite hot so don't think the 'water not enough' problem has got to do with the heater

more like water pressure?

we don't use the hot water direct from the heater, we'll mix some cold water coz it's too hot to use to shower liao wor

so water pressure is good

as for cost saving, can't really tell coz this is the first time i actually have a utility account with more than 1 person staying in a unit

but for 5 adults, regular cooking and the heater being used for at least 5 times a day

my SP bill hovers around $160 - $180 :bangwall:

Can check what is your gas heater model also? Just to compare compare. Main savings maybe come for free gas heater... :notti:

think there's only one model, free or not

coz that's the only model approved for HDB use

other gas heaters can only be used for private homes

although replacement can only be gotten from citygas,

the same space can be used for storage heater in the future (except the gas pipe) so don't see any major issues :notti:

mine is the rinnai one, though a few years back it's another brand :bangwall:

hi all,

just called Citigas, NO MORE FREE gas heater. :bangwall:

Haha...I just called too, the customer officer told me they have run out of stocks, new stocks arriving next month but not sure if the FREE promo will still be on.

Anyone know which one is better?

Was intending to get the Gas Heater from City gas but then was told it would cost more in the long term then electric storage heater. Also was told electric heater is better, especially storage ones

So now undecided

Anyone with experience with the city gas free gas heater care to share the experiences?

I signed up the free gas heater when I got my formal new flat in 1999. I have installed the gas heater abit far away from the shower room which I normally used resulting water balanced in the pipe has to be drained away initially causing water wastage. My gas heater is situated nearer to the kitchen sink. As such, if you turn on hot water from the kitchen sink tap, the hot water will flow to there without reaching to the mixer taps in the shower room if you happen to be showering that moment.

This free gas heater broke down after 3 years. I spent $250 to purchase a Rinnai one for replacement.

The advantage of gas heater is only the unit cost of gas as compare to electricity, thus making some savings in your utility bill.

I'm now using an electric heater water storage tank in my resale flat. Turning it on only for shower. Surprisingly, the water in the tank is still warm when I use it 24 hours later.

I signed up the free gas heater when I got my formal new flat in 1999. I have installed the gas heater abit far away from the shower room which I normally used resulting water balanced in the pipe has to be drained away initially causing water wastage. My gas heater is situated nearer to the kitchen sink. As such, if you turn on hot water from the kitchen sink tap, the hot water will flow to there without reaching to the mixer taps in the shower room if you happen to be showering that moment.

This free gas heater broke down after 3 years. I spent $250 to purchase a Rinnai one for replacement.

The advantage of gas heater is only the unit cost of gas as compare to electricity, thus making some savings in your utility bill.

I'm now using an electric heater water storage tank in my resale flat. Turning it on only for shower. Surprisingly, the water in the tank is still warm when I use it 24 hours later.

Hi, you seemed to imply that the gas heater can heat up the water immediately; is that true??

Everytime I switched on my kitchen tap (which is right below the heater), it would still take awhile before it gets warm. My MBR toilet even worse; I have to let the water flow for like almost a full pail before it becomes warm.