Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi,

Would you all choose a design layout that looks cool and pretty, but makes the space looks smaller?

Or

choose a design layout that is simple and makes the space looks bigger?

Comments.....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Guest melancholic

there's one more dimension... storage.

My previous home was spacious, zen like design (i.e. simple) but in the drive for space, we didn't have many storage areas and 'suffered' later with the arrival of the children.

if you need ample storage and don't want your house to look cluttered, it's best to go for the modern minimalist concept. Clean lines, storage tucked to the side, double function furniture (i.e. settee with storage below). True, it may make your place feel and look smaller, but with the possibility of things kept neatly and tucked out of sight, the house will not look cluttered and hence look reasonably spacious as opposed to a spacious design which eventually fills up with items that have no 'home' to be kept in.

Just my 2 cents worth

I second melancholic.

Saw many houses where there was plenty of space, but it was lost to clutter accumulating everywhere. Built-in cupboards and wardrobes work very well at keeping the clutter away, but they do eat away floor and wall space. I always thought that the smaller the space the more one needs a designer to work on it, coz in the long run built-in storage looks better and is more economical in terms of space than any other furniture/storage options that can be added later on.

Guest melancholic

lyuira, amen to your comments.

One thing I forgot to mention also... if your ID is worth his salt, he will be able to make your full height wardrobes or cabinet look just like a feature wall, with all the doors flushed when closed. If you have the $$$, that can be further enhanced by a Hettich door system where the u press the door, it pops out and you can slide it open. When closed, it is flushed with the rest. I say you need $$$ because just the system itself is about $1.2k (cost price)

I digress.. but my main point is that 'lost' wall space need not be lost if the cabinet looks like a feature wall.

Do take a look at the latest issues of Home & Decor, Square Rooms etc as they have seem to focus recently on how to maximise small spaces.

cheers!

Hi,

Would you all choose a design layout that looks cool and pretty, but makes the space looks smaller?

Or

Comments.....

I choose minimalist for the building.. and we have more space for our garden.. then..

Hi,

Or

Comments.....

3 "S" - Simple, Space and Storage.

I will to go for design if u think hdb size. Spacious here pretty means clutter free-less things for bigger space.

Design takes this into account and integrate functionality into it. If you are a artist, u might your space to look like a gallery, a photographer like studio, a collector as a showcase space, fashion designer as boutique style, a chef with an impressive gourmet kitchen, a international well traveled expat with space having a spa open space and the rich and famous doing it up like a hotel ... this does not mean designing a workspace but a space you always wanted and making it meaningful with your lifestyle

The sad thing i see are so many here just thought of "doing it up and make it spacious, place of relaxation so to speak".

Edited by 77suns

Hi,

Or

Comments.....

Hi...I would go with space anytime! But i believe you can have both - a cool & pretty look which is spacious! Check out this site - Cool Homes - there are some really nice interiors design layouts here!