Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
snowie

Mr & Mrs Wong - Home Sweet Home

Finally our house renovation has completed. Credit to Benedict from Earnest Interior. Let's me share on our renovation process...

Looking for Designer for our new home

Our home is located near Buangkok MRT and the HDB has sent us a letter to collect our house key after long wait for 3 years. Before the date to collect the house keys, I was busy doing research who should I look for to do our house renovation. I accidentally came across the designers from Earnest Interior thru Renotalk.com. Initially I planned to look for Zann, but I changed my mind to Benedict instead. Mainly because there is a forumer stated he is a very responsible guy and less follow-up is required during the renovation process, plus his design is mostly very practical.

Engaged Benedict as our Interior Designer

I made the arrangement with Benedict to meet up at his office area (also asking my hubby to remember to go there see see look look. heehee... ) The first impression of Benedict is very good. My hubby liked the sincere way of Benedict, telling us YES or NO straight. Those cannot be done or advise better not to do, he will tell us on spot.

Initially I had my own design in mind which my relatives asked me not to do this or that, and I insisted my way of doing (even Benedict is trying to propose some of his design to us). However, on the 2nd meet up at Benedict's previous customer place, my concept totally changed. His design really looks great in real life and my hubby also got impressed. Our house design totally changed after the visit.

Benedict also came out with a very detail schedule on what should be done before which date. His quotation also very detail and clear. There are several options for us to choose. Of course, if we select that option, the price will need to go up.

Making payment to Benedict

Benedict always prefer cheque over cash while we were making our payment. If we are making payment via cash, we will need to travel down to his office. Otherwise, the cheque payment can be done in any place. The normal break down of the payment is 10%, 40%, 40%, 10%. However, I found the stage of paying 40%, 40% is quite redundant. Therefore, I decided to pay by 10%, 80%, 10%. This is a form of trust to the designer and his reputation.

Renovation process

The renovation process is considered very smooth and most of the things go as what we are expected. Of cos there are some minor hiccups, things can be resolved by simple touch up or just accept those designs. (Well, sometimes we do feel those minor faults turn out better than the actual things we wanted, so we just leave them as it is.) Benedict was very efficient in coordinating everything, includes helping us to schedule those people to come back touch up here and there. Furthermore, his contractors are very friendly when we met them. Need to give them a thumb-up on the workmanship. (Me and my hubby hardly check up with the renovation process... We are kind of lazy.. =p)

The Extra Mile Service

Understanding our difficulties on choosing the accessories for our house, Benedict has offered to spend a day to help us to choose the lightings and kitchen accessories. Initially we went to Geylang to buy the sink and hob. He wanted to bring us to his recommended light shop, but there is a particular crystal dining light which my friend bought from Balastier before and I wanted to get the same light also. Even without the actual address on where the light shop is, he is willing to follow us to take a look at the light. After seeing the light shop, he told us something secretly (No nice to reveal here). It made me changed my mind to go to his recommended light shop to take a look before I made my final purchase. Therefore, we went all the way back to Geylang to take a look at the shop. And YES, I can find the same dining light there and the guy (Derek), who served us, is a young and fun guy. Alot of customised of my lights can be done to meet my preference. I got a great offer on my dining lights which saved me more than 100 as compare to the one offered at Balastier. At the end of the day, Benedict did tell us actually he got small commission from those shops he recommended us. To me and my hubby, both of us felt that he deserved those commission as he helped us to save alot $$ and getting lots of discount from those shops. Mostly importantly, we are very comfortable with those shops he brought us to.

There is also another day where Benedict offered to visit the curtain shop with us. He was there giving us his advise on what color to choose and what rod to get, he even bring extra copy of our house floorplan for the curtain shop. That's so thoughtful of him. (I also did bring along my floorplan that day.) In the end, he helped us to choose the curtain for the living room while my hubby chose the design for rest of the rooms. Benedict also told the sales person that we needed brass hook, not the silver ones. We don't even know there are 2 different colors. Lucky Benedict was there. The actual delivery, they brought the SILVER ONE~!! This time I smart, called back to the shop and asked them where is my brass hook?!? Heehee.. well, they came back the next day and helped us to install our brass hook.

End of our renovation journey

Our renovation experience is considered pleasant and enjoyable. Even my mum has secretly asked my hubby, "Did both of you quarrel over the renovation?". Heehee.. the answer is NO lor. OVerall, we are very happy of what we get. We told Benedict that he is welcome to bring his customer to come my house to take a look in future.

Thanks to Renotalk and Forumers for sharing information with the others. (._.)v

Edited by snowie

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Can we knw hw much E&Y charge for yr reno?Normally designer would recommand client to their own supplier coz tat's where they earn their commission. How cme designer willing to accompany u to shop for light,furniture etc?They better stay @ home or accompany their family better.

Oh... I just keep looking at Benedict and telling him I got difficulties looking for those items as I don't have any experience at all. btw, Benedict did not accompany to see furniture. He told me because he is a designer, not good for him to bring me to buy furniture. But lights, sink and hob still no problem. He needs to know my sink measurement also. Benedict is a very nice person. For those who met him before should know. =)

What is E&Y? My final quotation is 5k difference as compare to my initial quotation. I went for alot of higher price items like... CORIAN surface. hurhur... lucky my hubby never scold me for that. =p

I need to wait till go home before I can upload my pic.. Can't do it during office hours... T___T

can't wait to see your pick. Can share Benedict's contact number with me? Will like to approach him for ideas and quote.

can't wait to see your pick. Can share Benedict's contact number with me? Will like to approach him for ideas and quote.

@Ivy, I had pm you benedict number. (and I know you received my mail already. =p)

@applefreak, I can't wait to post up my pictures here. Oppss... =X

Benedict was telling us to hang some paintings onto the wall. Now quite headache about it. Price for each painting is not cheap also. Need to look for those which suit the resort theme. =.="'

PIC001.jpg

PIC002.jpg

PIC003.jpg

PIC004.jpg

PIC005.jpg

PIC006.jpg

Temporary using geocities to host my images. Restriction on 4MB per hour transmission rate. Office block alot of websites and I don't have internet access at home yet. Still trying to fix my new house internet point. If you cannot see the image, means it has exceed the hourly transmission rate.

any idea where to buy the wall clock?

u means the one from the 3d drawing? try molecue at Marina SQ, there sell many designer wall clocks, but i think quite exp

Edited by sevenlander