Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lxiul

Kitchen Glass Sliding Door -> Anyone Do Kerb On Floor?

me doin a fix glass panel with frameless sliding glass door for my kitchen.but i just found out there was a kerb on the floor when i went to check.. did not ever recall if i said to have kerb. or is it a requirement for glass door? wonder if u guys did kerb? can show me some of ur sliding glass door image?

http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02748copytf2.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The kerb has nothing to do with the frameless door.

#1: Most contractor do a kerb because when they lay living room tiles till it meets the kitchen tiles, high chance they both are not level. So they put a kerb there to make the un-level-ness "disappear".

#2: Some say kitchen is wet area, sometimes need to wash, so put a kerb there to prevent water from coming into living room.

My house special we request don't want the kerb, coz we saw other houses some did quite high kerb. Ours turns out indeed had some slight uneveness, one side high, one side low. The tiler told me kitchen tile done by HDB was slightly tilted for water flow. I'm fine with the very slight uneveness, so :good:

If u don't like the kerb, then ask the tiler to remove it. But bear in mind my experience above.

Mine does not have a kerb. The prev owner (mine's a resale unit) does not have one nor a kitchen door so i guessed we sort of inherit the idea. We only did the glass sliding door and retiled the kitchen floor. There's this negligible small gap between the 2 heights, abt 2cm? :dunno:

I guessed we cant wash the kitchen floor like the olden days, i.e.: pour water across kitchen. Which i whd nv do nor thought to do. :lol:

i also think there might be chance it wont be level cuz different tiles. but i dun really mind it cuz the kerb seem to be an even more obvious bump on the floor then any unevenness.

If its required for the fix panel then its fine with me but must get that part that i walk in and out removed and retiled cuz me dun really like the feel. also the reason why i want to do top sliding track mah.. so shldnt have any kerb..

i think i wont be splashing water in the kitchen to wash hee.. my fridge and washing machine is not sitting on kerb so cannot do that at all.

gotta tell my ID hee.. thanks for all the advices!

fridge_domo.jpg

Yep, the kerb is not necessary. As mentioned above, some people like the kitchen area to be demarcated with a kerb but I think that's quite old-fashioned? The above pic is taken from my kitchen out to the main area. There is a glass door behind the wall (which you can see slightly). No kerb :sport-smiley-003:

fridge_domo.jpg

Yep, the kerb is not necessary. As mentioned above, some people like the kitchen area to be demarcated with a kerb but I think that's quite old-fashioned? The above pic is taken from my kitchen out to the main area. There is a glass door behind the wall (which you can see slightly). No kerb :sport-smiley-003:

hee yes yes i also think so..and further more i dun like to kick kerb.its not a drop down level for my house.so i like to level it. my ID say no problem can remove. :D

If u chose the same tile forkitchen& living hall, thanconfirmthey wont do a kerb. (see ENE pic) Actually, nowadays designers wont recomendkerb as it does not lookgd & serve no purpose for nowadays the way we wash our floor. (last time, people use to use lots of water........now we just mop it once)

Depend on the flat age. For old flat, base on HDB floorplan if they did indicate a difference in kitchen and living room floor, your contractor die die have to do a step down for you or else HDB not approve.

For newer flats, if come original no step down or difference in height it's okay for a full flat surface.

hmm i also duno why it coouldnt be even. maybe cuz we relay kitchen pipe under the cement. i guess kitchen floor cld be higher than dining area. :dunno:

anyway ID suggest to do similar color pebblewash at that stretch instead. cuz that will reduce the uneveness.

hopefully it turns out not too bad. at least no cut leg feeling and no kerb can liao.

My resale flat comes with an ugly kerb of about 7-8cm to separate the kitchen from the dining. In the end we asked our contractor to hack it off since we see it more as a tripping hazard. And somehow, it looks neater and nicer without the kerb.

But, in future, we would have to use mop instead of splashing water to wash the kitchen.

my current house also dun have kerb separating kitchen and living room. but parents also like to splash water to wash the kitchen floor but just place a piece of rag to block the water frm flowing out to living room. shldnt be a big problem for u :)