Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
airways07

** 1st-timer Need Help **

Hi ... l'm newbie here and would like to know the market price for a couple of renovation on end year of 2008. Will they mark-up the price since the economy is bad? We had been to 5 contractors and all are slicing your throat off and some are really yaya papaya and snobbish, my hubby get so angry with the salesmans and we have black listed them all so we are hoping to get some tips and advice and hope to get a pleasant salesman soon. Our inquiries are as such : ---------

We just bought over 4rm Resale Flat. Floor areas are 105sqm. We would like to know is it better to redo the kitchen cabinet Brand New or just change the cabinet door-which one is cheaper and would last longer? Their cabinet are still good on the inside as seen, they just redo it 2yrs ago but we do not like the color of the cabinet doors as it is colorful (Each door are different color) = the layout. we need advice on this ...

1) How much is to redo a brand New cabinet? And hacking old tiles and changing new tiles for the kitchen wall?

2) How much will it cost to redo Master Toilet and install a bathtub and we were told to have heater storage - is it really necessary? coz ppl said it wont be hot after filling up half way later Or could we just install water heater?

Which one will be better??? and to redo back the toilet tiles aswell? Should we hack it or overlay new tiles-How much will that roughly costs?

3) Common toilet - to divide it into two like the old style-small cubicle for showering and small cubicle for toilet + a simple bi-fold doors for the toilets

4) Have any of u experience scrapping wood in the middle of your living room b4? The wood are stuck all over on the centre on the walls and would like to get rid of it - Will that be costly aswell?

5) Is it a good idea to D.I.Y painting our room doors to our color or change a new one? And what are the tips if we do in ourselves? Any ideas???

l would appreciate if there are some answer to our inquiries, u could post it here or email me at :

pisces06_casey@hotmail.com

Thank You sooo much in advance! :yamseng:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi ... l'm newbie here and would like to know the market price for a couple of renovation on end year of 2008. Will they mark-up the price since the economy is bad? We had been to 5 contractors and all are slicing your throat off and some are really yaya papaya and snobbish, my hubby get so angry with the salesmans and we have black listed them all so we are hoping to get some tips and advice and hope to get a pleasant salesman soon. Our inquiries are as such : ---------

We just bought over 4rm Resale Flat. Floor areas are 105sqm. We would like to know is it better to redo the kitchen cabinet Brand New or just change the cabinet door-which one is cheaper and would last longer? Their cabinet are still good on the inside as seen, they just redo it 2yrs ago but we do not like the color of the cabinet doors as it is colorful (Each door are different color) = the layout. we need advice on this ...

1) How much is to redo a brand New cabinet? And hacking old tiles and changing new tiles for the kitchen wall?

2) How much will it cost to redo Master Toilet and install a bathtub and we were told to have heater storage - is it really necessary? coz ppl said it wont be hot after filling up half way later Or could we just install water heater?

Which one will be better??? and to redo back the toilet tiles aswell? Should we hack it or overlay new tiles-How much will that roughly costs?

3) Common toilet - to divide it into two like the old style-small cubicle for showering and small cubicle for toilet + a simple bi-fold doors for the toilets

4) Have any of u experience scrapping wood in the middle of your living room b4? The wood are stuck all over on the centre on the walls and would like to get rid of it - Will that be costly aswell?

5) Is it a good idea to D.I.Y painting our room doors to our color or change a new one? And what are the tips if we do in ourselves? Any ideas???

l would appreciate if there are some answer to our inquiries, u could post it here or email me at :

Thank You sooo much in advance!

:yamseng:

It will definitely be more expensive to try to get renovation quote during this period before CNY. rule of simple economic, demand and supply. All resources are now tied up to projects rushing to complete before the festive period.

1) Usually cabinet is charge by dimension, material costs. Cost of tiling is also dependent on the type of tiles you pick. If you are free, you can go to the recommended tiles company the forumers here use and have a look to get a sense. Of cos, dont trust those displayed prices, those are prices for the IDs. You should be able to bargain off those prices if you want to buy yourself. Although i hardly know anyone who DIY tiling.

2)IMHO, Bathtub is a waste of water and money. But its a personal choice. Me and my wife didn't bother as we know it will just become a useless ornament in the toilet after the novelty wears off. Storage tank is recommended, I think most people here use Jovan. I use something else.

3) same as above

4) never heard of it

5) yeah.. DIY painting is possible. It's of cos cheaper.

Bottom line is this. If you are not satisfied with the contractor, move on to the next. If 5 of them is not giving you good quote, then go to 15 of them.. there are so many. If you are not in a rush, try to get quote after CNY too. However, price should not be your only consideration. Workmanship, reliability and credibility are also very important consideration factors. Read through the resources on this forum, you will learn quite alot just by reading.. and you will enjoy reading them.

Visit your friends house, see their contractor's workmanship, ask around.. maybe visit some forumer's parties here and you will see for yourself.... it's better.. and trust me, a good contractor is money well spent in the end.... save you the heartache

Thank You yapyap for your kind reply :dancingqueen:

We thought to buy our own tiles and ask the contractor to fix it as we are not pro n might mess it up but not sure is it worth it to buy our own and whether the charges are about the same as having them to search for us. Wow, 15 contractors that is truly a huge to go around *will be blur to choose later* Yup, workmanship are the most priority but of coz with a reasonable price aswell. We are actually, kinda in a hurry to get it over and done with as we are now renting a place for a shelter and it gonna expire soon n the owner do not want to extend it unless we sign on another year so it abit tough for us :(

Most of our friends bought a brand new flat n do not do much just minor reno such as bult-in wardrobe and was rip off with their cabinet and suggest us to look elsewer for better deal. ANd yes, we do enjoy reading this forum and learn alot. Thank You u all :yamseng::dancingqueen:

Do u know how to post picture here coz l cant do it-l will show u what l meant about the wood sticking to the wall.Thanks once again

1) How much is to redo a brand New cabinet? And hacking old tiles and changing new tiles for the kitchen wall? it's really depends on how big your cabinet is, and what kinds of tiles you are using = )

2) How much will it cost to redo Master Toilet and install a bathtub and we were told to have heater storage - is it really necessary? coz ppl said it wont be hot after filling up half way later Or could we just install water heater? My house don't have that kind of heater storage, it's not a need, but to have such thing is alwiz better

Which one will be better??? and to redo back the toilet tiles aswell? Should we hack it or overlay new tiles-How much will that roughly costs? - reli depends on the tiles used. shouldn't cost much if using normal kind

3) Common toilet - to divide it into two like the old style-small cubicle for showering and small cubicle for toilet + a simple bi-fold doors for the toilets - it's a very common requirement, contractor price on this shouldn't vary much.

4) Have any of u experience scrapping wood in the middle of your living room b4? The wood are stuck all over on the centre on the walls and would like to get rid of it - Will that be costly aswell? - it's not at all, contractor should be charging you reasonably.

5) Is it a good idea to D.I.Y painting our room doors to our color or change a new one? And what are the tips if we do in ourselves? Any ideas??? - it's very tiring... i tried before :bangwall:

I have contractor to recommend, do you need one? They are currently doing up my kitchen cabinet, i like their workmanship very much.

Thank You sooo much in advance!

:yamseng:

Do u know how to post picture here coz l cant do it-l will show u what l meant about the wood sticking to the wall.Thanks once again

I think you will need to upload to a public image site and then link it back to the forum.

We thought to buy our own tiles and ask the contractor to fix it as we are not pro n might mess it up but not sure is it worth it to buy our own and whether the charges are about the same as having them to search for us. Wow, 15 contractors that is truly a huge to go around *will be blur to choose later* Yup, workmanship are the most priority but of coz with a reasonable price aswell. We are actually, kinda in a hurry to get it over and done with as we are now renting a place for a shelter and it gonna expire soon n the owner do not want to extend it unless we sign on another year so it abit tough for us :(

I would think that its more worth it to let your appointed contractor do everything in a package, the important thing is read the threads and then compare their quote. Bargain if you think its too high.

Commit only if you are really satisfied with that contractor. And dont rush to get things done...no harm going to more contractors for quotes to save you problems later on.

ok since u dont like just the color itself why not just change laminated only. Unless u totally dont like the layout. Then no choice.

For hacking of tiles is a killer due to not cheap. This one will have to bear with it. But remember after hacking and make new tiles please ensure that there are no hollow tiles. No matter how good a tiler is there are bound to be 1 or 2 hollow tiles. :)

Hacking pricing - depends due to the surface area.

New tiles - depends on what quality and big the tiles you want.

Storage heater depends on the volume you are going to purchase. I cant say that water wont be hot after filling up half way. Remeber to switch on storage heater 10mins before taking a shower then there will not be a so called water wont be hot after filling up half way.

It will look odd unless it really suit into your house theme.

Sorry dont get what you mean.

Please go ahead on this. Save cost too.

Thank You sooo much in advance! :yamseng:

Wood

l hope this will help ... l dont really know how to and hopefully u can see what l mean by wood in the centre in between the wall

Ok ... Thanks to all ur advice on this, l will take this into consideration but there is still alots on my mind though. And hope that anyone can help me out on the wood aswell

Thank You!!!