Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
plumsource

Recommendation For House Plants That Don't Attract Bugs

Hiya,

Can anyone recommend house plants, and how to plant them so that they won't attract bugs like fruit flies and mozzies?

I would like some big plants because I love the greenery, but afraid of it attracting mozzies.

thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hiya,

Can anyone recommend house plants, and how to plant them so that they won't attract bugs like fruit flies and mozzies?

I would like some big plants because I love the greenery, but afraid of it attracting mozzies.

thanks

plants dont normallly attract fruit flies or mozzies. you might get ants, and if you dont take good care of them, some whiteflies. if you want BIG ones, try ficus elastica, yellow cane palm, bamboo..

plants dont normallly attract fruit flies or mozzies. you might get ants, and if you dont take good care of them, some whiteflies. if you want BIG ones, try ficus elastica, yellow cane palm, bamboo..

Thanks gumbokins.

schfflera (sic) is also very nice, and easy to maintain. as are monstera, philodendron :dunno:

um...you've lost me when u start mentioning the latin names....I knew what the bamboo looked like as for the rest...pictures pls :dunno:

Plus... important to add: I am not green-fingered. Many plants have died in my hands. So pref something that is easy to maintain and also hardy.

thanks yoongf for the link.

with foliage plants, quite hard to kill unless you totally neglect them. you can start with money plant or ficus elastica (IKEA has some nice big ones, can get pots also) and go from there. these plants require minimal maintenance (i water mine once a week only), just some plant food tablets and are non poisonous (in case you have kids/pets)

thanks for the link, very helpfu. !!

I remembered that I've seen plants in office buildings that have some brown balls on the surface of the soil. Is this just for decorative purposes or do they serve another purpose? Anyone can enlighten?

those are expanded clay balls. you can grow plants in them, we had a project using them for orchids, the clay balls would hold water and allow aeration of the roots. it's also cleaner than using soil but i havent seen many plants grown in them. usually would put on the surface of the soil for decorative purposes, or in my case, i filled my large decorative pot with them first before putting in my potted plant to act as both a base (the big pot was quite deep) as well as allow for the roots to grow out of the original pot.

Expanded clay balls serve many purposes. In shopping centres, normally, the plants are in very dirty looking cheap pots, placed in decorative containers. Easy to replace plants that way. The balls are used as filler to fill the gap between the plant pots and the decorative container.

Another purpose is to retain moisture when used in soil.

Another purpose is as a soil cover, so that when watering potted plants, the soil dun splatter and dirty the surrounding.

Expanded clay balls comes in 2 types.. one is the 1cm diameter ball, the other is like chipped stone which looks more natural.

I see, can they be brought for home use? if so, where can i get some? I would use them the same way, sounds logical and looks better than exposed soil. They r non toxic right? I have small children.....on second thought what if kids choke on one of these...haiz...

yeh its possible that the kids might think it's a sweet or something

or marbles. lol.

non-toxic yup.

i bought mine from IKEA, a small bag for a few bucks.