Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
xinyi_reiko

Kitchen Revamp

My parents planning to revamp their more than 10-yr old kitchen in May. They have their own contractor's contact so no major issue on that...

Now we have issues on how plan the kitchen layout. My parent's kitchen is a little squarish. They have electrical appliances that are placed on the countertop, which I find it very messy, but I have no idea how to go about doing it to make the kitchen look neat.

We planning to redo the kitchen cabinet all the way up till the ceiling. But my parents don't wish to spend too much, hence not going to hack the tiles. I am thinking to over lay the tiles backing by using SS backing. Is it doable? And power points are all around the fridge area, I suggested to new power points on other parts of kitchen, but that will affect the tiles right??

the current kitchen layout is something like this..

kitchen.jpg

Pardon me of the messy kitchen

P1050062.jpg

P1050061.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You may want to try IKEA software.... where you can play around with the sizes of the cabinets. All you need is to key in the actual measurements of the kitchen.

A few tips:

- I see lots of items on the countertop....... it makes sense to store them away.

For example, sauces.... (most of our Chinese cooking got lots of these)........ do a small (like 30-40cm) pull out drawers near the cooking area. In this way, you can access it easily when you cook. Yet they are stored away neatly.

- Near the fridge and door area, why not do FULL height cabinets to house your oven, microwave..... small appliances so they are not on the counter top yet easily accessible. Neater that way.

I see your oven has become a storage for plates... etc....hee..hee... use that space below the stove for pots and pans plus some usually used plates....

- Hanging wall cabinets - extend them upwards...... can store more things.

Hope this helps! :) The way my wife designs the kitchen......... is she "observe' herself consiously for 1 week to see her work flow... what items are always used... what items are sometimes used..... what counter space needed to cut things/prep food.

Edited by Smallboy

You may want to try IKEA software.... where you can play around with the sizes of the cabinets. All you need is to key in the actual measurements of the kitchen.

A few tips:

- I see lots of items on the countertop....... it makes sense to store them away.

For example, sauces.... (most of our Chinese cooking got lots of these)........ do a small (like 30-40cm) pull out drawers near the cooking area. In this way, you can access it easily when you cook. Yet they are stored away neatly.

- Near the fridge and door area, why not do FULL height cabinets to house your oven, microwave..... small appliances so they are not on the counter top yet easily accessible. Neater that way.

I see your oven has become a storage for plates... etc....hee..hee... use that space below the stove for pots and pans plus some usually used plates....

- Hanging wall cabinets - extend them upwards...... can store more things.

Hope this helps! :) The way my wife designs the kitchen......... is she "observe' herself consiously for 1 week to see her work flow... what items are always used... what items are sometimes used..... what counter space needed to cut things/prep food.

okok i will try the ikea software. :)

haha you are observant! the inbuilt oven already spoilt, thats why we have a conventional red water oven.. so my mum used it to store things.. of course that thing will have to go.. basically all the shelving have to go..

i saw this pic while browsing for kitchen ideas..

kitchen1.jpg

I am thinking if is the grey shelf is suitable. Kind of like the idea. placing the shelf beside the fridge where the chest of drawers are... but if I place the shelve there.. there will be a small lobang (circled below). That part I dont know what to do with it. *headache*

P1050062_edit.jpg

Ya... the grey full height cabinet is what I will be doing..... I also understand that lobang issue....... but mine is a small one so I figure I will just put a appliance there.......... like a coffee maker.......... OR you can put open shelves there to put small items... not sure if you get what I mean.

hONESTLY Lobangking, without sounding mean.......... you didn't read Xinyi thread.......... she/he is not asking for a contractor............ she/he is asking for some kitchen ideas.........

Why are you so keen to sell your contractor here? :) :) :)

Ya... the grey full height cabinet is what I will be doing..... I also understand that lobang issue....... but mine is a small one so I figure I will just put a appliance there.......... like a coffee maker.......... OR you can put open shelves there to put small items... not sure if you get what I mean.

Smallboy, i was thinking if you get what I mean.. :P I got what you mean. :thumbs up:

Have just installed ikea software. I will arga draft out the layout.. hopefully is not too difficult to play around with the software. heh~

Thanks for your ideas. :D

I used ikea software to draft out the proposed kitchen layout.. of course the kitchen is not that big.

view1.jpg

view2.jpg

seems the gap is quite difficult to cover up.. or have shelvings..

Is that a wall/beam at that corner....... if not your countertop can extend to that part.

I can show you my pics, after this weekend, if the contractor can sketch out 3D drawings for my kitchen. :)

Will keep you posted!

Is that a wall/beam at that corner....... if not your countertop can extend to that part.

I can show you my pics, after this weekend, if the contractor can sketch out 3D drawings for my kitchen. :)

Will keep you posted!

yap there is beam at that corner.

thanks Smallboy for sharing.. :)

if want try my lobang.

heres another idea of a kitchen and toilet which this contractor did for me:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20227

pm me if you wan his contact, trust me he's reliable.

=============================================

hONESTLY Lobangking, without sounding mean.......... you didn't read Xinyi thread.......... she/he is not asking for a contractor............ she/he is asking for some kitchen ideas.........

Why are you so keen to sell your contractor here? :) :) :)

small boy, incase you didnt realise my reply was check it out again.

HERES ANOTHER IDEA OF A KITCHEN AND TOILET WHICH THIS CONTRACTOR DID FOR ME:

(you can read above the quote in case you're still wondering which reply to check it out)

hmm.. i think i'm supplying some ideas too? :) :) :)

opps

Edited by lObAnGkInG

HERES ANOTHER IDEA OF A KITCHEN for you guys to view:

victorkitchencabinet2.jpg

this is suppose to be the inital idea that me and my contractor discuss but after much discussion we decided to adopt a more simplified approach. so probably you might want to take this idea on.

Edited by lObAnGkInG