Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Arul Yanakan

Cost For T5 Light Installation

Just wondering, what is the average cost that the IDs charge for installing T5 lights for the cove lighting?

I was inspecting the ligt holder and noticed that on each end, there is a socket. Hence, if you need to connect 6 light sets, all it takes is to connect the sockets in parallell. There is no additional wiring needed except for the one connecting to the main switch. This is my layman observation.

If that is the case, why do the IDs charge us $40 for each T5 that we install? Is this how it is practiced in the industry? I can understand it for downlights as they need to cut a hole in the false ceiling and run the wiring. But why is the same pricing model applied for T5?

Can anyone share their experience or am I taken for a ride?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Just wondering, what is the average cost that the IDs charge for installing T5 lights for the cove lighting?

I was inspecting the ligt holder and noticed that on each end, there is a socket. Hence, if you need to connect 6 light sets, all it takes is to connect the sockets in parallell. There is no additional wiring needed except for the one connecting to the main switch. This is my layman observation.

If that is the case, why do the IDs charge us $40 for each T5 that we install? Is this how it is practiced in the industry? I can understand it for downlights as they need to cut a hole in the false ceiling and run the wiring. But why is the same pricing model applied for T5?

Can anyone share their experience or am I taken for a ride?

The light shop that I patronized also warned me of such practise.

Normally, there is a charge for providing a lighting point (~$30-$40?) and also a charge for installing lightings (~$7-$10 per pc?).

Contractor who think you don't know will quote you (price of supplying a lighting point) x (no. of T5).

In fact, if you want to save $, ask them install a lighting point and then you connect T5 yourself.

yup...so if u have 2 cove area...its just 2 lighting points..regardless of how many T5 tube u have.

and if u wanna save cost somemore...just install the T5 tubes urself..its definitely DIY-able as compared to downlights.

yup...so if u have 2 cove area...its just 2 lighting points..regardless of how many T5 tube u have.

and if u wanna save cost somemore...just install the T5 tubes urself..its definitely DIY-able as compared to downlights.

Agree...just a lighting point for each cove will do. I have more than 20 T5 in my flat and could have saved at least $700. Its so simple to fix the subsequent lights.

Moderators, is there anything we can do to highlight this article so that future fellow forummers can read this and save some $$$.

Aiyo!!!! My hubby and me almost got cheated by our electrician from Ele*tr*c Po*nt/KS L*ghting!!!! We did cove lighting with 7 T5 tubes, WIW with 2 tubes and he wanted to charge us for 9 lighting points $270!!!!! We argued for 2hours! Luckily when we bought our light from Lightcraft, an uncle there told us to be careful coz many ppl will cheat on this aspect!!! BEWARE EVERYBODY!!!!!

Think I have been taken to the cleaners by my ID's electrician as well.

I have a total of 45 units of t5 lights for my entire house, and my ID is charging me 45x$38 + 45x $10 for all these... Total $2160 :curse:

The light shop from which I bought my t5 also warned me of this and was so amused when I shared with him how I was being charged...When the connection could have been easy peasy with much lower cost incurred.

For an area of 4 connecting units of t5 lights,

Option 1) the best case. I could have used phillips interconnecting clips (sold at $3 each) to connect up each t5 and just pay 1 light point ($38) + $10 installation charge for each of the t5 + $3x3 = $ 87. ..

Option 2) this looping method seems to be what my electrician is doing..

pay $38 for 1 light point but pay lower looping point cost (market rate of $18 per loop point) for the other 3 T5 lights, plus $10x4 for installation charge.

Total cost = $132

Instead I am being charged $38x4 + $10x4 = $192!

Having at least 14 such similar t5 areas in my whole house, it would have meant close to a $1k difference.

I will have to bring this up to my electrician and get his explanation.

Can anyone pls share their experience with regards to charges by their electrician on installing T5 lights?

Cheers,

Luxray

In the long run, it is better to use LEDs instead. Shud you need quotes for changing to LEDs, do PM me! =D

looks like i've been sent to the 'slaughter house' myself too.

Does anyone know if this is the usual cove lighting placement - i.e. where lighting points are layered/staggered??

Was expecting a more 'structured' layout with lighting points connected end-to-end.

Feedback?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11820255@N05/8086457753/