Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tantc

Fomica Cutting Tips

hi,

was sticking up my shoe cabinet...

wow, not easy, each time I cut and snap it, the edge is jagged..... have to use a small file and sand them off slowly, but is this the common approach ? because it takes too long....

I tried cutting formica with a pair of scissors, amazing, it worked. But I got into trouble when I tried to cut too long a piece, it starts to crack.

I was told that carpenter have a special device just for trimming the edges of formica..... what do us DIY people use ?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

In carpentry workshop, table saw is use for cutting full size - 4 ft x 8ft plywood and laminate.

There is special tool for cutting small stripe of lamainate like 20mm width for edging.

Router is use for trimming.

File is sometime use if they have the skill - u got to hold the file at certain degree to file the edges.

U only choice is to use NT cutter.

After cutting, sand the edges.

Application of adhesive glue is not easy and sticking the laminate to plywood without trap bubbles is not simple too.

U need a pc of laminate with 'teeth' to apply glue.

When u stick the glued laminate onto the plywood, place a pc of laminate in between.

In carpentry workshop, table saw is use for cutting full size - 4 ft x 8ft plywood and laminate.

There is special tool for cutting small stripe of lamainate like 20mm width for edging.

Router is use for trimming.

File is sometime use if they have the skill - u got to hold the file at certain degree to file the edges.

U only choice is to use NT cutter.

After cutting, sand the edges.

Application of adhesive glue is not easy and sticking the laminate to plywood without trap bubbles is not simple too.

U need a pc of laminate with 'teeth' to apply glue.

When u stick the glued laminate onto the plywood, place a pc of laminate in between.

hi,

basically, it's practise practise practise.... *agreed*..... applying glue without too much mess is an art....

table saw is kinda slow in cutting laminate..... I think I've got some way to go as far as formica is concerned.......