Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
BlueFly

Ventilation Fan In Toilet

QUOTE:

Hi,

Would like to find out how you managed to get HDB approval for the installation of the ventilation fan in the toilet?

My flat is exactly the same layout as yours and I am also using Summit. But my ID said that installation of ventilation fan will most likely not be approved by HDB

UNQUOTE

Been asked above question by Fanguojun (and other forumers) when photos were posted on my blog showing the ventilation fan installed in my toilet window.

Fanguojun, I am not surprised by the response of yr ID.

In fact, 2 prospective IDs and a few window fabricators I had approached were also uncertain whether they cld get HDB's approval for the change from louvre to top-hung casement windows, and also for the installation of the ventilation fan. One fabricator even told me to go ahead to replace without seeking HDB approval, and they will do the installation for me! Obviously that wouldn't do, as the onus (and penalty) is on the flat owner and not on the fabricator or ID.

I think it helped that my ID's window fabricator has many years' experience in the industry and has been approved by the BCA for window installation. In my written request we explained to the HDB that the toilet was situated in the kitchen, and if the toilet had no vent fan, it wld be nauseating to cook or have meals in the kitchen when someone does his business in the toilet.

I also pointed out that HDB had previously approved vent fans in bathrooms & toilets for other HDB owners, so a precedent had already been set.

After a week HDB sent me the approval letter with a long list of conditions!!

You can see from the photos on my blog that laminated glass for the casement window in the toilet and bathroom was used instead of frosted glass. This was a requirement of the approval.

Cutting a hole in the laminated safety glass was another story.

Hope that answers yr question. :jawdrop:

Edited by BlueFly

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
QUOTE:

Hi,

Would like to find out how you managed to get HDB approval for the installation of the ventilation fan in the toilet?

My flat is exactly the same layout as yours and I am also using Summit. But my ID said that installation of ventilation fan will most likely not be approved by HDB

UNQUOTE

Been asked above question by Fanguojun (and other forumers) when photos were posted on my blog showing the ventilation fan installed in my toilet window.

Fanguojun, I am not surprised by the response of yr ID.

In fact, 2 prospective IDs and a few window fabricators I had approached were also uncertain whether they cld get HDB's approval for the change from louvre to top-hung casement windows, and also for the installation of the ventilation fan. One fabricator even told me to go ahead to replace without seeking HDB approval, and they will do the installation for me! Obviously that wouldn't do, as the onus (and penalty) is on the flat owner and not on the fabricator or ID.

I think it helped that my ID's window fabricator has many years' experience in the industry and has been approved by the BCA for window installation. In my written request we explained to the HDB that the toilet was situated in the kitchen, and if the toilet had no vent fan, it wld be nauseating to cook or have meals in the kitchen when someone does his business in the toilet.

I also pointed out that HDB had previously approved vent fans in bathrooms & toilets for other HDB owners, so a precedent had already been set.

After a week HDB sent me the approval letter with a long list of conditions!!

You can see from the photos on my blog that laminated glass for the casement window in the toilet and bathroom was used instead of frosted glass. This was a requirement of the approval.

Cutting a hole in the laminated safety glass was another story.

Hope that answers yr question. :dancingqueen:

thanks bluefly for sharing the info. One question: who did the writing to HDB? You or the ID?

thanks bluefly for sharing the info. One question: who did the writing to HDB? You or the ID?

The windows fabricator applied on my behalf -- seemed that HDB required the licensed fabricator to apply for approval -- when I replaced all the windows in my flat.

My ID told me that ever since some windows fell and drop to the ground floor owing to corroded aluminum rivets, the HDB has been stringent in their approval for windows replacement.

So I decided to email the reasons for my window replacement request to my ID and his firm then sent the written request to the HDB.

Thus everybody was involved :sport-smiley-018::notti:

I installed the ventilation fan and have been using it for about 3 - 4 months now.

Found it quite good, keeps out insects and mosquitos. Also no frosting on my glass and mirrors when i bathe. Cost me $350... a bit expensive but worth it.

ID told me HDB will not approve the ventilation fan in toilet and he told me just buy the ready made from KDK and design is quite nice, dun need to cut anything, just install near window panel that side can already..

ID told me HDB will not approve the ventilation fan in toilet and he told me just buy the ready made from KDK and design is quite nice, dun need to cut anything, just install near window panel that side can already..

Some IDs don't like to do extra work, so they always find excuses. You paid good money for yr ID, so tell yr ID you will only believe if you see HDB's reply, even if yr request is not approved.

FYI, if HDB approved my request, which was (1) for a change from lourve window to casement window and (2) for the installation of vent fan, I don't see why your request should not be similarly approved !

Yes, KDK has a model (costs about $150) that uses a plastic panel to cover the entire window, then the vent fan is installed onto the plastic panel.

But I don't like that approach because it means the entire window is covered up permanently, leaving only the small vent fan opening.

Instead, I installed the other KDK model (costs about $52 with GST) that requires the window pane to be cut to attach the vent fan. Then, after someone has used the toilet, the vent fan is switched off, and the window can be opened to air the toilet. The vent fan is used to prevent the smell from getting into the kitchen or bedroom when someone is doing his business.

So this way I have the flexibility: open the casement window if I want to, or use the vent fan if needed.

And did I mention it is much cheaper too? :dancingqueen:

DSC_7175.jpg

Edited by BlueFly

Some IDs don't like to do extra work, so they always find excuses. You paid good money for yr ID, so tell yr ID you will only believe if you see HDB's reply, even if yr request is not approved.

FYI, if HDB approved my request, which was (1) for a change from lourve window to casement window and (2) for the installation of vent fan, I don't see why your request should not be similarly approved !

Yes, KDK has a model (costs about $150) that uses a plastic panel to cover the entire window, then the vent fan is installed onto the plastic panel.

But I don't like that approach because it means the entire window is covered up permanently, leaving only the small vent fan opening.

Instead, I installed the other KDK model (costs about $52 with GST) that requires the window pane to be cut to attach the vent fan. Then, after someone has used the toilet, the vent fan is switched off, and the window can be opened to air the toilet. The vent fan is used to prevent the smell from getting into the kitchen or bedroom when someone is doing his business.

So this way I have the flexibility: open the casement window if I want to, or use the vent fan if needed.

And did I mention it is much cheaper too? :sport-smiley-004:

DSC_7175.jpg

Hi bluefly, how much did it cost you to change the the window to a casement type?

Hi bluefly, how much did it cost you to change the the window to a casement type?

Hi Fanguojun,

My ID charged me $1,300 to replace all the old iron windows in the 4R resale flat, without any grills as I didn't want to feel "locked-in". The price included installation of the vent fans in the bathroom and toilet.

I had also obtained a quote from Panggiap for the same work scope. They quoted me about $2,300 via email after coming to my place to take measurements. Installation of vent fan will be charged extra. I also called other windows fty from the classifieds and generally got quotes of $1,800-$2,200 !! You should call yourself to get a feel of the unhealthy market practice -- most suppliers charge what the consumer can bear, not what is reasonable.

Most flat owners (like myself) thought going with a ID costs more than directly sourcing from the market place. My experience has been otherwise because the ID's firm has good contacts and long relations with the suppliers, so was able to get good pricing and pass the savings to the customer.

:yamseng:

hi bluefly, thanks much for the idea and picture and i know wat to tell my ID le.. :yamseng:

You are welcome, babytan! Have a nice renovation! :yamseng:

May I know if you emailed to HDB or wrote in by snail mail? Can I know the address to write to?

I'm planning to get a ventialtion fan and need to get approval too...

The windows fabricator applied on my behalf -- seemed that HDB required the licensed fabricator to apply for approval -- when I replaced all the windows in my flat.

My ID told me that ever since some windows fell and drop to the ground floor owing to corroded aluminum rivets, the HDB has been stringent in their approval for windows replacement.

So I decided to email the reasons for my window replacement request to my ID and his firm then sent the written request to the HDB.

Thus everybody was involved :unsure::P

It looks to me that the ventilation fan and the securing screws are situated inside of the apartment and not outside. Since this is the case, why is a HDB approval still required?

hobbes187:

My ID firm handled the task of writing the letter (reasons given by me) and sending it by snail mail. A HDB technical officer is usually assigned to take charge of one or more apartment blocks -- you should contact him. The officer name i/c of yr block is in the HDB Infoweb under your account (you need a password to log in).

If you wish to write the letter yourself the address is also on the web.

You may call HDB directly to get your id and infoweb access password sent to you if you don't have or lost it.

Pl let me know if you need further help.

==

Delirious_jeff:

Like the humor in yr id...

HDB approval has nothing to do with the screws or location of the fan. Most of their requirements are perplexing and they don't usually explain why they require approval for such-and-such changes to the flat.

I was told HDB was concerned with safety issues. Someone may throw an object from higher floors that may shatter the glass panel of the casement window on lower floors, and causing injury to people walking on the ground floor. Hence my contractor had to use safety laminated glass for the casement window.

Obviously if you don't change yr lourve window to casement type, and you mount the vent fan onto a plastic panel that covers the entire lourve window, you don't need approval.

As explained in an earlier post, I changed to casement window and mounted the fan onto the glass panel for not only lower cost but greater flexibility / convenience.

:)