Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andante

Help! Renovation Items Not Given The Go-ahead!

I just got my new condo and is submitting a list of items for renovation approvals. To my horror the guy sitting in the mgmt office who apparently has the ability to give a 1 hr approval said that i cant close up the planter box! I did explain that i'm not pouring cement over it and the decking can be opened for cleaning/flushing etc. He still said no!!

And when i said "How can u expect me to live with a huge hole in my balcony!?" He claimed that it's developer's instruction and also to ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO PLANT!!!!!! :o:o

I heard somewhere before that planters spaces in condos are not meant for "living" space but is there such a proper government black and white ruling that states a planter box has to stay a depression? If so, how can there be so many condos that have a wooden deck without getting into troube?

One last thing, I'm intending to remove my master bedroom wardrobe from the developer. There's a false wall on the side of it and it will require hacking & making good. He said i need to hire a Professional Engineer for approval. According to my ID it's not necessary as it's definitely a false wall not part of the building structure.. and hiring will cost me an extra 350 for nothing! Any ideas if i can avoid paying this afterall?? :unsure:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

bro,

1 way is to 'act blur'. like in my case, i jus wanna change wc, my mgmt office also tell me to get PE approval! wtf! its just wc....

so if u ask me, mgmt office only goes by "by right". if u r confident, just go "by left" lor. hope this helps.

bro,

1 way is to 'act blur'. like in my case, i jus wanna change wc, my mgmt office also tell me to get PE approval! wtf! its just wc....

so if u ask me, mgmt office only goes by "by right". if u r confident, just go "by left" lor. hope this helps.

gd point! My ID managed to convince the mgmt guy a PE is not required by removin the switch to reveal a hollow wall. so silly..it's **** obvious it's empty just by knocking on it!! geez..

As for the planter, still a no-go..my ID suggested waitin for my neighbors to do it first.. after that it's almost impossible for them to get all 100+ units to remove their decking is it? ;p

by the way, me no bro.. me sis. :bleah:

I just got my new condo and is submitting a list of items for renovation approvals. To my horror the guy sitting in the mgmt office who apparently has the ability to give a 1 hr approval said that i cant close up the planter box! I did explain that i'm not pouring cement over it and the decking can be opened for cleaning/flushing etc. He still said no!!

And when i said "How can u expect me to live with a huge hole in my balcony!?" He claimed that it's developer's instruction and also to ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO PLANT!!!!!! :o:o

I heard somewhere before that planters spaces in condos are not meant for "living" space but is there such a proper government black and white ruling that states a planter box has to stay a depression? If so, how can there be so many condos that have a wooden deck without getting into troube?

One last thing, I'm intending to remove my master bedroom wardrobe from the developer. There's a false wall on the side of it and it will require hacking & making good. He said i need to hire a Professional Engineer for approval. According to my ID it's not necessary as it's definitely a false wall not part of the building structure.. and hiring will cost me an extra 350 for nothing! Any ideas if i can avoid paying this afterall?? :unsure:

tampines the premiere?

TOP not yet CSC cannot hack wall, regardless is real or fake wall.

Developer is not in a position to give the green light. It's the building control regulations.

U hack wall, neighbour downstairs crack, u are responsible to make good.

Apt is under warranty, hack wall, all warranty is void.

Since when pte apt need to submit for renovation APPROVAL. Normally is just a Permit to commence work.

If u submit anything that is inconsistent with approved plans, then sure 100% not allowed.

Getting a PE is not just to determine whether is real or fake wall. There is also something called "Method Statement".

Which will say if neighbour crack, then reno contractor is obligated to fix neighbour as well.

TOP not yet CSC cannot hack wall, regardless is real or fake wall.

Developer is not in a position to give the green light. It's the building control regulations.

U hack wall, neighbour downstairs crack, u are responsible to make good.

Apt is under warranty, hack wall, all warranty is void.

Since when pte apt need to submit for renovation APPROVAL. Normally is just a Permit to commence work.

If u submit anything that is inconsistent with approved plans, then sure 100% not allowed.

Getting a PE is not just to determine whether is real or fake wall. There is also something called "Method Statement".

Which will say if neighbour crack, then reno contractor is obligated to fix neighbour as well.

Wats CSC? I got the permit to commence work. Anyway, we already hacked so abit late.. :P

Besides, it's not really a wall per say.. it's a hollow gypsum(?) that covers the side of the wardrobe. Plus i've never heard of NO hacking else all warranty's void. Pretty sure another gf of mine hacked her walls in Riveredge when it TOP-ed to shift her guest room door entrance etc. As long as u're given the green light with PE approval for such "big" jobs, hacking shldnt be an issue?

Mine IMHO, & my ID's... is not as major as we are only removing the wardrobe in the master bedroom (See pic below)

P1020726-1.jpg

& i've circled the "walls" i'm hacking (using the guest room's wardrobe picture as example..) else it will be a "despression" in the wall after the wardrobe's removed...

hackin.jpg

Of coz if neighbour's walls crack we will have to make gd on my expense.. **x finger**..& i really doubt will happen la!!! :rolleyes:

tampines the premiere?

By the way, i spoke to the same ID as urs for my little reno job.. and man she was expensive!!

She quoted me 1900 for painting my puny 926sq ft space.. & she even told me i HAVE TO paint the whole house. Even when i said its a brand new place just handed over from developer?!?!?! My neighbours just put furniture, lights and curtains can live in already.. why would i have to paint??!?

Her quote for just a big feature wall 12ft (simple laminate), + console, bay window shelves (1.6m long) and hacking my wardrobe (replacing it with a 2m x 1m chest of drawers) was over 10k!!! & at best she discounted till 9.5k EXCLUDING all electrical works.. geez.. i hate to say this but i really had that nagging feeling of her charging me based on my condo location more than the actual price coz she kept saying "you can afford it." :curse:

Cant recall wat else was in her 2nd revised quote but i got a much better priced ID including electrical works (i shifted 2 scv points, 2 water heater switches, pulled dozens of double switches & shifted my downlights etc -costing all in ard 1.3k) which is over 1k lower.

Still, i'm looking forward to seeing ur fully furnished apartment pics to see if she did a good job! ;)

My condo management also did not allow me to paint planter box...but i went ahead hahaha

View progress of my reno here:

www.kohnlee.blogspot.com