Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Zio

Kitchen Without Tiles

Hi Zio,

I don't have wall tiles in my kitchen. After we install this and that we find that we have no reason to spend $2000+ just more a little wall. So we got our ID to apply chemical plaster on the [previous owner's] wall tiles and painted over it.

So far so good - just sharing my experience with you.

Any idea how much will it cost for the chemical plastering?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I am wondering if anyone of your kitchen is tile-less, meaning hack off tiles and just paint like normal plastered walls.

To be honest, I intend to cut cost to meet my budget for renovation, in fact it already exceed $1k already, but I dont wish to do half half, meaning if I were to keep within this budget, I will have to not hack the kitchen tiles.

Therefore I am wondering if can be tile-less, I can at least hack off kitchen tiles and just paint, can save the tiles $ and laying.

Will this method cost more work like I have to clean the wall more often ?

Pls advise....

In my previous place, we did not tile up our kitchen. The area that we cooked, we used aluminium backing in between the top and bottom cabinet. This saved us quite a fair bit. Stayed for eight years and we cook daily - kitchen was well maintained :)

Any idea how much will it cost for the chemical plastering?

i didn't hack all the wall tiles of the previous owner's kitchen, chose to plaster over it instead.. spent abt $1100 to plaster kitchen & living room.

i didn't hack all the wall tiles of the previous owner's kitchen, chose to plaster over it instead.. spent abt $1100 to plaster kitchen & living room.

hmm yes just plastering over would be cheaper than hacking, cement and plaster.

less profit margin for your contractor/id too :)

I'm also thinking of plastering and paint over my kitchen wall as certain part of the wall is tile-less when my contractor removed the old cabinets. My contractor told me maybe hard to find replacement tiles and even if so, the colour many not match the existing old tiles.

So long washable paint will do?

hmmm

today my contractor came to see and we told him about this tileless concept,

the only thing we worry about is that the tiles that is about to plaster over will popped out and will cause cracks to the plastered wall...

No worries just plaster over the tiles as long as the condition of the tiles are ok, such as no deep cracks lines and hollow tiles etc. For backing, u can ask yr contractor to do tiling on the hob area, if not go for glass panel, aluminium or stainless etc. As long as is cheap and nice. The purpose for tiles in the kitchen apart from aesthetic looks, is meant for easy to clean after heavy cooking. If you can confirm that yrs will be light cooking then just plaster over it.

hmmm

today my contractor came to see and we told him about this tileless concept,

the only thing we worry about is that the tiles that is about to plaster over will popped out and will cause cracks to the plastered wall...

your contractor wants more profits :)

your tiles will not pop out unless you soak it in water... wall tiles popping are unheard of.

anyway, if you want to diy, take a look here

your contractor wants more profits :)

your tiles will not pop out unless you soak it in water... wall tiles popping are unheard of.

anyway, if you want to diy, take a look here

The DIY guy gives the wrong information, you cant used a handheld grinder to remove the grounting.

i think it is true, i hv seen my tiler use a grinder to remove a piece of wall tile

He just grind on the grouting to isolate the cracked tile before removing it...

If now, what is your/the correct way of removing it?? :)

No worries just plaster over the tiles as long as the condition of the tiles are ok, such as no deep cracks lines and hollow tiles etc. For backing, u can ask yr contractor to do tiling on the hob area, if not go for glass panel, aluminium or stainless etc. As long as is cheap and nice. The purpose for tiles in the kitchen apart from aesthetic looks, is meant for easy to clean after heavy cooking. If you can confirm that yrs will be light cooking then just plaster over it.

The tiles around the area where the hob is already popped out... duno izzit due to years years of heating near the cooking stove.

He use a coin to knock knock the other tiles around the kitchen, seems ok, no hollow...

One more thing is his initial quote for plastering of whole house is $1400.

I find that since he wrote "Plastering of whole house" in his initial quote, then this additional kitchen plastering shld not add in anymore further cost

What do you guys think for the price of $1400 plastering of a 4 Room A Flat.

The DIY guy gives the wrong information, you cant used a handheld grinder to remove the grounting.

mm to remove grouting, look at this

One more thing is his initial quote for plastering of whole house is $1400.

I find that since he wrote "Plastering of whole house" in his initial quote, then this additional kitchen plastering shld not add in anymore further cost

What do you guys think for the price of $1400 plastering of a 4 Room A Flat.

I always think all these are too expensive... just diy :)

take a look at reliancenami

$18 per bag, buy 10 bag enough for 3rm flat. Only $180 :)

i think it is true, i hv seen my tiler use a grinder to remove a piece of wall tile

He just grind on the grouting to isolate the cracked tile before removing it...

If now, what is your/the correct way of removing it?? :)

Shld be a handheld cutter not a grinder.