Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
asianms

Home At Toa Payoh

hv PM-d u.. it's not a secret, but I guess no need to let pple know if they don't want/need to know

haha but think many people here are curious people... :P

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Congrats to your home. I agree with you it good to renovate within one means during this bad times =) I also intend to do minimal reno for my new flat. Is your contractor good? Me still looking around.

haven't found contractor. Do I need one? I thot painting call Nippon professional painters, lighting call electrician, sand/varnish wooden flooring call ?

My present big question mark is if want to change kitchen sink, toiletbowl & washbasins, can I change within hacking anything? If so, call who? Plumber?

Change toiletbowl and washbasins.. the people who supply can prolly get it installed for you for a fee. BUT for washbasins... depending on how the previous one was done some of your tiles might spoil ba. Toiletbowl is ok.

As for kitchen sink... if you find one exactly the same as your sink? haha that one I dunno. BUt might have to change top la.

Hi asianms,

you can check bishan toapayoh town council website. They have their plumbing CO, they even post their types of service and price for reference. Probably you would like to check it out...

Hi asianms,

you can check bishan toapayoh town council website. They have their plumbing CO, they even post their types of service and price for reference. Probably you would like to check it out...

thanks for the tip porkypig.

Thot I had selected lights last week, today brought son to lightshops to see lights in real life... ended up, changed all the lights!

Now, the living room lights will be livinglight196ud6.th.jpg

Bathroom lights bathroomlight50fg1.th.jpg Kitchen dinette light kitchendinettelight83iw1.th.jpg

Getting see-through acrylic ceiling fan w shades specially fitted, looks something like this (pix not the actual see-through acrylic fan, jus mock-up for us to see how the shades will look) ceilingfanwlight370tf9.th.jpg

I don't quite like it, but son is confident it will look fab, so go with his idea first. If really ugly, jus switch to regular fan light shades, and use these shades in table lamps!

Wah your house so well maintain by seller, no need to do much reno :)

yah, well-maintained w a lot of old world charm. I feel like I'm stepping back into the colonial ages everytime I look at the house. I would really like a very modern & minimalist look, but I feel v wasteful on resources to rip out stuff. Somemore, w economy going down & down, must save $ :P

looks like I'll never have a home with my dream look, cos I can't bring myself to buy a house that has not been well-maintained. I feel tat a well-maintained home is a good sign that the owner had cherished the home and there are good vibes.

Edited by asianms

I love chairs!

Over the weekend... APEX5 sent rep to discuss re-upholstery work to diningbenchcp3.th.jpg and diningchairyx3.th.jpg . The dining bench is my son's fav. We've had it for about 4 years, now cannot find in the shops, so thot as a gift to my son, give it a new lease of life. $300 to re-upholster bench & separate cushioned seat. $65 to reupholster the dining chair. Original price of the bench and 4 dining chairs (from Lami, closed down since) - $500.

Bought two XZQT chairs from eBay seller... I'm a big fan of XZQT. These chairs are selling in their shops for $598, b4 25% discount. Bought the chairs for $350 for 2, and the nice guy delivered to my place. dscf0795ml7.th.jpg

Last week, went Barang Barang and saw this coffee table that can be converted to extra seating coffeetablebenchch8.th.jpg bought the 2-seater version, price after discount $380. W a flat $50 transport charge, I feel I should buy more stuf from Barang Barang to make it more worth it!

Do u get this feeling that I have a lot of seats in my house?

I love chairs!

Over the weekend... APEX5 sent rep to discuss re-upholstery work to diningbenchcp3.th.jpg and diningchairyx3.th.jpg . The dining bench is my son's fav. We've had it for about 4 years, now cannot find in the shops, so thot as a gift to my son, give it a new lease of life. $300 to re-upholster bench & separate cushioned seat. $65 to reupholster the dining chair. Original price of the bench and 4 dining chairs (from Lami, closed down since) - $500.

Bought two XZQT chairs from eBay seller... I'm a big fan of XZQT. These chairs are selling in their shops for $598, b4 25% discount. Bought the chairs for $350 for 2, and the nice guy delivered to my place. dscf0795ml7.th.jpg

wow re-upholstery does sound like a better option. Since the stuff you bought were quality stuff then giving them a new lease of life this way is GOOD! and cost saving! :)

feel very happy today, can sense my house coming together.

Bought reno shifu to see the place today to provide quote, and v happy:

- whole house painting using free choice of paint

- minor sanding and varnishing of wooden floors (3 bedrooms & living area) & main door

- removal of wall light points & changing/installation of lights & ceiling fan

- additional power point to be created in study room

- hacking of false wall & haulage charge

- changing main door lockset

- changing of water storage heater

Total: $2k

He's a man after my own heart... he assessed each item I requested for and gave me his opinion whether there was any need to do eg. I asked him whether I need to varnish all doors and door frames, he inspected then said it is expensive to varnish and the wood is in good condition, so no need to varnish

The previous owners say they can handover on 11 Jan, shifu says he can get all work done in max 10 days. My house will be ready for CNY! yippee!

Been very busy over the past few days checking out curtain shops. For the same fabric that my son chose for his roller blinds, MGL quoted $380, Showplace (Anchorpoint) quoted more than $400, and J&S (Plaza Singapura) quoted $344 (using the cheapest roller blind mechanism - non-spring)

Purchases so far:

Coffee table/two-seater bench from Barang Barang $380

Dining table from XZQT (1.2m extendible to 2.4m) $1480

Lights from LiteVault & Thomson Lighting (approx $780)

Things to buy:

Super single bed for son

Queensize bed for me

20l water storage heater

Main door lockset

Retractable ceiling mounted laundry airer

Definitely blown my $5k budget :P

Will economise by recycling my existing sofa by replacing the cushion seat (approx $300)

Went back to MGL today to confirm roller blind. May (staff)confirmed that they use spring mechanism, which makes their price much beter than J&S.

Son's room using material at $6.50/ft broomrblindska0.th.jpg

Study/Entertainment room using material at $5.50/ft studyroomrblindsaj1.th.jpg

Hall area using material at $11/ft hallrblinds1zo4.th.jpg

otal damage $1050

May was very nice; she tried to find cheaper alternatives similar to the material I had chosen for the hall. She was also very adamant that her staff must have the blinds ready before CNY, tho I told her after CNY was ok. Really appreciate her effort.

Things to buy:

Super single bed for son, Queensize bed for me went to Robinson's and bought Four Star mattresses cum bedframes for my son & I

20l water storage heater - checked out Ariston from Poh Joo; original storage tank was from Ariston & Poh Joo staff said must change pipes if I change brand. Ariston only has 15l and 30l. I think 30l is too big, but 15l seems v small. dilemma :dunno:

Main door lockset - checked out Shanghai Tong Lee, but forgot to bring measurements :bangwall:

Congrats on your new home & everything going smoothly.

Great reno shifu there that meet your budget & rush within short period..

before CNY, workers may leave for their hometown....

MGL curtains - I remember seeing the hall + study area ones. Great choices!