Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
poppytree

Life Story Versus Life Storey

Hi Henry,

It depends on how particular you are about the kind of mattress you want to sleep on. Warehouse sales or showroom sales are essentially the same. They are just retailers buying in bulk from wholesalers (or maybe even parallel import as in Living Story's case) or overstock inventory or old model clearance, selling at a big discount. The difference is that in warehouse sales, you may not get to try leisurely on your dream bed before you purchase, which I think is risky. You might end up buying a mattress you find not comfortable sleeping on later; and I doubt any retailer would agree to refund or even exchange/trade-in for such big discount sales.

When I was working in the trade, I had come across customers telling me they bought the wrong bed, either too hard or too soft, etc.

Therefore, my advice is to do your pre-shopping homework: (1)confirm if you want a soft/medium or firm mattress. (2) American or local king/queen/super-single/single - space,bedframe & bedsheet considerations (3)what is your budget (4) Read up on the manufacturer/brand (5)understand what are stuff like: Memory Foam, Natural Latex, Talalay Latex, Pocketed Spring,etc (6) Insist on warranty/guarantee card

Finally, if you can afford the time, I think it is always prudent to check out the retail prices at big department stores before heading down to smaller retailers to get a better bargain and freebies. Generally, smaller retailers' pricing are cheaper (some famous brands may have control retail pricing but retailers should be able to get around them) though you might not be able to find exactly the same models sometimes as they are so called "house model", only sold exclusively there. But you should be able to find similar quality with a different model name generally.

As for my case, I am starting to blame it on those greedy Americans. If not for these people screwing up the financial market, I would be sleeping comfortably on my Heavenly Simmons Beautyrest Classic Mattress very soon. Keke! :dribble:

Shall I cheers? Better not, my boss is around!! :P

RENOLOGIC

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Dear all,

Please do not buy the simmon mattress from Fashion Home. Very Bad experience. Will post my experience later.

Hi Sensetalk,

What actually happened? Looking forward to your sharing...

RENOLOGIC

Anyone can advise? I brought a sofa and coffe table from living story (Fashion Home). When delivered, coffee table ok so no complaint but there is a torn on the sofa which my hubby rejected. We have paid half as deposit for both and now currently both item are at my place. We went down to complaint and demand for a new set of sofa but they say they do not have another set and ask me to accept the torn sofa but willing to give further discount. What u all think i should do? I asked for refund then they say cannot.They did not call us back on the status and now i am stuck

Suggest you look at the Terms & Conditions of your receipt. Is there a clause that says you are to receive the goods in good condition? You may have a case with CASE. Unless the discount is really significant...like 50% or more. Otherwise, I will not even consider.

Hi ilmare612,

If you really don't mind taking all those showrooms beds, you can consider thos warehouse sales that are going during the weekends. Think these avenues will be much safer as compared to Living stories, don't you think so, logic?

Hi henrywoo1978, hmm...I think mattress is one of the most important part of the furniture for a couple. I think I do not mind cutting out on other stuff to get a really good bed. As of today, we have more or less set our eyes on SERTA as it's one of the most comfortable bed we have 'laid' on. Even Simmons average range could not match up to that 'feel'...you know what I mean? :unsure: And I must comment...the china sales lady at the Simmons IMM branch is pretty unpleasant. Well, she maintain poilte thru out the discussion and even encourage us to try the beds. But when we describe the feel of our 'needs' for the bed, she commented there's one in their showroom that sounds like that description. It was a $18,000 mattress. One of their premium product. But she went on to say if we do not intend to spend so much on mattress, then no need to 'try' that bed lor :furious: Duhnz!!! We did not even have that thought to begin with. So we felt that statement was really uncalled for.

Hi ilmare612,

The reason why i suggested showroom mattress is because first of all, when couples normally go to test the bed, they will just lay on the bed gently, and you will see that they have protective covers to protect the mattress from your shoes at the end of the bed. At the most, she will just ask you to sit on the mattress and bounce abit. Seldom will you see they ask you to jump on the bed. Furthermore, they will still offer the 10+ years warrantly that is normally offered to the new beds (correct me if I am wrong). Normally I heard is they will just place the display mattresses in the showroom for a period of 1/2 year, so its really as good as new at a premuim price.

Well as for the unpleasant encounter you have at IMM Simmons, think that saleslady is not that professional so I think no point getting angry over this kind of small incident. Anyway, my wife did try that 18k bed you mentioned, and she since cannot forget the feeling of the bed, though I have no guts to try it.. haha.

Hi Kevians,

Sorry to hear about your bed experience of the sofa. Actually you should have rejected the sofa at the spot and ask them to bring back the sofa. In this case, they could just accuss you of not checking the item and that the scratch could be a result of you causing it after they delivered the items. In any case, think you better consult the CASE ASAP regarding this issue, cause this case doesn't favour you very much. Hope to hear good news from you soon.

Cheers.

Hi Kevians,

It is common sense that customer be sold goods in good condition. But I don't think any retailer would put in a clause( as suggested by one forummer here) in anyway to state explicitly that customers would be guaranteed receiving goods in perfect, flawless condition because human error (QC oversight, damages during delivery,etc) is possible and unpredictable. At best, they may include a clause that says goods found faulty, etc must be communicated within "x" numbers of days upon delivery or else any claim would not be entertained.

For your case, Living Story has the obligation to get it replaced or repaired or alternatively offer you compensation in the form of discount or maybe a free gift, which is not uncommon in furniture trade. Sometime retailer may not have stock in their inventory, so exchanging another set immediately is not always possible. Particularly, if yours is a fabric version which is custom-made(fabric chosen by one customer may not appeal to another) so retailer would be reluctant to replace a new set, preferring to get it repaired. Therefore, depending on how severe the "torn" is, you may want to consider the options with an open mind before going down to negotiate. A crucial factor is do you still have balance payment? Resorting to CASE should only be the last resort because it is time consuming and you would have to pay some fee. I am sure no retailer would want to waste time going to CASE over a trivial matter they can handle, either.

So, please cool down and ponder over my humble advice and see if you can get it solved amicably.

RENOLOGIC :)

Hi Henry & ilmare612,

So Henry you actually meant "showroom piece" when you said "showroom mattress"? Haha, I misinterpreted that you meant buying mattress from mattress showroom vs warehouse mattress sales!

On the point suggested by ilmare612, I must agree that mattress/bed is the most important investment among all furnitures because we actually spend approximately one third of our life-time on our beds. A good, comfortable uninterrupted sleep would make us waking up energised for the new day's challenges.

Therefore, it make sense to invest a little more on a good mattress/bed, which is why I am seriously considering buying the Simmons mattress offered by Living Story (below $2k :dribble: , or anyone knows any cheaper elsewhere?) to replace my 8 year-old King Coil which is giving me all the aches all these years (didn't change because of thriftiness), but not until reading SENSETALK share his/her experience first.

And personally, I would not buy showroom piece. The thought of so many strangers had already laid on it makes me feel uneasy. But having said that, to the uninitiated, you could still be sold a showroom piece by any unscrupulous retailer out there without your knowledge. So scrutinise your mattress when its being delivered to you :notti:

:yamseng:

RENOLOGIC

Edited by Renologic

Hi Kevians,

It is common sense that customer be sold goods in good condition. But I don't think any retailer would put in a clause( as suggested by one forummer here) in anyway to state explicitly that customers would be guaranteed receiving goods in perfect, flawless condition because human error (QC oversight, damages during delivery,etc) is possible and unpredictable. At best, they may include a clause that says goods found faulty, etc must be communicated within "x" numbers of days upon delivery or else any claim would not be entertained.

For your case, Living Story has the obligation to get it replaced or repaired or alternatively offer you compensation in the form of discount or maybe a free gift, which is not uncommon in furniture trade. Sometime retailer may not have stock in their inventory, so exchanging another set immediately is not always possible. Particularly, if yours is a fabric version which is custom-made(fabric chosen by one customer may not appeal to another) so retailer would be reluctant to replace a new set, preferring to get it repaired. Therefore, depending on how severe the "torn" is, you may want to consider the options with an open mind before going down to negotiate. A crucial factor is do you still have balance payment? Resorting to CASE should only be the last resort because it is time consuming and you would have to pay some fee. I am sure no retailer would want to waste time going to CASE over a trivial matter they can handle, either.

So, please cool down and ponder over my humble advice and see if you can get it solved amicably.

RENOLOGIC :)

Thanks I still have balance payment and also I have inform them immediately upon receipt. But then the problem here is that they dun bother about me and they dun even call me back despite my call to them. Now how>

Hi Kevians,

Great that you did not make full payment initially and still have balance. If this is the case, Living Story should be more interested than you to get the deal done (ie. to collect the balance). The fact that they are not coming back to you could be some internal miscommunication or poor communication (example like staff who answered phone complain did not follow up properly,etc). Therefore, as I have suggested, please consider the possible options (what I have stated in my previous sharing) first and then make a trip to the shop to negotiate with them amicably for the best possible solution.

The LOGIC is that what you wanted is a good piece of sofa you have bought from them, not going through the legal entanglement, which could cost you more time and some money in the form of a fee to CASE. Forget about who is right or wrong at this instance, just insist those guys get it done for you or if you could accept slight, minor imperfection(only you can decide), some form of compensation.

I have learned that this sort of arbitrary way of settling dispute between supplier and customers is the best solution when I worked with a foreign company in the past.

Just my two cents worth, hopefully would help. Please keep us posted of the outcome.

RENOLOGIC

Edited by Renologic

Hi Logic,

Thanks for enlightening us here. Well never been in this kind of situation before, so my first thought was to go to CASE to "frighten" Living Story. Well seems like you are really a "old bird" in this trade. Cheers to our dear LOGIC.

Hi Logic,

Thanks for enlightening us here. Well never been in this kind of situation before, so my first thought was to go to CASE to "frighten" Living Story. Well seems like you are really a "old bird" in this trade. Cheers to our dear LOGIC.

Hi Henry,

I must indeed admit that I am an "old bird", but in service industry in general, not just in furniture trade. As a front line staff for several years and now over-seeing my company's entire operations, I have encountered numerous compaints, feedbacks, etc. So diffusing customers' anger and finding the best amicable solution is what I do best :good:

Maybe Living Story, Red Apple, La Cafa, etc should engage me as a consultant :sport-smiley-004:

Just kidding :P I am happily in employment at the moment, unless got kickout for chatting RENOTALK too often

:D

And I do not just preach, I practise what I preach. I have just made two trips to a lighting shop for a faulty dining lights for a recurring problem. Talked nicely to them without blowing my head off. I think that chap must cowtow to my "coolness". What he didn't know is that he will not have a third chance though :furious:

Wah lao today again like working for RENOTALK leh. maybe RENOTALK should employ me if I got fired?? :notti:

RENOLOGIC

Edited by Renologic