Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
weevenge

Bad Customer Service - Howard Storage World (hbf)

Dear all,

just want to let out some steam, i brought a plastic (toyogo type but another brand) Jumbo stocker box from Howard Storage World (Habourfront Center) today, and when i went home to assemble it, i discovered that one of the leg is missing. I immediately called HSW and spoke to this Kiat guy, not only was he not apologetic about the extra trouble that i went through and then he start blaming me that i shouldnt have assemble the box when i realise that there is a leg missing, i then explain to him that i only realise that only when i try to fixed the final layer.

He then come out with all kinds of reasons and request that i bring the whole carton and the 90% assembled box to the shop for him to see and examine. I explain to him that if it is possible for me to bring back the last layer or maybe he can replace that one leg for me, then he start telling me that his supplier wouldnt believe him and that such thing couldnt have happen. Again i told him i have no queers about my integrity and my conscience is clear, if he dont believe me he can by all means reject my request for a replacement leg, and i will just treat it as i am unlucky to meet with such a lousy merchant.

I understand where he is coming from and i do not rule out that some people out there may have damage their purchase and try to pull a fast one, I am an upright person and someone with a clear conscience and whatever that i am saying is the truth and i am not someone who is out for petty gains or having some monkey business up my sleeve, finally he say he give me the benefit of the doubt and he is willing to exchange it for me but the condition is that i must bring back the all other unassemble parts to him so that and only that he will replace it.

When he say he gives me the benefit of the doubt i am seriously quite pissed and i told him that if he doesnt believe me, he should just say so and dont force himself to do something so unsincere, he then proceed to tell me and i quote him "Seriously i dont care who you are, you are just a customer to me".

Can you imagine a merchant telling a customer this????, although i am very pissed but i still i tries to explain to him that this should not be the approach that he should take to his customer and he should try to fill himself in my shoe if i were to repeat his statement to him. I wish to emphasis that during the whole scenario, i was never loud nor rude and i was in my normal tone trying to reason with him.

To be fair, this kiat guy and his colleagues were really nice people WHEN i was shopping in the store, they were helpful and gave suggestions to my requirement for my purchase, but after i paid for my purchases, things seems to be on a different tune afterwhich.

I guess it is still better to stick with Ikea for plastic products like this.

My 2 cents worth

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

yep yep totally agree... i must say that they are were well trained in their sales and customer enquires skills, but when it comes to customer services and exchange policies they are far far away from even meeting the 50% mark. I guess if the company had been efficient and taught their employee well, i wouldnt even need to post the original post.

just my 2 cents worth

best

wee

All please raise your hands who has ever been on the phone talking to anyone for more than 30 minutes for the past 10 to 20 years of their existence? Okay, please lower your hands if that 'anyone' is someone you know....ie, lets rephase the question to the context of strangers such as customers/suppliers etc etc.

The point is that, unless your job is to sit at a table and talk to a customer, you will NOT have the skills to communicate as effectively over the phone. Most people may not realise that talking over the phone is not as easy as you think. This is because most humans are visual people and we take cues from body language, facial expression etc.

So it is VERY very easy to miscommunicate when you write (like what I am doing now), or talk over the phone. It would be better if the communication is face to face (ever wonder why some ministers fly all the way to meet their counterparts? Heck, why can't they just call or videocall?)

So do discount a bit the experience and the next time, goes down to the store and talk to the kiat person. Your body language and tone would have 'shown' what really happen and the salesperson body langauge and tone would have let you 'know' how far they would have service the request.

BTW: Training for customer service is **** difficult in singapore in our context of how 'we' the customers treat the service staff. You just take macdonals or other fast food (or even the bus captains). In the beginning they will say "good morning....can we help you...thank you" and what not, but over time, when the average Singaporean shows them that with or without the GEM service, the transaction is still done within 60 seconds, most service staff will drop the troublesome routine.

Just my 2.07 cents worth (with inflation).

PS: Maybe ask your spouse or someone to go down with the receipts and talk to someone 'other' then the person whose business relationship already damaged...and see if the store service the complain differently B-)

Hope that make sence

Edited by Ideasmiths

You said you understand there ARE other customers who would pull a fast one after they damaged the goods themselves, but you expect the salesman to believe you are not one of them?

Unless he knows you personally, I would say that he is correct to comment that he is giving you the benefit of doubt, ie believing that you are not pulling a fast one. But your reaction to his 'benefit of doubt' is uncalled for; since he already said he believed you, why go challenge him further?? Although crude, he is not wrong to say that you are just another customer to him, but that did not came until you pissed him off too by saying he's not sincere.

Well alot of things take both hands to clap; when someone scratches your back, fine if you do not want to scratch him back, but pls don't turn around and slap him.

I have a friend who like to complain and everytime he complain, he will say "I want to speak to your manager". Most people will become defensive on hearing this. My point is there are ways to complain and get positive results and there are ways to screw it up right from the start. Give others a yard and they will give you an inch.

This got to be the most ridiculous support statement i heard this morning. Irregardless of who is right or wrong, sincere or even insincere, no CS shd talk or behave that way. HSW is a reputated and big company, not your regular geyland roadside store.

Customer is ALWAYS King even how you dislike it. Feedback/comments a more positive word than complain, is always fill with some form of fustration and emotion, don't add oil to it. Diffuse it!!.

I saw a recent program that talks about saying "sorry" and how this small word can help calm and diffuse a lot of frustration and move the conversation to a little more productive level where issue can be resolve. That's what the customer wants, not calling you after purchase and find fault.

Positive attitude and mannerism got to be basic, you wear your company uniform or logo on your chest and behave like "samseng". Somemore a reputated company like HSW.

If this guy "kiat" works for me, he will be warn and if no improvement is made after explaining to him the basics, he will be asked to leave. In CS, if you cannot handle all sh*t thrown at you from customer, then this is not your cup of tea.

Keeping you will only mean 2 things, you get frustrated and the other is that the company will never have returning customers.

my passionate 2 cents :notti:

You said you understand there ARE other customers who would pull a fast one after they damaged the goods themselves, but you expect the salesman to believe you are not one of them?

Unless he knows you personally, I would say that he is correct to comment that he is giving you the benefit of doubt, ie believing that you are not pulling a fast one. But your reaction to his 'benefit of doubt' is uncalled for; since he already said he believed you, why go challenge him further?? Although crude, he is not wrong to say that you are just another customer to him, but that did not came until you pissed him off too by saying he's not sincere.

Well alot of things take both hands to clap; when someone scratches your back, fine if you do not want to scratch him back, but pls don't turn around and slap him.

As i have no idea how the conversation went, but i support you on the premise that this is not the way a CS of any company should behave; challenging customer, using unnecessary words in conversation/statements to the customer.

:yamseng:

Dear all,

just want to let out some steam, i brought a plastic (toyogo type but another brand) Jumbo stocker box from Howard Storage World (Habourfront Center) today, and when i went home to assemble it, i discovered that one of the leg is missing. I immediately called HSW and spoke to this Kiat guy, not only was he not apologetic about the extra trouble that i went through and then he start blaming me that i shouldnt have assemble the box when i realise that there is a leg missing, i then explain to him that i only realise that only when i try to fixed the final layer.

He then come out with all kinds of reasons and request that i bring the whole carton and the 90% assembled box to the shop for him to see and examine. I explain to him that if it is possible for me to bring back the last layer or maybe he can replace that one leg for me, then he start telling me that his supplier wouldnt believe him and that such thing couldnt have happen. Again i told him i have no queers about my integrity and my conscience is clear, if he dont believe me he can by all means reject my request for a replacement leg, and i will just treat it as i am unlucky to meet with such a lousy merchant.

I understand where he is coming from and i do not rule out that some people out there may have damage their purchase and try to pull a fast one, I am an upright person and someone with a clear conscience and whatever that i am saying is the truth and i am not someone who is out for petty gains or having some monkey business up my sleeve, finally he say he give me the benefit of the doubt and he is willing to exchange it for me but the condition is that i must bring back the all other unassemble parts to him so that and only that he will replace it.

When he say he gives me the benefit of the doubt i am seriously quite pissed and i told him that if he doesnt believe me, he should just say so and dont force himself to do something so unsincere, he then proceed to tell me and i quote him "Seriously i dont care who you are, you are just a customer to me".

Can you imagine a merchant telling a customer this????, although i am very pissed but i still i tries to explain to him that this should not be the approach that he should take to his customer and he should try to fill himself in my shoe if i were to repeat his statement to him. I wish to emphasis that during the whole scenario, i was never loud nor rude and i was in my normal tone trying to reason with him.

To be fair, this kiat guy and his colleagues were really nice people WHEN i was shopping in the store, they were helpful and gave suggestions to my requirement for my purchase, but after i paid for my purchases, things seems to be on a different tune afterwhich.

I guess it is still better to stick with Ikea for plastic products like this.

My 2 cents worth

Eh?? That doesn't sound right...shouldn't it be "give them an inch and they take a yard..."??

not right huh? I also dun know, but i think you know what i mean. :P

zirhk3355 i think Wuga fully explains my position, if you are running a business and you speaks like the Kiat guy over from HSW, i seek to wonder how long such a mentality can sustain the business.

CS is a value added service to customer and you do not need to know the customer in person in order to provide that value add service. I am not trying to say that he is wrong to think that i am may be trying to pull a fast one, BUT should this comment be converse out even in the first place?

Seriously, I do not have any issues with this company, just that i felt that if they are prepared to operate as an entity, they should be liable and take into considerations such things to happen and change accordingly.

TYM, errmmm i did not say i want to speak to their manager/mgmt , i just told him he could have handle/ approach this situation with more empathy for customer.

Just my 2.71 cents worth (increment of 0.71 cents due to inflation annouced today)

TYM, errmmm i did not say i want to speak to their manager/mgmt , i just told him he could have handle/ approach this situation with more empathy for customer.

Err, did not say you ask to speak to their manager, just quoting an example of my friend who always ask to speak to the manager whenever he complain.

Hi weevenge,

Whilst shopping to furnish our new apartment, we'd encountered various good and bad CS; and these are the few recent ones that I can remember:-

System Error

We rang up Ikea Tampines {IT} for an item and were told that they have 14 units of this item at that store [none at Ikea Alexandra]. Thus we drove from Telok Blangah to Tampines just for that item only to find that there was a "system error"; they couldn't find the item in the store except for those on display. :jawdrop: What else can they do other than apologize for the inconvenience. *sian* Free ice cream? That'd be good CS! :lol:

Could have taken down our request

We visited Ikea Alexandra {IA} earlier to get 3 ceiling lights that we had seen at both Ikea stores before. However, {IA} does not stock this particular light now. :( We spoke to a department staff but were told it's probably available at {IT}. He suggested that we visit {IA} again after 15 September for that's when the lighting department would be ready. Could he had arrange for the lights we wanted for collection at {IA}? We do not know as we couldn't find him to clarify that. *sian* Wasted a trip down to {IA}.... didn't accomplish what we set out to get; bought 2 quilt covers and a fitted sheet instead. :lol:

Good CS encountered so far

Home Fix's CS is good. They took note of the SimpleHuman sink top wire shelf we wanted which was available at another store and have it arranged to be picked up from a store most convenient to us. HomeFix@HF :thumbs up:;)

Best CS encountered so far

We bought most of our light fittings from Chan Huat and have this foyer light which has been a constant trouble [still is :(]. We rang up Ms Sammi a few times and she is so ever patient to assist in rectifying the problem. She even visited us to collect this light fittings; return the light fittings; arrange for another replacement; arrange for yet another site fitting. So paiseh to be bothering her over the same light again and again. Ms Sammi from Chan Huat....she's the best CS! :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Cutlery Tray Exchange - HSW@HF

We bought some household items at HSW@HF recently and after a few days, we re-visited HSW@HF with a cutlery tray that we bought by mistake as it didn't fit the drawers. Our exchange was entertained and we got another cutlery tray that fit. Mr Tan, the store manager attended to us on both occasions.

This store manager is probably very good with managing a store and dealing with customers he meets in person. We have not spoken to him on the phone for any issues though. Based on what you had recounted, he should really work on his telecommunication skills.

I do hope you'd a more pleasant experience getting a replacement for the item at the store. :)

KK

Edited by kastlekonfusion

Hi weevenge,

Whilst shopping to furnish our new apartment, we'd encountered various good and bad CS; and these are the few recent ones that I can remember:-

System Error

We rang up Ikea Tampines {IT} for an item and were told that they have 14 units of this item at that store [none at Ikea Alexandra]. Thus we drove from Telok Blangah to Tampines just for that item only to find that there was a "system error"; they couldn't find the item in the store except for those on display. :jawdrop: What else can they do other than apologize for the inconvenience. *sian* Free ice cream? That'd be good CS! :lol:

Could have taken down our request

We visited Ikea Alexandra {IA} earlier to get 3 ceiling lights that we had seen at both Ikea stores before. However, {IA} does not stock this particular light now. :( We spoke to a department staff but were told it's probably available at {IT}. He suggested that we visit {IA} again after 15 September for that's when the lighting department would be ready. Could he had arrange for the lights we wanted for collection at {IA}? We do not know as we couldn't find him to clarify that. *sian* Wasted a trip down to {IA}.... didn't accomplish what we set out to get; bought 2 quilt covers and a fitted sheet instead. :lol:

Good CS encountered so far

Home Fix's CS is good. They took note of the SimpleHuman sink top wire shelf we wanted which was available at another store and have it arranged to be picked up from a store most convenient to us. HomeFix@HF :thumbs up:;)

Best CS encountered so far

We bought most of our light fittings from Chan Huat and have this foyer light which has been a constant trouble [still is :(]. We rang up Ms Sammi a few times and she is so ever patient to assist in rectifying the problem. She even visited us to collect this light fittings; return the light fittings; arrange for another replacement; arrange for yet another site fitting. So paiseh to be bothering her over the same light again and again. Ms Sammi from Chan Huat....she's the best CS! :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Cutlery Tray Exchange - HSW@HF

We bought some household items at HSW@HF recently and after a few days, we re-visited HSW@HF with a cutlery tray that we bought by mistake as it didn't fit the drawers. Our exchange was entertained and we got another cutlery tray that fit. Mr Tan, the store manager attended to us on both occasions.

This store manager is probably very good with managing a store and dealing with customers he meets in person. We have not spoken to him on the phone for any issues though. Based on what you had recounted, he should really work on his telecommunication skills.

I do hope you'd a more pleasant experience getting a replacement for the item at the store. :)

KK

Hi KK,

Yep yep , like what you say they were good in person as also encounter and describe in my original post, but when over the phone service, they realli suxs.......

Anyway to update alittle bit on the the exchange situation when i was in the store, another customer happens to buy another similar box, the kiat guy was checking the box content and he told the customer infront of me that he is helping him check the content to make sure everything in place before he hand over to him, on top of that he added a VERY value added comment " this customer here (refering to me) brought something from us and he now come back to change because something inside missing... which is impossible...so i am checking before i hand over to you". I can understand the steps he is taking to check content, but in the first place he didnt check my purchase originally, and to top it off ... he added the latter statement infront of me which again is uncalled for ....

the attitude of this guy and his comments i leave it to you guys to gauge, but for me probably it will be the last time i buy from them again....