Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Zio

Kitchen Without Tiles

I am wondering if anyone of your kitchen is tile-less, meaning hack off tiles and just paint like normal plastered walls.

To be honest, I intend to cut cost to meet my budget for renovation, in fact it already exceed $1k already, but I dont wish to do half half, meaning if I were to keep within this budget, I will have to not hack the kitchen tiles.

Therefore I am wondering if can be tile-less, I can at least hack off kitchen tiles and just paint, can save the tiles $ and laying.

Will this method cost more work like I have to clean the wall more often ?

Pls advise....

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I am wondering if anyone of your kitchen is tile-less, meaning hack off tiles and just paint like normal plastered walls.

To be honest, I intend to cut cost to meet my budget for renovation, in fact it already exceed $1k already, but I dont wish to do half half, meaning if I were to keep within this budget, I will have to not hack the kitchen tiles.

Therefore I am wondering if can be tile-less, I can at least hack off kitchen tiles and just paint, can save the tiles $ and laying.

Pls advise....

I'm going to do that, and pinkpetter also did that but has a backsplash... most people add a backsplash which is cheaper... and you don't even have to hack off the tiles if you really want to save, just cement screed over them...

I'm going to do that, and pinkpetter also did that but has a backsplash... most people add a backsplash which is cheaper... and you don't even have to hack off the tiles if you really want to save, just cement screed over them...

sorry noob question. what exactly is a backsplash ?

Izzit something like a brick style cover for the cemented walls ? how will this save cost ?

you mention dont need to hack... meaning just plaster/cement it over ? then apply this backsplash ?

why didnt you put this backsplash thingy ?

sorry noob question. what exactly is a backsplash ?

Izzit something like a brick style cover for the cemented walls ? how will this save cost ?

you mention dont need to hack... meaning just plaster/cement it over ? then apply this backsplash ?

why didnt you put this backsplash thingy ?

backsplash is a piece of metal/glass so that grease will be on there and easy to clean

my id wants to charge me $50 per feet, wife not keen to waste extra money cuz of budget...

yes, just cement over tiles... i'm going for paint though since we don't cook much and will have a hood if serious cooking...

backsplash is a piece of metal/glass so that grease will be on there and easy to clean

my id wants to charge me $50 per feet, wife not keen to waste extra money cuz of budget...

yes, just cement over tiles... i'm going for paint though since we don't cook much and will have a hood if serious cooking...

My family only concern is if cement over it... wont it look rough and uneven ? and by finish it with paint, wont it be harder to clean IF we dont apply this backsplash ?

My family only concern is if cement over it... wont it look rough and uneven ? and by finish it with paint, wont it be harder to clean IF we dont apply this backsplash ?

if u hack and don't plaster, isn't it the same?! if it is really rough and uneven, then plaster it if the ID wants to purposely charge u for plastering...

i'm taking the nippon easywash, hopefully it helps, depends how much cooking u guys do bah...

backsplash definitely easier since it is wiping grease off a smooth surface..

if u hack and don't plaster, isn't it the same?! if it is really rough and uneven, then plaster it if the ID wants to purposely charge u for plastering...

i'm taking the nippon easywash, hopefully it helps, depends how much cooking u guys do bah...

backsplash definitely easier since it is wiping grease off a smooth surface..

Yup it I am taking this option of overlaying it with cement, def will plaster it.

so i see, is the simple method of using Easywash as a solution to this problem of oil stain, hmm ya hopefully it helps, my family cooks only on Sat and Sun, or sometimes only Sun. So I guess really can consider this eh ?

u mention backsplash ur ID charge you $50 per feet, hmm, is there any place where we can choose the design and find out a better price for such ? like example for lights go Balsteria Road, that kinda of thing... or can ask my contractor to get all the range and prices for me to choose ?

Yup it I am taking this option of overlaying it with cement, def will plaster it.

so i see, is the simple method of using Easywash as a solution to this problem of oil stain, hmm ya hopefully it helps, my family cooks only on Sat and Sun, or sometimes only Sun. So I guess really can consider this eh ?

u mention backsplash ur ID charge you $50 per feet, hmm, is there any place where we can choose the design and find out a better price for such ? like example for lights go Balsteria Road, that kinda of thing... or can ask my contractor to get all the range and prices for me to choose ?

actually backsplash i've not seen much design in t-blogs, just plain colored....so i'm not sure...

my wife and i might be going to diy a board to place near when cooking lor... can avoid some oil, also hood should help for heavy stuff

i dunno if the easywash works, just trying...

Edited by merryman

Pls advise....

Hi Zio,

I don't have wall tiles in my kitchen. After we install this and that we find that we have no reason to spend $2000+ just more a little wall. So we got our ID to apply chemical plaster on the [previous owner's] wall tiles and painted over it.

So far so good - just sharing my experience with you.

actually backsplash i've not seen much design in t-blogs, just plain colored....so i'm not sure...

my wife and i might be going to diy a board to place near when cooking lor... can avoid some oil, also hood should help for heavy stuff

i dunno if the easywash works, just trying...

icic

thx for the feedback anyway ;)

will try and ask around for more advise :D

meanwhile anyone can contribute to this de come in say say

kam sia :P

one more feedback for u....im also on painted kitchen walls (aft seeing my fren's and comparing w my mum's - traditional square white tiles)...went for painted for my own place and no regrets...jus go for it....if u do heavy cooking, jus rem to clean it every week and one more adv: u have hundreds of colours to choose versus tiles :P

My Kitchen wall is also painted. Actually most of the wall surface will be covered by the kitchen cabinet, fridge, backsplash, washing machine etc... will be quite a waste of money to use tiling since it is extremely expensive to do so. Painting is easier, cheaper and it works well. Just choose the paint that is washable.

My Kitchen wall is also painted. Actually most of the wall surface will be covered by the kitchen cabinet, fridge, backsplash, washing machine etc... will be quite a waste of money to use tiling since it is extremely expensive to do so. Painting is easier, cheaper and it works well. Just choose the paint that is washable.

I have seen your T blog, nice...

yup will discuss with my contractor

Hi Zio,

. So we got our ID to apply chemical plaster on the [previous owner's] wall tiles and painted over it.

May I know what is this chemical plastering???