Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Guest our-home

Our-home No. 3 For 3

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Guest our-home
*blink blink* 18th anniversary?! Wao! That's a long time together already! Congrates and may u guys have many more 18s! :D

Yep. After the 10th one, each time I tell him the anniversary year, we both shake our heads and say - wah! tahan so long already!

Many thanks for the well wishes - we hope for many more 18s too!

The new switch looks cool!

Doesn't look too bad, ya?

Many of the existing switch covers in the resale unit already quite yellow and dirty, so hubby changed those that are "exposed" or eye-level. Some of those that'll be covered by furniture, we didn't change.

Bought these from Chan Huat (Balestier) cos he couldn't browse at Choo Chiang (AMK), they asked him for model numbers instead.

Previous covers were Clipsal, so he just bought the same brand (to be safe) to change.

Guest our-home

Master bedroom parquet floor: Before

Masterbdrm-floor.jpg

Common bedroom floor: Before

Commonbdrm-floor.jpg

After resanding & repolishing: Sept 29

Master bedroom

CIMG2086.jpg

Common bedroom

CIMG2087.jpg

Guest our-home

October 6:

Found out something new today about choosing laminates for carpentry:

That small passport-sized piece you see on the sample board/catalogue may not be the same as a big piece pasted on the wardrobe or kitchen cabinet door.

We chose a dark wenge-coloured laminate for our kitchen cabinet - with narrow, almost non-existent lines. On Friday Oct 3 we went to check on the installation of our kitchen cabinet and it had bird's eye stripes running parallel, vertically to the dark wenge we had chosen.

Apparently, the laminate company has A4 size samples available upon request for customers to view before deciding - something which we were not aware of.

Hubby and I took a long time to decide to have the laminates changed cos don't think we can live with that design. So now kitchen cabinet doors are removed and waiting for laminate company to revert ...

Colour of laminate we wanted - from sample board:

CIMG2106.jpg

What it actually looks like - the rest of it:

CIMG2102.jpg

Edited by our-home

wahh ur room's flooring so shiny after polishing...look as gd as new!

Hi to the owners of "Our Home No.3" - Can you please tell me how you refurnish the parquet flooring? We have the same type of parquet flooring for our bedrooms and wanted to revanish it especially to a darker colour. The new colour of your floor is exactly what we are looking for? Can you please please share it? I have a headache as to make it right, the last contractor did not do a good job and painted over our kitchen cabinet and wardrobe a orangy colour which looks bad. We have since stopped the work and are still thinking what to do?

Guest our-home
wahh ur room's flooring so shiny after polishing...look as gd as new!

Yes, we were surprised and happy to see it looks as good as new, too.

Now the trick is to maintain these parquet floors ...

Guest our-home
Hi to the owners of "Our Home No.3" - Can you please tell me how you refurnish the parquet flooring? We have the same type of parquet flooring for our bedrooms and wanted to revanish it especially to a darker colour. The new colour of your floor is exactly what we are looking for? Can you please please share it? I have a headache as to make it right, the last contractor did not do a good job and painted over our kitchen cabinet and wardrobe a orangy colour which looks bad. We have since stopped the work and are still thinking what to do?

It was in the list of things we wanted our contractor to do. He said the floors, especially near the windows were quite badly damaged and also our new built-in wardrobes were shorter than the existing ones (below the old wardrobe the parquet was not polished at all), so have to "re-grind"/re-sand, then revarnish/repolish. It cost us $250 for one bedroom.

I wasn't there when it was being done, just went to take pix the next day when it was dry.

Previously I called two other parquet companies from the Yellow Pages: The Quarternary and The Parquet House for quotes, about $450 - $500 for two rooms (re-grind & repolish) either matt or semi-gloss. Mr Ng from The Quarternary told me that it wasn't possible to lighten my existing parquet floors if it's already stained with melamine (I wanted them lighter in colour).

Or you may wish to get in touch with my contractor?

Hope this helps.

It was in the list of things we wanted our contractor to do. He said the floors, especially near the windows were quite badly damaged and also our new built-in wardrobes were shorter than the existing ones (below the old wardrobe the parquet was not polished at all), so have to "re-grind"/re-sand, then revarnish/repolish. It cost us $250 for one bedroom.

I wasn't there when it was being done, just went to take pix the next day when it was dry.

Previously I called two other parquet companies from the Yellow Pages: The Quarternary and The Parquet House for quotes, about $450 - $500 for two rooms (re-grind & repolish) either matt or semi-gloss. Mr Ng from The Quarternary told me that it wasn't possible to lighten my existing parquet floors if it's already stained with melamine (I wanted them lighter in colour).

Or you may wish to get in touch with my contractor?

Hope this helps.

Hi - thanks for the info.

Guest our-home

We've been very, very busy packing and cleaning up the apartment.

Have some time for more pix and updates before we move this week.

Common bathroom: Before

Commonbath2.jpg

After: Oct 3

CIMG2131.jpg

CIMG2134.jpg

Master bathroom: Before

Masterbath1.jpg

After: Oct 3

CIMG2135.jpg

CIMG2137.jpg

Door stopper (design new to me ... ):

CIMG2151.jpg

Wao! Ur parquet reali looks new after polishing. :thumbs up:

Yeah, can see that the laminate is really different from the sample. Thanks for the tip about the A4 size. :)

Looking fwd to more pics of ur nice new home!

Guest our-home

Takes some time to upload to Photobucket, here goes:

Kitchen: Before

Kitchenfromlivingroom.jpg

After:

CIMG2129.jpg

CIMG2139.jpg

CIMG2138.jpg

I think our kitchen is one of the rare few without a cookerhob & cookerhood. Daniel (our contractor) kept checking with us before he made the solid surface top.

After so many years of marriage - we're absolutely certain we don't need one.

Wao! Ur parquet reali looks new after polishing. :thumbs up:

Yeah, can see that the laminate is really different from the sample. Thanks for the tip about the A4 size. :)

Looking fwd to more pics of ur nice new home!

Yep, we're happy with end result for the parquet floor.

After we found out about the actual design of the kitchen door laminate, were so unhappy about it and called the laminate company to clarify, our contractor decided to settle the matter for us.

Out of goodwill, Daniel, our contractor, changed the kitchen doors and lower cabinet laminates for us - no extra charge for the new doors and labour to install. We appreciate his gesture very much.

Thanks, more pics to come!

Edited by our-home

Guest our-home

Common bedroom wardrobe: Before

Commonbdrm-wardrobe.jpg

After: Oct 6

CIMG2144.jpg

Master bedroom wardrobe: Before

Masterbdrm-wardrobe.jpg

After:

CIMG2146.jpg

hi, so for your wardrobes & kitchen cabinet.....you only change the laminate? or change everything?

it really looks good leh!

oh yah, your toilets really looks greats after the change! good choice!