Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blurqueen

Can Someone Tell Me How To Diy Plaster Wall?

Am thinking of DIY plaster wall... tried google, youtube and searching relevant topics in this forum, din find much info.

Is it possible to DIY Plaster wall...... staying with my parents in a super old flat, never renovated before..

want to do minimal renovation to the house, as plastering is quite ex, so thinking if can diy?

The flat is built way before i was born, and never renovated before, therefore some walls can obviously see the bricks.

Anyone tried to plaster on your own before? What are the ingredient and tools required (i only know cement, was thinking if putty can ant, but my bf say putty is only use to fill up small holes or cracks, if used over wide areas, it may crack over time)

I may need to plaster up to a few walls, other than cement wat is required?

If really very troublesome, then will do without, just paint new paint, as the walls are getting yellowish. Just feel that if wall not smooth, paint liao also not very nice......

Appreciate if anyone can provide me details on how to plaster, ingredients required, best if can tell me in great details (step-by-step) how to do it, or offer me links or videos which are helpful.

Thanks alot! :D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

pretty easy if u've seen pple doing it before. Basically u can just goto hardware store to buy plaster, comes in either powder or premixed in a bucket. And u need a metal scrapping tool, the job is akin to sculpting cream on a cake, or macdonald staff cleaning the glass walls. Get one with a bigger face plate since yours is a big wall.

since your wall can see the bricks, u'll need a thicker coat, I suggest u buy those bucket premixed, and have to do it a few coats. Let the first coat dry for like 1hr minimum, then apply the next coat, then repeat.

added: it's not cement, it's plaster. And u have to let the wall completely dry before painting...give it 2-3days minimum, a week if u have lots of time.

Edited by hihihi

I've done that some 19 years ago for my 1st 5-room. Not that easy, best spray water ontp wall, let dry a bit, then use scapper (best 5-6 inch width). for very deep uneven surface, make surface rough. After dry, use water-proof sand paper to make surface smooth. Prepare to dirty yourself.

http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/skim_co...techniques.html

U can't skim coat over painted surfaces. Need to remove all the paint first.

Is not that easy if u want to achieve really high standard.

The trick is to plaster, sandpaper, plaster sandpaper.

The hardest part is to get a wall that is not wavy! It may be smooth, but when looking from the side, can see waves.

Skim Coat is not cement, it's a grey powder that just add water, become a cream texture. Need a trowel if got large areas to cover. Too much water will result in crack lines during the drying process.

plaster not that easy to do yourself leh. need skill to do it well, or else u end up with uneven walls

Do you want to try using plasterboards? They are essentially big "boards" where you secure to the walls. After that you can paint them. But you may need to make cuts on the boards so that your electrical sockets/ plugs can be exposed.