Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ynove

Melandas Sofa Any Good?

I came across this brand Melandas when I was sofa hunting. Saw a sofa that I'm considering.

Does anyone know anything about Melandas, or have had experience buying sofa from them? They only give one year warranty, and say that they export internationally.

From other forum threads, it seems that Melandas can only be found in Courts last yr because it's concentrating on export markets i.e. Indonesia - is this true?

How is the quality of sofas, service and durability?

Pls share your experience or thoughts if you have any.

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I came across this brand Melandas when I was sofa hunting. Saw a sofa that I'm considering.

Does anyone know anything about Melandas, or have had experience buying sofa from them? They only give one year warranty, and say that they export internationally.

From other forum threads, it seems that Melandas can only be found in Courts last yr because it's concentrating on export markets i.e. Indonesia - is this true?

Thanks!

WAs at the Om warehouse sale today and they had melandas stuff for sale.

My impression is that Melandas is like Cellini in terms of quality.

They have pulled out of Singapore and is concentrating on Indoensian market I think.

Oh yes, I was there today too. That's where I saw their stuff.

Is Melandas reliable?

WAs at the Om warehouse sale today and they had melandas stuff for sale.

My impression is that Melandas is like Cellini in terms of quality.

They have pulled out of Singapore and is concentrating on Indoensian market I think.

Oh yes, I was there today too. That's where I saw their stuff.

Is Melandas reliable?

When they had a showroom in Paragon, I always felt that their stuff was definitely up to scratch. But pricey.

The prices for the stuff in the OM warehouse sale not too bad.

But do go have a look at Cellini. Very similar in my honest opinion.

Thing is, I'm looking for a fabric sofa. Cellini has quite a lot of leather ones.

Not sure if Melandas has a shopfront. A bit concerned about the warranty, if anything goes wrong - dunno who to chase!

When they had a showroom in Paragon, I always felt that their stuff was definitely up to scratch. But pricey.

The prices for the stuff in the OM warehouse sale not too bad.

But do go have a look at Cellini. Very similar in my honest opinion.

Thanks!

I have a leather 3 seater from Melandas bought around 5 years ago.. I would say qualtiy is very good...I love the pocketed springs they have in the sofa but unfortunately they dont manufacture them anymore.

Service is rather good but its more lower mid range pricing

Yeah, when i tried their sofa they use just high density foam, not pocketed springs. So the sofa you have is pretty durable. Is the frame/structure made of plywood, too? That's what the sales asst told me about the Melandas sofa i was trying out, that it's made of plywood.

I have a leather 3 seater from Melandas bought around 5 years ago.. I would say qualtiy is very good...I love the pocketed springs they have in the sofa but unfortunately they dont manufacture them anymore.

If I am not wrong, the oringinal Melandas went bust a couple of years back... One of the ex-salesman told me they sold off their building, which is now the current international furniture center at Sugei Kadut. They used to manufacture back then - when they have something like a dozen outlets back then.

The Melandas in Indonesia is merely a franchise who continued using the Melandas name, but import their goods from various supplier from China. But I am not sure who owns the current Melandas in Singapore, but I am sure they don't manufacture their stuff, cos they won't have a wide distribution channel to support an entire factory.

So, hmm, the quality will be different now?

I checked during their warehouse sale over the weekend. They said their fabrics and manufacturing's done in China. Frame of the sofas utilise plywood.

And only 1 year warranty.

So B2B, you're saying that it's only the Melandas name that's being used, but the products are different now?

If I am not wrong, the oringinal Melandas went bust a couple of years back... One of the ex-salesman told me they sold off their building, which is now the current international furniture center at Sugei Kadut. They used to manufacture back then - when they have something like a dozen outlets back then.

The Melandas in Indonesia is merely a franchise who continued using the Melandas name, but import their goods from various supplier from China. But I am not sure who owns the current Melandas in Singapore, but I am sure they don't manufacture their stuff, cos they won't have a wide distribution channel to support an entire factory.

Yeah, when i tried their sofa they use just high density foam, not pocketed springs. So the sofa you have is pretty durable. Is the frame/structure made of plywood, too? That's what the sales asst told me about the Melandas sofa i was trying out, that it's made of plywood.

mine is full leather with stainless steel legs...dunno about the frame/structure though...but daily abuse for 5 years and only wear and tear on the leather becos we dont care for it..haha..my wife is even considering reupholstering it becos its combines extreme comfort with the modern sleek look we love...quite hard to find for sane pricing.

hmm...actually when we bought the sofa....we were a bit worried as some friends in that industry told us the company may have some cashflow difficulties....so dunno if its still the same melandas we are talking about actually......

So, hmm, the quality will be different now?

I checked during their warehouse sale over the weekend. They said their fabrics and manufacturing's done in China. Frame of the sofas utilise plywood.

And only 1 year warranty.

So B2B, you're saying that it's only the Melandas name that's being used, but the products are different now?

To be honest, I was doing a case study on the singapore furniture industry for my uni project -when I was still studying. My finding was Melandas back then was even bigger then Cellini and Lorenzo in terms of sales. Unfortunately, they over geared at a time when the economy was facing a down turn. They liquidated everything including their manufacturing. So I am sure it would not be the same Melandas, as they should procure from China suppliers now.

I am still watching the furniture industry very closely, as I have recently vested in some equities of local furniture companies. By the way HTL and Lorenzo share prices have gone up quite abit last couple of weeks!! Although I quite weary when stocks start 'cheonging' so fast...

B2B, I've heard the same about Melandas from a furnitre industry insider. It's really too bad for Melandas, because they fronted new concepts and were established - they even had a boutique in Paragon, too. Yes, don't think it's the same manufacturing quality, too. But to be fair, so much of the sofas/furniture in Singapore is made in China. There are different grades, even if made in China. It's such a manufacturing hub.

Lorenzo and HTL are doing well in the stock market, huh. Hope you invested in them, then! :)

To be honest, I was doing a case study on the singapore furniture industry for my uni project -when I was still studying. My finding was Melandas back then was even bigger then Cellini and Lorenzo in terms of sales. Unfortunately, they over geared at a time when the economy was facing a down turn. They liquidated everything including their manufacturing. So I am sure it would not be the same Melandas, as they should procure from China suppliers now.

I am still watching the furniture industry very closely, as I have recently vested in some equities of local furniture companies. By the way HTL and Lorenzo share prices have gone up quite abit last couple of weeks!! Although I quite weary when stocks start 'cheonging' so fast...

B2B, I've heard the same about Melandas from a furnitre industry insider. It's really too bad for Melandas, because they fronted new concepts and were established - they even had a boutique in Paragon, too. Yes, don't think it's the same manufacturing quality, too. But to be fair, so much of the sofas/furniture in Singapore is made in China. There are different grades, even if made in China. It's such a manufacturing hub.

Lorenzo and HTL are doing well in the stock market, huh. Hope you invested in them, then! :)

I always believe in HTL, Lorenzo, Cellini, Scanteak etc.. providing the best value, because they manufacture direct - no middleman. That way, they don't mark up so much.. I understand most of the local retailers who buy from China mark up by at least 80-100%.. worse, if there is a defect, they can take ages to replace!!

I always believe in HTL, Lorenzo, Cellini, Scanteak etc.. providing the best value, because they manufacture direct - no middleman. That way, they don't mark up so much.. I understand most of the local retailers who buy from China mark up by at least 80-100%.. worse, if there is a defect, they can take ages to replace!!

All retailers will have to mark up 100% whether they have a factory or not to cover operating expenses such as warehousing delivery, rentals and salaries.

Having a factory is not necessary a good thing, a retailer without a factory can simply buy from a cheaper supplier when costs go up at a certain location.

Companies with factories will have to live with higher costs, for example Cellini has a factory in Malaysia, they cannot buy from China or Vietnam where costs are much lower.

In fact, fashion retailers mark up 200%-300%, that's how retail works.

My opinion is to buy what you can afford and not worry about getting the cheapest price because not matter what price you pay there will always be someone who can get a better price.

Sound advice, thanks!

All retailers will have to mark up 100% whether they have a factory or not to cover operating expenses such as warehousing delivery, rentals and salaries.

Having a factory is not necessary a good thing, a retailer without a factory can simply buy from a cheaper supplier when costs go up at a certain location.

Companies with factories will have to live with higher costs, for example Cellini has a factory in Malaysia, they cannot buy from China or Vietnam where costs are much lower.

In fact, fashion retailers mark up 200%-300%, that's how retail works.

My opinion is to buy what you can afford and not worry about getting the cheapest price because not matter what price you pay there will always be someone who can get a better price.