Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jeddie

Need To Hack Ceramic Floors To Lay Parquet?

hi

the installer told me that there is no need to hack the ceramic floors to lay the parquet. In fact, it is better to overlay as it is more even.

whereas some ids told me that it is a must to hack the flooring, do cement screeding , so the parquet can be laid.

anyone can tell me which is the right lay to pay parquet? the ceramic floors are abt 8 yrs old..

appreciate any advise here.

Edited by jeddie

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Laminated flooring, optional to hack the existing tiles.

Parquet, you need to hack ... else how to do to cement screed below.

Who say need to hack? Contractor? Bluff u one lah.

I did not hack and also no need cement screed. At first contractor told me not possible... I told him some say can... and also ask him specifically why not? Then later, he told me can provided it is not their responsibility if old tiles underneath pop up and damage the parquet.

Err.... I will take that risk! Has anyone seen tiles pop up?

To me... most of the time, it is just an excuse contractors give to charge you more. Don't get sucked into it. Tell ur contractor... no...INSIST that someone else, ie. me, has overlayed parquet before.. so it CAN be done!

Laminated flooring, optional to hack the existing tiles.

Parquet, you need to hack ... else how to do to cement screed below.

5 out of 5 of my IDs told me that.

If Parquet, need to hack existing tiles then cement screed before installing parquet

2 out of 5 said ..

For laminated flooring, also need to hack, if not old tiles will pop up.

I dropped those 2.

I don't see why the tiles will pop up now when it's been ok for the past 10 years. While on that, I'm now not too sure about Parquet since you done it without hacking ..

5 out of 5 of my IDs told me that.

If Parquet, need to hack existing tiles then cement screed before installing parquet

2 out of 5 said ..

For laminated flooring, also need to hack, if not old tiles will pop up.

I dropped those 2.

I don't see why the tiles will pop up now when it's been ok for the past 10 years. While on that, I'm now not too sure about Parquet since you done it without hacking ..

After I have seen the hacking work... then I understand why all of them would say that.

When they hack... they instruct the foreign workers to hack everything... it is not as if they will pay them more to hack the room tiles.... it is all in a day's work. In fact, it is more troublesome for them to tell workers to hack everything EXCEPT the room tiles. So whatever extra they charge you for hacking the room tiles is PURE PROFIT!

If room tiles survive the hacking process... then why does anyone need to do cement screed? It is already level!

I honestly believe it is just their way to make more money from you. You only need to do cement screed if you hack.... but most of the time.... they phrase it the other way around....."you need to hack to do cement screed".

Ask them the rationale of doing so..... if the possibly of "pop up" tiles is the reason.... then just insist that you do not want to hack.

After the debate of hacking or not hacking is over, contractor no longer has any gains to insist.... then you'll find that everything that was cannot, suddenly can. Suddenly, no need cement screed also can lay parquet leow. Amazing industry!!

Edited by Max383

actually tiles do pop up suddenly especially for old flat. My MIL flat is 18 years and suddenly the tiles pop..one straight line across the hall. I think apple jie tiles also pop suddenly over night if u read her reno blog.

My house is now 20 years and hubby find that the room door cant close smoothly recently. He notice the tiles are no longer even. We also notice it around the whole house that tiles are not as even as compare to 8 years ago when we shift in. But for new house, i dun think it is a prob lah until 15 years later. maybe by then, owners would have shifted.

well it have to see..depend on the floor,if is still in good shape and not unbalance..

Parquet can just do overlay..but careful while chose the wood..cant be too thick...

if you want to know more.can pm me,i can give your my hubby hp.you can ask him. :bangwall:

as my hubby doing parquet flooring..

and my old house is overlay too...

my ceramic tiles are just 8 yrs old, looks very new. but the house is 27 yrs old....

still undecided whether to hack or overlay..

Who say need to hack? Contractor? Bluff u one lah.

I did not hack and also no need cement screed. At first contractor told me not possible... I told him some say can... and also ask him specifically why not? Then later, he told me can provided it is not their responsibility if old tiles underneath pop up and damage the parquet.

Err.... I will take that risk! Has anyone seen tiles pop up?

To me... most of the time, it is just an excuse contractors give to charge you more. Don't get sucked into it. Tell ur contractor... no...INSIST that someone else, ie. me, has overlayed parquet before.. so it CAN be done!

Wont it interfere the door?

Wont it interfere the door?

Door can be trimmed at the bottom. Ur contractor can do it for free or token fee of $10-20 per door. If you change new doors... then no problems at all.

a lot of work...how about flooring to the bathroom? the edge of the different level between outside and inside? hope you got me

a lot of work...how about flooring to the bathroom? the edge of the different level between outside and inside? hope you got me

My seem like a lot of work but the contractos will know what to do. Simple for them.

Flooring near the bathroom should be tiles, not parquet. So when u replace the tiles, u can add more cement... not complicated at all.

hi

the installer told me that there is no need to hack the ceramic floors to lay the parquet. In fact, it is better to overlay as it is more even.

whereas some ids told me that it is a must to hack the flooring, do cement screeding , so the parquet can be laid.

anyone can tell me which is the right lay to pay parquet? the ceramic floors are abt 8 yrs old..

appreciate any advise here.

DEPENDS ON WHAT PARQUET YOU ARE USING.

IF YOU ARE USING TEAK PARQUET 12MM X 2" X 8" OR 10".

THEN THE ANSWER IS NO NEED TO HACK!

JUST INSTALL ON TOP OF THE CERAMIC FLOOR.

WHY NO NEED TO HACK?

REASON IS THAT THERE IS NO NAILING NEEDED.

ONLY GLUE AND WOOD ... THAT'S ALL.

IF YOU ARE USING LONG STRIP OR PARQUET WITH LONG LENGTHS MORE THAN 12".

THAN SORRY. THE ONLY SOLUTION WITHOUT HACKING IS

PUT A LAYER OF PLYWOOD.

THEN INSTALL ON THE PLYWOOD.

However all said and done. your overall height will be higher.

hence, your doors may be affected.

still, there are ways to go around it.

your parquet installer will let you know.

i hope my explanation is clear.

Hi all

Question: If my house now is laminated flooring over parquet, do i need to hack the laminates and parquet just to lay homo tiles?

thanks

my reply is that your laminated flooring is NOT GLUED ON. VERY EASY TO REMOVE OFF.

no need to use the word "hack". just unclick and keep your laminated flooring.

as for the parquet, they are GLUED TO CEMENT. you have to hack if you want to.

buy in my opinion, you can lay your ceramic tiles over the wood paruqet.