Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Stunna

To Hack Or Not To Hack

Hi all. We just bought a new EA in Anchorvale. The kitchen is kinda small and so we thought of hacking the service yard to have a bigger kitchen. However we also think the service yard is useful to separate the laundry from the cooking. So we are torn on the issue. Any recommendations/opinions/sharing of experience on this pl? Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all. We just bought a new EA in Anchorvale. The kitchen is kinda small and so we thought of hacking the service yard to have a bigger kitchen. However we also think the service yard is useful to separate the laundry from the cooking. So we are torn on the issue. Any recommendations/opinions/sharing of experience on this pl? Thanks.

you can hack and still separate

just need to do a L shape for your wash basin

mine is not like that but just suggestion

SNC01041.jpg

you can hack and still separate

just need to do a L shape for your wash basin

mine is not like that but just suggestion

SNC01041.jpg

That's a good idea. But we are thinking that a full partition would be nice to keep the cleaning equipment / laundry hampers / hanging poles and all out of sight... so we're still undecided between having a bigger kitchen or a neater one...

Most EAs / EMs are designed with small kitchens. The laundry area is always separated by a door. For EAs, the laundry area is not the most ideal to manipulate the bamboo or aluminium poles for your clothes. You need sometime to get accustomed to the space before it becomes second nature. It is not adviseable to hack the wall. You need to consider the toilet position as well. Get used to the cooking in a small kitchen, have your makan in the dinning and doing your laundry in the laundry area.

Edited by asoon88

Most EAs / EMs are designed with small kitchens. The laundry area is always separated by a door. For EAs, the laundry area is not the most ideal to manipulate the bamboo or aluminium poles for your clothes. You need sometime to get accustomed to the space before it becomes second nature. It is not adviseable to hack the wall. You need to consider the toilet position as well. Get used to the cooking in a small kitchen, have your makan in the dinning and doing your laundry in the laundry area.

Toilet position is not an issue. Yea it will be good to have a laundry area. Guess we'll have to see what the ID we hire has to recommend.. Thanks.

I prefer to separate the laundry from cooking. Keep the fumes away from the clothing.

Are you able to expand into the living room instead? What's the size of your kitchen?

I prefer to separate the laundry from cooking. Keep the fumes away from the clothing.

Are you able to expand into the living room instead? What's the size of your kitchen?

I don't think we can expand into the living room. Another idea we are exploring is to reposition the common toilet door so that the toilet entrance is at the living rm. But that might not make a big diff. Here's the plan of just the kitchen and living rm. size about 11.6 sq m.

kitchenplan.jpg

my opinion is, go ahead to hack the walls. build tall wall cabinets to keep the poles and hide the washing machine and other cleaning equipments.

i've been living without a service yard for 8 years... so far okay la. just that when i'm cooking, the clothes hanging inside the kitchen will be moved to hang outside lor...

I see that your kitchen is very small for an EA. Yes, maybe it is better to hack away the wall. I thought it was like the EAs below :

picture2gz.th.gif

Yeah perhaps we might have to hack the wall and build some wall cabinets to store cleaning stuff. Wify might still want to keep the service yard though cos she hates to see clothes hanging in the kitchen.. hm.. maybe should invest in a gd dryer..

I don't think we can expand into the living room. Another idea we are exploring is to reposition the common toilet door so that the toilet entrance is at the living rm. But that might not make a big diff. Here's the plan of just the kitchen and living rm. size about 11.6 sq m.

Repositioning the common toilet door is a great idea! It gives you more floor and wall space. At 11.6 m2, it's still quite a bit of space, unless you are putting an island in it. Look at IKEA for planning ideas for small kitchens.

Yeah perhaps we might have to hack the wall and build some wall cabinets to store cleaning stuff. Wify might still want to keep the service yard though cos she hates to see clothes hanging in the kitchen.. hm.. maybe should invest in a gd dryer..

yeah.. do that ba. can just dry and keep. don't need to hang them up.