Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
skquek

When To Start Looking For Ids?

Hello,

I'm relatively new to the idea of when I should start looking for IDs for my resale flat. The keys to my resale flat would be delivered around end Sept to mid Oct. When is the right time to actually start looking for IDs for quotations? Is it advisable to start early (e.g. Jul), and then tell the IDs our requirements but inform them that the actual renovation date will be slightly later?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi SKQuek,

I started mine like 1 mth before the reno date. And only managed to scheme through 5 contractors for comparison. So I reckoned if you start early, you can learn more the tricks of the trade and also have more contractors to choose and compare. So there is no hard and fast rule in regards to when to start sourcing.

Hello,

I'm relatively new to the idea of when I should start looking for IDs for my resale flat. The keys to my resale flat would be delivered around end Sept to mid Oct. When is the right time to actually start looking for IDs for quotations? Is it advisable to start early (e.g. Jul), and then tell the IDs our requirements but inform them that the actual renovation date will be slightly later?

the moment u get hold of yr floor plan.

I start searching about 3 months before. My completion is end of the month. I started in March.

Gotten about 20 quotes and met up with at least 10 contractors/IDs. Some even a few times, because as you met more IDs, your design will then changes, and you will then go back to the potential good ones for re-quote to get a apple to apple comparison.

So, start early, get more quotes, do slowly, its a fun process.

Start late, rush, stress, tires you out.

Moving is a fun process! Take your time and enjoy! :P

My search started the day after I signed the option to purchase the flat (26 Feb 2009). Key collection was 2 Jun 2009. So that 3 months +.

During this time I got about 15 quotations and met 13 contractors/IDs. There are people who quote super high and people who quote super low. You don't want to go for the super high one and you want to know why some can go super low. You got to keep meeting them and asking quotations then you will have a feel how much your renovation will cost you.

And like Marvin said, your requirement and idea will change over time, as you got inspiration from some of the show flats that you see. So you may to keep going back to your shortlisted contractors/IDs over and over again.

Take it easy and try to enjoy the journey then you won't feel stressed out and tired.

It is always good to start way ahead before the resale completion date [where you will get your house keys] and when you have a targeted a move-in date.

Finalizing on the right ID [presumably you are going along this road] takes time. With the extra time before the actual works, you would be able to get detailed design/concept. Then, there will be the selection of materials - the right tiles, laminates, bathroom accessories etc. When you start early, there is always a better time to look and re-look into your decisions [be it designing/materials etc].

Importantly, with time on your side, it will spread out your energy and lesser stress.

On the ID side, they can also schedule for their contractors. This will, definitely, minimize rush works.

Congrats and have fun.

I was initially worried if I start too early to get quotations and the ID requests us to provide a targeted renovation date, we would not be able to provide a good estimation yet because we have a mutual agreement with the flat owner to grant them another 1 month extension. Also, the worry is that if the IDs know that we are only planning to start renovations 3 months later for example, they will not entertain us when we ask them for draft renovation layouts, etc.

I was initially worried if I start too early to get quotations and the ID requests us to provide a targeted renovation date, we would not be able to provide a good estimation yet because we have a mutual agreement with the flat owner to grant them another 1 month extension. Also, the worry is that if the IDs know that we are only planning to start renovations 3 months later for example, they will not entertain us when we ask them for draft renovation layouts, etc.

They should respond to you even if your starting date of reno is 3-4 mths down the road. For those who do not respond, just drop them.

They should respond to you even if your starting date of reno is 3-4 mths down the road. For those who do not respond, just drop them.

Agree with marvin, any id that dont respond should say by by to them.

3 to 6 mths should be resonable.

That's the acid test - a customer-oriented ID (or any good sales person for that matter) will follow through even though the actual renovation is months away.

In fact, those IDs that I shortlisted are those whom we contact in March and have been following up with us all these months. If somebody is not willing to do the follow up, don't give them the business!

hi guys,

i've a similar timeline question...

i'll likely get my keys (resale) by mid-late Oct 09.

but at that time, hubby is not in town.

and likely in nov i'll be flying off also. :)

so no one around to 'look after' the renov works.

both of us will be back in Jan 2010.

so what would be a good timeline?

start sourcing now? but renovate in jan 2010?

like very pre-mature. :P

but if i pay deposit now, can lock prices right?

also budget is tight, 20k for 3NG, 100% renov.

is this even realistic?

aiyoh, the more i type the more questions pop up!

hi guys,

i've a similar timeline question...

i'll likely get my keys (resale) by mid-late Oct 09.

but at that time, hubby is not in town.

and likely in nov i'll be flying off also. :)

so no one around to 'look after' the renov works.

both of us will be back in Jan 2010.

so what would be a good timeline?

start sourcing now? but renovate in jan 2010?

like very pre-mature. :P

but if i pay deposit now, can lock prices right?

also budget is tight, 20k for 3NG, 100% renov.

is this even realistic?

aiyoh, the more i type the more questions pop up!

Are you in a hurry to move in to your new place?

Chinese New Year falls on 14 Feb 2010 so you will have to work backwards. Before CNY it is a peak period because many people wants to move in their new house before CNY. Moreoever, many Malaysian workers (tilers especially) will want to go home for a long break.

If you can wait, you might want to avoid the peak period (worry people rushing so don't do a good job for you) and start your reno in Feb. In this way you can start seriously looking for an ID / contractor when you and your husband are both back in Jan 2010.

If not, look for an ID / contractor who is reliable and can do the job without you around (personally I have found a few of them). You can just leave the reno to them and pop by occasionally when you or your husband is back in Singapore.

But in any case, you should start looking around now and not wait till end of the year. Like what I posted earlier, you want to work with somebody who can stay with you for the long run and not those who are only interested in fast money. So if somebody is not interested in your business because it is so far away, move on and look for someone else. There are enough IDs / contractors in Singapore who will want your business.

I can't comment if 20K is sufficient to do up the entire 3NG. But I have come across many IDs / contractors who can work with you on your budget - for example, not enough money can reuse some of the existing stuff, or use cheaper material (for example, use wood or plastic instead of glass). I am sure if you look hard enough you will find somebody you are comfortable with who can do the job. Having said that, it is more important for you to start your search earlier so as to find THE ID / contractor that you need for your reno.