Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
HomeMaster

Is L-box And Light Cove A Waste Of Electricity?

hi lim

yes, in fact the lighting shop people tell me the good thing about cove lighting is:

1) The t8 is cheap n good

2) lighting does not directly shine onto u, --> less UV and less glaring

3) bright enuff to reach newspaper n stuff..

of course when u got guest or etc, must have downlights...u got ur reno ID already? u can come n see mine, i think the cove n etc coming up to install on saturday... wat r the things u doing? mine also alot of ID price can't meet... :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

For L-boxes and cove lightings, you actually get to control the amount of light you need.

You can switch on the lights at the places where you hang out, turning off those where no-one is occupying. Without those, you will be forced to constantly on the 2 or 3 fluorescent lights that light the whole living room

Normally, I dun use more than 40W of lighting at one time

hi lim

yes, in fact the lighting shop people tell me the good thing about cove lighting is:

1) The t8 is cheap n good

2) lighting does not directly shine onto u, --> less UV and less glaring

3) bright enuff to reach newspaper n stuff..

of course when u got guest or etc, must have downlights...u got ur reno ID already? u can come n see mine, i think the cove n etc coming up to install on saturday... wat r the things u doing? mine also alot of ID price can't meet... :)

thks Seashell!!!!

can upload some pics of ur Lighting ???

I getting Baroque to do my reno for my flat >>> best price and services among all the 9 ID firms i went...(listed in my signature but i forgot the dimension... will update later)

Edited by limck007

hi limck

i also approached baroque... i must say they are very prompt in giving quotation and layout plan... but end up never take from them due to pricing...

anyway i will take photos and upload it... actually considering to install LED instead of downlights.... ALOT of cost savings + no UV+ no heat!!

only thing is the price...

Hi, I did not plan to hv cove lighting during my reno & yes, it's becos of the dirt, dust & dead thingy.

But I really like it & after giving much thought - went ahead to install one under a sliding door pelmet.

Someone recommended using strip led. So I make a 2.7m for my pelmet.

The warm light effect creates a nice ambience & brighten up the area just right.

LED is a good alternative, especially for people who wants to DIY when their reno is completed ;)

Hi, I did not plan to hv cove lighting during my reno & yes, it's becos of the dirt, dust & dead thingy.

But I really like it & after giving much thought - went ahead to install one under a sliding door pelmet.

Someone recommended using strip led. So I make a 2.7m for my pelmet.

The warm light effect creates a nice ambience & brighten up the area just right.

LED is a good alternative, especially for people who wants to DIY when their reno is completed ;)

hmmm where to get the leds??? all the ID can supply LED in their lighting design?

no dun go to ID to supply LED..will b vvvv. expensive.. go to sim lim tower.. one MR16 3W cost about $25 only..

can advise how to DIY LED?? cus i thought must get it installed via electrician

no dun go to ID to supply LED..will b vvvv. expensive.. go to sim lim tower.. one MR16 3W cost about $25 only..

can advise how to DIY LED?? cus i thought must get it installed via electrician

same question here>> how do we install the LED ???cos if i want to replace Downlight with led, how do i run the lighting wires or where shld i plan the light points ??

Hi, I got my LED from Sim Lim Tower at level 3. Lotsa of variations to choose from.

Can ask ard & compare the price. But I went on Sunday & only one shop was open.

I purchased a strip of LED & a bulky 12V power adapter.

They do the wire connection & soldering on spot.

Can test to ensure everything ok before making payment.

Mine is a simple project, fast and easy to install.

Paste the strip on the pelmet & power on :P

There is also LED spotlight & downlight available.

Edited by chipee

same question here>> how do we install the LED ???cos if i want to replace Downlight with led, how do i run the lighting wires or where shld i plan the light points ??

do u have existing false ceiling/lbox already? cus if u have, then i dun really think u can switch to led?

i buy those MR16 LED -- so that if the led fails, i can change the bulb. i will take some pic n show u later...

I switch on my cove lights all the time coz i really love the ambience it creates and it is bright enough most of the time. :D

any pics show cove and L light ? I dun know what the diff?

I switch on my cove lights all the time coz i really love the ambience it creates and it is bright enough most of the time. :D

any pics show cove and L light ? I dun know what the diff?

... It depends. You must plan properly.

When I was doing my house... I really regret not doing cove/false ceiling...

My living is quite wide and big and currently I have 3 lights in my living. Each big light (there are two of them) takes 4 18-watt bulbs. And they are consolidated together. that's 8 bulbs if we turn on both at a time... That's excluding the last light. Even at such high watts, my living is still quite dim.

If you have cove and you spread out the lights, you can have a much brighter place with lesser electricity used. The key here is planning.

Although building the false ceiling/cove will add on to reno costs... but for me I calculated.. it'll be about a $200 difference... But if I did it, I'll probably save $20-$30 each month. As of now, with my hanging lights my bills are very high despite using energy saving... so can easily get back the difference in less than a year. :)

Hi, how big is your space? I currently have a 6m x 3m living+dining area and I'm considering not putting any cove lighting, but rather, to just use ceiling lights with about maybe 3 energy saving bulbs each. not sure if it will be sufficient lighting.