Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kesmond

Cheaper To Source For Contractors To Do Different Things?

Hi,

got my resale flat and waiting for the 1st apptment.... just want to check with u, is it cheaper to get contractors to do several things? as in one contractor to do only the toilets, one contractor to do the laminating, etc?

Cause my resale flat only need to do a bit of touchup.

1) Varnish the kitchen cabinet (e current kitchen cabinet is quite new and only need to do some polishing)

2) Relaminating the parquet floor (all except the kitchen)

3) Change the toilet bowls for two toilets.

4) Change the wall tiles for two toilets.

5) Change aircons if is not in good condition (the house is around 6-7 years old). If i not wrong, they have 3 aircons, 1 in living room, 1 in mbr and 1 in the other room)

6) Painting of the walls. (thinking of getting wallpaper for one wall in the living room)

One thing i not quite sure is if i need to do re-wiring of the electrical sockets as in to add or remove the power socket, is it possible? cause all the wires nw are all hidden in the false ceiling, if need to rewire, then have to remove the false ceiling??

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

There has been a few other threads with similar questions, do a search on the forum..

I am entertaining this crazy idea of engaging direct suppliers to provide renovation services for my new HDB flat.

So I need skilled & honest craftsmen from reputable firms of the following trades:

1. Carpenters from a reputable carpentry firm, who will fabricate my kitchen cabinet which will be in the galley layout.

One side will feature a granite acrylic resin composite sink support by concrete support protected by laminated wooden boards, the other side will be the kitchen cabinet featuring Rinnai RB-2CG hob.

2. One acrylic solid surface supplier
  3. One licenced electrician
  4. One licenced plumber
  5. One painting firm who will use the paint & painting equipment I buy from an online paint store.

So far, I have managed to source all the above.

Yes, it is an immensely CRAZY idea. But I think this craziness should save lotsa moolah, of course it comes with tremendous risk.

actually it depends on which level of personnel u have found. If u look for contractor, they will already have mark up the price already.

Unless u managed to find the ground level staff.... the tiler, the electrician, the carpenter themselves. But then, you will still need to do some market survey. If the ground level staff is not honest, they still can charge u a marked up price same as that of contractor.

Advantage:

- cost savings (how much?)

Disadvantage:

- u need lots of time to coordinate the pple.

- they can afford to abandon u coz it's a 1-time project from u (but u can use progressive payment to control them)

- your renovation period will be slightly longer

- is the cost saving justifying the time spent?

Normally u can find these pple either by word-of-mouth, or just visit some renovating flats, stick in and ask for contacts.

If you are not doing major overhaul for your place, I think it is still possible but will be very challenging...

Without a main coordinator, the key issues will be (1) people management and (2) time management. Try to understand the process of renovation to know the sequence of all the jobs involved and the time needed for each of them. Maybe having a timeline planned with ample allowance for mistakes/delays will be helpful.

Be prepared to take lots of time off from work to supervise the workers and the work done in order for the process to run smoothly.

I would advise you to source for quotation from contractors/ID firms first to confirm that the amount of savings justify for all the extra efforts needed.

by doing this, u will get endless headache.

U may end up paying more in the end, there r alot of hidden techinical stuffs that u must know if u wanna coordinate a reno urself.

u can engage a contractor instead of a ID. the price will be much cheaper, but the disadvantage is.. contractor cant design.

in fact some 'so-called ID' already cant design. so beware..

to me, the best way is... look for a qualified designer with cert,comes from design school.. to do the design & drawing... and look for a contractor to build the actual thing.

this way, u still get GOOD design, and u not only save cost, but save yourself a headache..

but looking for certified designers also need tips.

BUT definetely beats lookin for all the sub-cons and suppliers urself.. FOR SURE..

Cheers!