Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
priyalok

What To Look/avoid For Kitchen Sink

Planning to buy a new kitchen sink with tap.

Not expensive. Medium budget.

What I should look for or avoid while buying.

Which shop/location have more choices.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Depends on your budget. Friend were telling me to look for sink with rounded blend. This means that it is produced and stamped out from single piece of metal instead of welded. I think good brands like Blanco should be stamp from single piece of metal.

However, when we were selecting our sink, our selection criteria was more wrt to design, practicality(some pretty cool with metal basket at the drainage), FS(your FS master might tell u what direction u need for your tap etc), usage needs and space constrain(* Important to check via measurement or with your ID to make sure u get a sink that is not too big)

Good places are like Poh Joo for value for money. Personally, I don't like to buy from Hoe kee if got a choice cos people aren't very friendly thru price ok. Go Jalan Besar and u will have full of choices. Cash and carry best for me cos can inspect and make sure what u pay is what u want.

Whatever model or brand you are getting, take note.

DO NOT BUY those with an attached dustbin like mine. -_-

There's no rubber lining and water goes through it. :(

Even there's a rubber lining, I'm not sure how long that will last.

Don't make the same mistake as me, I took out the whole dustbin and seal up the cover using silicon sealant from beneath. Or else the cabinet below is always wet.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=10727&hl=

For sinks & taps, there's a stretch at both sides of Jalan Besar, Poh Joo, Chuan Heng, Bellari, Hoe Kee (not recommended) are there. If you are going there on weekday, do note that they all close before 6pm.

HTHs

Planning to buy a new kitchen sink with tap.

Not expensive. Medium budget.

What I should look for or avoid while buying.

Which shop/location have more choices.

Get a sink (1) that is large enough to hold your largest-sized wok (2) one with two bowls (3) slightly curved bottom so that debris will flow to the waste-hole easily (3) one that is easy to clean and maintain and finally, (4) parts that are easy to find and replace.

Our previous Japan-made sink was constructed of stainless steel (easy to clean) and had a 5-inch waste hole with a s/s drainage basket that sat inside the waste-hole to collect kitchen waste (we wanted that, but found it tiresome to clean later, as mold and algae formed on the basket after a few days!!), and was large enough to bathe our baby in it !! :sport-smiley-004:

What that sink needed repair (the outlet hose beneath the sink broke) we had a hard time finding a replacement hose that would fit the large waste hole of the drainage basket container.

DSC_8380.jpg

Our current sink is a black Blanco granite sink. Only downside is the flat bottom of the sink, as waste bits are left on the flat bottom and had to be hosed to the waste outlet to clean the sink properly -- a minor inconvenience. We think the the rigid plastic hose parts beneath the sink will probably last a long time (our guess only).

Apart from that, we prefer the Blanco sink over ur previous stainless steel sink. :yamseng:

Edited by BlueFly

I agree with cutiepinkelephant and bluefly. After looking around looking for sinks, it seems hoe kee has the best average price range sinks and taps. In the end, i bought the same sink as bluefly. HoeKee was having sale so bought it at lower price than normal.maybe you can see their website.

I agree with cutiepinkelephant and bluefly. After looking around looking for sinks, it seems hoe kee has the best average price range sinks and taps. In the end, i bought the same sink as bluefly. HoeKee was having sale so bought it at lower price than normal.maybe you can see their website.

hee. i oso bought the same sink after sourcing ard for some time.

Don't agree. Poh Joo carry cheaper sinks and taps than Hoe Kee. Of coz brand differs, but they are all sinks isn't it?? Hoe Kee stuff are of better build & quality.

Different market:

PJ=budget to medium priced brands

HK=medium to high priced brands

actually u only need to look at the above 2 places for the items u are looking for.

hoe kee is the sole agent for blanco sinks so their price is hard to beat

at least that's what i was told :P

to find an ideal sink, one has to consider

1. material - stainless steel, composite (commonly known as granite)or porcelain. i think these are the main stream ones

2. size - big or small? what's your available kitchen sink space? how big is your biggest cooking utensil?

3. number of bowls - single, double or three bowls?

4. budget - how much you are willing to pay for a sink?

:yamseng:

Hi Bluefly, I just bought a similar blanco black granite sink like yours. Glad to hear that it's a good sink! Phew! Btw, does it come with two stoppers (the type that you press down to stop the flow of water) for the sink?

Btw, anyone ever tried using the type of kitchen tap where you can pull out with a hose attached (like restaurant style)? IS it recommended?

Hi Bluefly, I just bought a similar blanco black granite sink like yours. Glad to hear that it's a good sink! Phew! Btw, does it come with two stoppers (the type that you press down to stop the flow of water) for the sink?

Btw, anyone ever tried using the type of kitchen tap where you can pull out with a hose attached (like restaurant style)? IS it recommended?

Hello carboonxy,

You've got an exotic name, "carnoonxy" sounds like some kind of granite, slate material ? :P

No matter -- yes, the Blanco came with 2 s/s perforated stoppers that you plug into the respective drainage hole for each bowl, as the sink has 2 bowls. I like the stopper design -- as you said, you simply press the stopper down to stop water draining out of the sink bowl, and just pull up slightly to let the water drain out.

As regard the tap you mentioned, my previous tap was like that, a designer piece from Grohe in red and white. I mentioned my (unsatisfactory) experience with that designer tap on my blog and explained why -- "May 20, 2008 Choosing a new faucet". <-- click to access

Those comments however may not be true today, as taps evolved and newer and better faucet designs are launched.

Nevertheless, it is wise to check out friends' experience with the specific faucet you are eyeing, simply because when you buy at the shop there is no provision to test out the faucet first.

:yamseng:

Edited by BlueFly

If you're looking for Franke products, pls PM me.

I'd be able to get it at a good price for you. No harm trying.

Products are mainly:

1) Sinks

2) Waste Management

3) Taps & Mixers

Cheers

Hi BlueFly,

You've got an exotic name, "carnoonxy" sounds like some kind of granite, slate material ? :P

No matter -- yes, the Blanco came with 2 s/s perforated stoppers that you plug into the respective drainage hole for each bowl, as the sink has 2 bowls. I like the stopper design -- as you said, you simply press the stopper down to stop water draining out of the sink bowl, and just pull up slightly to let the water drain out.

Thanks for the info! Your blog was also very useful as it provided lots of info on reno works. Nice house too! :yamseng: Btw, I realised that we used the same red tiles for the common bathroom, except that mine was not a whole part of the toilet but a few red and yellow ones here and there for design. Also noticed the price of the tile has gone up. It now costs $3.50 instead of $3. :( We also have the same red cabinets for the kitchen! ;)

Btw, how much did you spend on your back splash for the kitchen? Am thinking of doing one too. Is it worth doing? :)