Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wtc

Tile For Kitchen Wall Is A Must?

Hi,

Is there any reason why kitchen wall is usually all tiles up? Don't think is the standard practice in other countries.

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Painted walls absorb the smell from fumes from asian cooking.

Also harder to clean painted walls compared to walls with smooth surface.

Can be tiled, laminate, solid surface or stainless steel backing, as long as easy to wipe and scrub.

i think can also use plastering/cement it

hw about wall paper or cover the walls with mirror or glass?

Edited by Mimi

Hm, I can understand the need to tile for the wall where the stove is, but the rest of the kitchen? Does oils really get that far?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm new here and have just recently started my house renovation. I will be hacking away the exisitng kitchen wall tiles for new ones and that my contractor told me that there is no need to lay tiles for the area where my kitchen cabinet is built. Is it ok?

In addition, my existing embedded water pipings have been damaged due to hacking of the wall tiles and that I need to pay for new pipings as my contractor claim the original embedded pipings were not done properly by HDB. Is this valid?

Any advice?

Thank you

Hi all,

I'm new here and have just recently started my house renovation. I will be hacking away the exisitng kitchen wall tiles for new ones and that my contractor told me that there is no need to lay tiles for the area where my kitchen cabinet is built. Is it ok?

In addition, my existing embedded water pipings have been damaged due to hacking of the wall tiles and that I need to pay for new pipings as my contractor claim the original embedded pipings were not done properly by HDB. Is this valid?

Any advice?

Thank you

01. As designs are subjective and personal, the choice lies with you, TDK. If budget is a constraint, you can actually not tiled the entire area. Places where you will have your kitchen cabinet can be left without tiles. However, it will pose a problem in future should you are re-designing a new layout of the cabinet.

Where tiles are not laid behind the cabinet, will actually save space dimension - though it can be negligible. Laying of tiles adds thickness to the wall.

02. I am not sure about the piping but I think your contractor is making the right claim.

Guest melancholic

For my new kitchen, I got my ID to cement screed over the existing tiles to save cost and I'm not going to put any other tiles on it.

I hacked a hole in the wall and will replace it with clear tempered glass. This is to brighten up the kitchen. so with so little wall space left, I felt no point tiling up. Just paint over will do.

photo0153b.th.jpg

Reno still ongoing. Can check out my t-blog for updates. The cabinets will be up hopefully by end of the week.

For me it's more of economical sense.

My kitchen is long and small. After putting in the kitchen cabinet, backsplash, fridge, washer, sliding doors for kitchen, there is really not much of wall exposed. The ID has quoted me $2,000+ for the kitchen wall tiles. Instead I go for chemical cement on existing wall which is less than $700.

Tip: most ID / contractor will still charge you for the wall tiles behind the kitchen cabinet although the part is normally not tiled. So do your sums carefully

its a matter of personal choice whether to fully or partially tile up yr kitchen wall. my present kitchen is not fully tiled. however in my reno, i've decided to fully tile all exposed wall. fortunately for me, i've asked my contractor to include all cost for reinstating plumbing & electricals affected by the reno but i'll need to provide the electrical switchgears.

Thank you all for sharing your comments, hmm, guess I will go without the tiles behind the cabinets as long it doesn't pose a problem. Will share some pictures when the kitchen is done up :)

haha...

I asked a same question in this section...

need more advise too

I was practicing architecture for once last time...It was known that Kitchen must be fully tiled as it is under building regulation. That is why you normally see old flats comply with what is required. Nowadays ID will propose using glass backing but whether does it fulfil the regulations, i am not so sure.

I was practicing architecture for once last time...It was known that Kitchen must be fully tiled as it is under building regulation. That is why you normally see old flats comply with what is required. Nowadays ID will propose using glass backing but whether does it fulfil the regulations, i am not so sure.

Is this an old regulation or is it still in place? During my search of IDs I visited many completed/near-to-completed flats, and many of them do not have wall tiles in their kitchen!

My experience in the last time is that most of the HDB flat kitchen area tile up to estimated abt 5ft 4" height only using 4" x 4" white tiles. Most of the owner will want to tile up to ceiling height. I dont think it is under building regulation, if yes, then HDB must have failed to comply in the past. lolz In the past, knocking down the kitchen wall to the living is a big no no, reason is that this wall will prevent fire from spreading rapidly. However, nowadays the rules seems to have relax.

My experience in the last time is that most of the HDB flat kitchen area tile up to estimated abt 5ft 4" height only using 4" x 4" white tiles. Most of the owner will want to tile up to ceiling height. I dont think it is under building regulation, if yes, then HDB must have failed to comply in the past. lolz In the past, knocking down the kitchen wall to the living is a big no no, reason is that this wall will prevent fire from spreading rapidly. However, nowadays the rules seems to have relax.

As technology advances, maybe they find ways to alter the materials or whatever but this tiling for kitchen question did really came out during my exams but as i am in the contractor line, i do have to agree that this regulation has not been really been in use for some time because nowadays all the house now stylo milo...tiles make it look very orh biang~

Reason for tiling is that tiles dont catch fire easily like painted walls if i am not wrong....

Hope to see more input, its really constructive for everyone to contribute what they know be it from the school or from the industry.