Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Starscream

Marble Floors / Skirtings

Hello. The flat we bought has broken marble (white/grey) throughout living/dining and the bedrooms. A real pity to hack and redo the tiles. We hope to do a polish n shine. The marble looks like this:-

Item-MarbleRT.jpg

My question is that some are stained yellow/brown.. can they be restored? Also is it possible to replace a single or a row of tiles separately? Any info is appreciated, thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Perhaps you can check with yr ID/contractor to see if the polishing can rectify them somehow? There are 2 types of polishing - wet and dry. Heard wet is better but so far, contractors quoted me dry prices. I heard that for wet polishing, they have to bring in the machinery to do. :P

But hey, yr marble is nice! Mine is those pastel pastel broken marble kind. Think white, pink, slight brown... rojak! =)

The thing about marble is that is not meant to be consistent in tonality. Old and new stocks colour wun be the same. Replacement from different batches wiill be very obvious is a patch job.

What can do.. is to see if can replace the damaged ones in a manner that as if got checker board pattern. May need to replace some ok tiles to get the complete pattern. then ppl think is like some high end hotels where got pattern on the floor.

Thanks for your advise. I think no checker / pattern board mixed into the floor will be suitable or look nice. What about yellow / brown stains, can they be removed? I understand Marble is porous and thus stains easily and for the same reason stains can be removed too using a poultice of sorts.

The thing about marble is that is not meant to be consistent in tonality. Old and new stocks colour wun be the same. Replacement from different batches wiill be very obvious is a patch job.

What can do.. is to see if can replace the damaged ones in a manner that as if got checker board pattern. May need to replace some ok tiles to get the complete pattern. then ppl think is like some high end hotels where got pattern on the floor.

Thanks for your advise. I think no checker / pattern board mixed into the floor will be suitable or look nice. What about yellow / brown stains, can they be removed? I understand Marble is porous and thus stains easily and for the same reason stains can be removed too using a poultice of sorts.

Marble stains can be removed with some powdery chemicals... but.. it will restore to original material colour. If the rest of the floor got some aged look.. then.. the restore spots will appear different from the aged look.

Anyway.. I think. for natural material floors.. the more ramdom... different.. is nicer than trying to find uniformity.