Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fftw

The Pinnacle @ Duxton - S2

Why Did I Buy from Harvey Norman

Pissed, off I went to the escalators, but the Sharp Steam Oven stop me in my tracks. I wanted to purchase a Brandt Steam oven but it can't grill whereas this Sharp oven is a steam oven but it can grill too! The oven was switched on, so I fiddled with the nobs and buttons. Hmmm... not user friendly at all :(

Then I lay my eyes on the Panasonic Steam oven. Same features but its not turn on so I can fiddle around with the buttons to check if its user friendly. Someone ask if I needed help, yes I said and proceed to ask if she can help me plug in the oven. She said "NO!" and walked away...

Then I spotted a "jolly" man walking towards. I stop him and ask for his help. He said he is from the fridge department so not sure if he can help me. When he found out that I needed him to plug in the oven for me. He immediately "Sure" and promptly looked around and ask his collegue if they know of any plus he can use to plug the oven. I played with the buttons and nobs, ask questions, etc. Questions he can't answer, he refer to the instructional manual. Finally PRICE. I told him that I am interested to buy but price is crucial. He gave me a great price and I told him I will think about it and will come back with my hubby. He smile and said "No problem." The next time I went there, he saw me and was as friendly as ever. My hubby ask heaps of questions on Fridges, washing machines, etc. All the time this guy was super duper friendly never once stop smiling.

helo fftw!

care to share the price on the Panasonic Steam oven that u got? im also interested in the multi functions.. just like Sharp's one too leh.. :P

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi fftw,

sorry for the delay... there are many types at Daiso, some made in Japan and some made in China.

Below is the one of them:

DSC02285.jpg

Just need cut into small pc, damp a bit with water, and rub on the stains on yr white laminates. :)

Laminates from Lamitak

I will be using White Glossy Laminates for my Living/Dining & Kitchen. As for the the Bedrooms & Bathrooms, I will select a laminate to match the doors. The colour of the doors are similar to Dark Brown - Wenga.

The problem with white glossy laminates is that it tends to produce a wavy effect when you shine a direct light source on it. When I spoke to Dennis about it, he informed me that no matter how you do it, it will have a slight wavy effect. The important thing is that the laminate must be thick to reduce the effect.

Finally when the carpenter came to my place to discuss the design of all the capentry in our new home, I ask him about it the wavy effect of the white glossy cabinets. The carpenter says no matter how & what you do, there will be a wavy effect, so better not choose glossy. Then there was a discussion among the three of us about what Dennis said, Dennis experiences, the carpenter experiences, etc. After much discussion, both the carpenter & Dennis agreed that a thick laminate will reduce the chances that the cabinets will create a wavy effect. So Dennis ask the carpenter to use laminates that are 1.8mm in thickness instead of the usual 1mm in thickness. Carpenter ask about the cost and Dennis says the increase is minimum. So its settled! :) I am getting a thicker laminate :D

Btw, all laminates are the same. The difference is the thickness of the laminate. Majority of the laminates in the market is 1mm. The samples in the book are also 1mm. 1mm is more than sufficient for majority of the laminates except when it comes to glossy laminates. Most of the time, contractors will not advise you on such things as it means more cost for them. However, if you hired a decent contractor cum ID like I did, he will "fight" for you and ask the capenter to give 1.8mm glossy with no change in prices.

Really no extra cost for changing to 1.8 mm laminates? My ID has warned me of the same problem for glossy laminates and when I told him some people say using 2mm laminates will help, he replied that 2mm laminates are very expensive. I accepted that because 2mm is double of 1mm and logically the cost should be significantly higher. But now Dennis is willing to give you w/o extra charge, so good. I have quoted your case in an email to my ID last night and I mentioned Zara Interiors also. Hopefully my ID will be able to give me a similar upgrade :).

Hi fftw, thx for all the usefull info! I am your neighbour in blk 1E too! Just started my reno and the 1st thing is too hack away the kitchen wall! Was happy with the decision as its so small and dark. Same as you, i really on a tight budget and trying to get all the reno done within 20k... request for abt 20 quotes and the ID i using now is one of the lowest and quite highly rave abt in this forum... cheaper than contractors... :D Glad that you manage to get such a good and honest ID too!

Congratulations on getting your new place & an awesome ID too! Here wishing you a smooth reno experience :)

Edited by fftw

I had a great experience with a sales guy from HN Suntec....over a span of 4 weeks, I ended buying a fridge, hob, hood, oven from him. I went back to him because his service is good even though there is no guarantee I will buy anything or from him for that matter. He even helped me change the delivery dates, called suppliers of various brands to check on specific queries that i have that he cant answer. Too bad I dont hv anything else to buy from there for the time being....

I agree! I think HV salespeople are a pretty friendly lot. When I told others that I bought my items from HV, they all proclaim its expensive. Actually I also have the same thoughts till my hubby insist we go there to check it out since its so new my office. To my surprise, if you are a genuine buy their prices are truly competitive :) I also like the fact that the guy who served me never once ask me when I am going to but. Just when I wish my items delivered. When I told him in Feb, he sayd I still have time to look, look, see, see :)

I agree with this too. They need to earn a living. I am fine with it. But if they are going to chop carrot me, they will be in for a hard time man....

Hahaha! Agreed!

which HN branch u went? i went to the one in Millenia Walk and found their staff to be quite friendly and knowledgeable in their products. Will definitely buy my appliances from them if the price difference is not tat much.

any plans for your bay window?

I went to the HV at Millenia branch too!

No bay windows in my apartment. Only a balcony in the main bedroom. Hubby is planting so creepers & ferms I think. Not sure. The balcony is my place to paint and where I will put my easle.

i haven't tried it yet, but from what i heard and saw at the demo, it's the same :D

it costs $125 after discount.

Wow, its cheap! Have to keep my eyes peel...

Edited by fftw

Hi

I am from Pinnacle@Duxton too. Went to 5 IDs but none get back to me. As we try to work within 20K or below thus I guess the IDs are not keen to do our business.

Can Mummy_lynn and Fftw introduce your IDs/contractor to me? =)

Intending to hack down kitchen's wall to make more space as well..

Thanks in advance!

Edited by josvin

helo fftw!

care to share the price on the Panasonic Steam oven that u got? im also interested in the multi functions.. just like Sharp's one too leh.. :P

I PM you already.

Hi fftw,

sorry for the delay... there are many types at Daiso, some made in Japan and some made in China.

Below is the one of them:

DSC02285.jpg

Just need cut into small pc, damp a bit with water, and rub on the stains on yr white laminates. :)

Awesome! Thanks so much :)

Really no extra cost for changing to 1.8 mm laminates? My ID has warned me of the same problem for glossy laminates and when I told him some people say using 2mm laminates will help, he replied that 2mm laminates are very expensive. I accepted that because 2mm is double of 1mm and logically the cost should be significantly higher. But now Dennis is willing to give you w/o extra charge, so good. I have quoted your case in an email to my ID last night and I mentioned Zara Interiors also. Hopefully my ID will be able to give me a similar upgrade :).

Of course there will be extra cost to change from 1mm to 1.8mm. It depends on your contract cum ID. ID should be willing to give it to you free without extra cos they are already earning so much from you.

Initially, Dennis & I told the capenter no need to use 1.8 mm for all the cabinets, only those that have direct light source shining on it. Then the carpenter say most of the glossy cabinets will have direct light source shining on them so he will do for all cabinets. Extra cost he absord. Hubby & I felt bad because its his right to increase the price to us. So we decide to give him more business by doing more carpentry work in our home.

I think its give and take. He is willingly to give us better quality, eating into his profit, without much issue. We also must be nice and give him more work so he may earn $$. He also need to make a living. Its like "pay it forward". People nice to you, you must be nice to them and not take advantage of the situation.

When he is happy, he will take more effort to do my carpentry nicely and its a ease off my mind. Its a price I am willing to pay for ease of mind and ensuring all is smooth :)

Edited by fftw

Hi

I am from Pinnacle@Duxton too. Went to 5 IDs but none get back to me. As we try to work within 20K or below thus I guess the IDs are not keen to do our business.

Can Mummy_lynn and Fftw introduce your IDs/contractor to me? =)

Intending to hack down kitchen's wall to make more space as well..

Thanks in advance!

Hi josvin, after all my research, my conclusion is budget or no budget, you must get your $$ worth and not pay crazy $$ for bad materials or workmanship. Having said this, if you have a budget, you must also be realistic and not ask for high end materials or heaps of work done to your house, like hack here and there, carpentry everywhere, etc. Like what I say, cheap quotation, my mean not so good workmanship or materials and lotsa of headach. Expensive may also mean the same thing as all the $$ goes to the ID.

My suggestion to you is to do your research to find out the avg cost of the materials psf. Work out what you wish to do in terms of the size and do a rough estimation of whether what you wish to do is possible within $20K. If the answer is yes, awesome! My personal suggestion is to go to a contractor as they are cheaper. It will good if you can find a contractor who can also give you design ideas, like mine, even better :)

Edited by fftw

Take this opportunity to look for a good contractor or ID to do your place. As far as materials are concern, your contractor will be able to advise you on the type and the problems involved in each material.

For example, Dennis my contractor cum ID, advise me not to take a certain type of Cresto solid top as the "bling" effect it gives will be gone over a period of time with cleaning . But I like the "bling" effect the solid top gives so he advise me to use 3M Stainless steel cleaner for regular cleaning and Pledge once a fortnight to maintain the effect.

yep...nice things are always hard to maintain..oh, i've engaged a contractor, but cannot start work :(