Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kalista

Saviour's Abode

:dancingqueen:

I have been waiting for the longest time imaginable to post my own t-blog here..... yippee finally, the time has come.

Over the past 2months++ I have been faithfully following up and digesting the most precious informations available on renotalk for renovating my new house at the cheapest costs and I think this is the perfect opportunity for me to say thank you to everyone here on this wonderful site and also to share my joy..... :yamseng:

Having been renting an apartment with hubby and children for past 3 years +, we thought it's time to buy our own unit since we calculated the total we spent on renting and :curse: it'll have burnt a gigantic hole in our pockets if we had renewed the lease now!!! We are blessed in a sense as we signed on a 2 years lease at a low rental just a month before the property market went berserk!

Finally, I have my keys to our new housenewkeys.jpg

... resale market loh - no luck for 2 years with balloting... :(

originalfloorplan.jpg

This is my original floorplan of my 4NG flat at jalan rajah.

homedesign.jpg

This is the design I'm doing to the place - hehe :sport-smiley-004: sorry, no money to spend on ID so I be my own ID :paint:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Harlowz

I also tried balloting for the past 1.5yrs with no luck and resorted to a resale unit too.... currently waiting for my first appointment in Sept! Good luck with the reno! :good:

:P Thank you!

Balloting is a waste of time...like buying toto or 4D! Once we decided we didn't want to ballot anymore, we got an agent to search a house for us and we prayed hard as a family, in church and also together in our cell meetings...God really blesses us by giving us a house within 3 weeks.. and not to mention at the budget that is comfortable for us! :sport-smiley-018:

Anyway, renovation is currently going on.....

My house before.....

oldkitsinktop.jpg we going to replace this with a new sink and concrete tiles cos the sink below is rusted beyond belief! Got a great quotation - hack away old and replace with new (sink we buy own) costs $900.

kitchencabinets-before.jpg this are the existing kitchen cabinets - hehe - very very greeeeennn; I quite like it as it has a country feel about it; I'll need to touch up a bit and give it my personal look with accessorising.... thinking of changing the lower cabinet doors to have more tones of green.. will update on the outcome.

existingcornices.jpg existing cornices are everwhere.... :bangwall: I can't get designer lights like this la.... so keeping the cornice at the living and children bedroom only.... Taking off the cornice at the mbr cos need to install new mbr built-in wardrobe and study cum play room also removing cornice to accomodate the gypson-board partition.

Gotta go now... will be back soon!

mbrfloor-yikes.jpg

The mbr flooring was laminate but see how it's spoilt at the entrance to mbr toilet - I have no choice but to redo the flooring in this room. My agent & friend told me to place ceramic tiles cos laminate don't have good waterproof capabilities...hmmm, I'm thinking of just any tiles will do - cheap and darker colour a bit :)

childrensrmwardrobe.jpg

playrmwardrobe.jpg

We didn't want to incur costs to do new wardrobes as the two common bedrooms have existing built-in wardrobes - we simply changing the look by laminating bought from home-fix costs $80+ per wardrobe (savings $1120)

childrensrm.jpg

My children's bedroom - nothing to be done here except painting and changing cornice lights - Painting to be done ourselves

studyplayroom.jpg

This is the room that I'm going to partition to seperate into a playcorner and studyarea - studyarea to be connected to my mbr (so I can be motivated to upgrade myself by studying part-time) :good:

All set to go.... renovation very minor so will be complete within 2-3weeks! Yippee..... :sport-smiley-004:

Edited by kalista

spam chop :dancingqueen:

good to see some DIY here

the savings is really great if you can reuse most of the built-ins

that's something good about getting resale

plus you get to see the actual layout before committing

Thanx Applefreak - I wish I could do more DIY like some of the forumers here; DIY would really given your house a personal touch but I'm not very good at it :unsure:

MBR toilet before - 23062008212.jpg

23062008213.jpg

MBR toilet after - 17072008290.jpg

17072008289.jpg

My new kitchen sink is up - got a promo BLANKO sink in black to offset the greeeen of my kitchen cabinets.

11072008235.jpg

And the kitchen wash-basin has also been changed (this is more for my 2 toddlers convenience)

11072008238.jpg - before

14072008257.jpg - after

17072008293.jpg

you really do like green don't you

a lot of things in green :good:

HAHAHA :D

Yeah, I never realised that I like green until I got a resale flat with built-in gree cabinets and green tiles and green everywhere! Hahaha, at 1st, I chose green mostly to go with the existing theme and so my new house won't end up looking like a clown or rainbow ..... but you know what? Now I actually like the tones of green offsetting each other - real country-looky! :thumbs up:

HDB permit took about 3 days and then hacking of the walls for the 2 new doorways took place.

My new mbr entrance from the living room rather than from the kitchen way.

newmbrentrance.jpg

mbr entrance door - frame is up

14072008275.jpg

this picture is of the old mbr entrance (left side hole) - will be sealing it up

16072008285.jpg

The door-archway to connect mbr to the study room.

11072008242.jpg

(hehe,sorry for the dark pictures - hubby & I juggling full time work with reno-inspection in the evenings plus lightings have been removed!)

tomorrow, painting works.... yippee! :paint:

Hi Kalista,

Nice layout you have there! and quite innovative to be able to incorporate a play corner for your kids. Are they the same gender that they share the same room?

My baby is still young and i do not have a play corner for her, think i'll have to give up displaying my precious moments collection if i leave a play corner for her.

anyway, keep it up. You have a lovely place there!

This is the design I'm doing to the place - hehe :sport-smiley-004: sorry, no money to spend on ID so I be my own ID :paint:

Hi, may I ask which software are u using for this? Would loved to know... thank you.

Hi Kalista,

Nice layout you have there! and quite innovative to be able to incorporate a play corner for your kids. Are they the same gender that they share the same room?

My baby is still young and i do not have a play corner for her, think i'll have to give up displaying my precious moments collection if i leave a play corner for her.

anyway, keep it up. You have a lovely place there!

Hi Cherry, my kids are still very young - my girl is 4 and my boy is 1. For us, we grew up together with our siblings sharing rooms until we were 13 so that is still a long way to go; that's y I'm getting a double-decker bed for my children's room and I created the other room as a playcorner/studycorner. This is also the only time for me and my hubby to advance our skills by studying part time, so we connected the study-corner to our mbr for "burning midnight-oils" without disturbing the children! :good:

Hi, may I ask which software are u using for this? Would loved to know... thank you.

Hi ilmare612, I was using free software, smartdraw, which you can download a free trial from http://www.smartdraw.com/ .... if I'm not mistaken, the trial is for 7 days so you gotta finish your layout asap if you don't want to buy it!! :paint: And it's super duper easy and fun to use :sport-smiley-018:

Who is your coordinator in charge? You all engage a contractor to oversee?

Hi LGG,

Yeah, my agent/friend recommended this contractor to us - he's been very helpful and good. But as kiasu as we are :notti: , hubby and I been going there everyday for inspection and calling our contractor for any clarifications/unhappiness/etc .... make sure no mistakes and make sure that mistakes are being rectified. I told my contractor until our house reno completed, my hubby definitely be calling him more times in a day than his own wife :rofl:

So, I guess the coordinator in charge ... is also us? :unsure: