Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Zelly

Apacadl On Shoe String

I have been collecting data and information and ideas from Renotalk various forums for some time already. I have decided to have a central point of getting feedbacks and contacts via renotalk t-blogs. Any helps, inputs and feedbacks are greatly appreciated! :P

I am getting my keys for my 4A size house soon and am now formulating my reno design and plans. We are not that keen in getting an id, but rather getting various sub contractors to do the jobs. We are still weighing the pros and cons and having a big headache meanwhile.

So far, our big big plans are

Overall

1) painting the place over with easy clean paints (still thinking of the color theme for each room)

2) Downlightings for dining, living, and 3 bed rooms. (yeah false ceilings too)

3) normal energy saving lighting for toliets, kitchen and store room.

4) granite top for bay windows.

5) various rewiring

6) curtains(black out and day curtains) for all bed rooms and living room

7) vanishing of the wooden flooring

Living

1) Storage tv console (I have the design i want but i do not know it is workable)

2) Tiling of Balcony (2m x 2.5m).

MBR

1) short cabinets at the bay window

2) wall paper 1 side of the wall, else it will be via decals.

Bedroom 2 and 3

undecided .

Edited by Zelly

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
welcome to RT and gd luck in your hunting... :D

it will be useful if you have a budget in mind.

My CFO is paying for the reno and he had gave me the budget of 20K for reno, furnishing, appliances. :(:bangwall:

My CFO is paying for the reno and he had gave me the budget of 20K for reno, furnishing, appliances. :(:bangwall:

Welcome :D

S$20K for reno can but exclude of furn & appliance

My small reno cost me S$19,200

- I did not do flooring (except MBR toilet we redo everything)

- No hacking of wall

- Very little carpentry (MBR wardrobe/tv wall "its a small carpentry"/custom made breakfast table/re-laminate 2 cabinate small area)

Edited by zerochristy

Welcome :D

S$20K for reno can but exclude of furn & appliance

My small reno cost me S$19,200

- I did not do flooring (except MBR toilet we redo everything)

- No hacking of wall

- Very little carpentry (MBR wardrobe/tv wall "its a small carpentry"/custom made breakfast table/re-laminate 2 cabinate small area)

That is y i am on a shoe string budget liao.. :( . Ai Pi Ai Chi Ai Dua Liup also.. :P

From the various forum, they had said that sub contractors will be cheaper than from 1 source though.

Currently we had checked with mondo marble for their granite and installation. It works out to be close to 70 psf run. This is based on black galaxy though. I wonder anyone had deal with them before?

We had seen from pagoda teak, a teak wood king size bed frame we love at $1250 i think and those kopi tiam 1.2m marble top table made of teak wood with our choice of 6 chairs for $1250 or $1300. Am so tempted to buy them though.

can la, $20k. as long as you don't hack, don't tile, don't do too much carpentary. your list looks pretty alright..have you spoken to any contractors yet?

20k for reno alone will be more comfortable. probably you may wish to negotiate another 10k from your cfo for your furnishings and appliances.

can la, $20k. as long as you don't hack, don't tile, don't do too much carpentary. your list looks pretty alright..have you spoken to any contractors yet?

We have asked afew contractors before, but none send us any quotation back. :unsure::furious: So we are back to square 1.

I have not approach the highly recommended ones here yet as they are very highly sought after. :P

The 2 carpentary works we are looking at is basically the tv console with storage and baywindow carbinets. I do not think it should be too expensive. No feature walls and such too, and my cfo and I do not like to be reminded that we are not shuai ge and mei nu, so no mirrors gonna be used in the living and dining areas too.

hmmm did the contractors visit your place or you just phone/email them?

carpentary is often times the most expensive items on a renovation quote. so do watch out for these..you don't intend to hack/tile your place right?

on a side note, i suggest you drop Ossify a PM. he might be able to help you but he's travelling now..

Edited by lilithfiend

That is y i am on a shoe string budget liao.. :( . Ai Pi Ai Chi Ai Dua Liup also.. :P

From the various forum, they had said that sub contractors will be cheaper than from 1 source though.

Currently we had checked with mondo marble for their granite and installation. It works out to be close to 70 psf run. This is based on black galaxy though. I wonder anyone had deal with them before?

We had seen from pagoda teak, a teak wood king size bed frame we love at $1250 i think and those kopi tiam 1.2m marble top table made of teak wood with our choice of 6 chairs for $1250 or $1300. Am so tempted to buy them though.

You still have to add the house fixture le... lightings/bathroom item le.. not counted le.

I did not buy all furn in 1 go lor... the important one like if you get tv than the sofa also must come in together. Your mattress, washing machine...

I made the bfast counter cause at least can eat there than go $$ than con't buying the coffee table than the dining table...

If I add and add think reno + fixture + furn is S$50K lor

20k for reno alone will be more comfortable. probably you may wish to negotiate another 10k from your cfo for your furnishings and appliances.

To get my My cfo to part with more $$ will be as hard as selling sweets to a diabetic. I think the most i can achieve is 10% inc from the orginal 20k. :bangwall:

hmmm did the contractors visit your place or you just phone/email them?

carpentary is often times the most expensive items on a renovation quote. so do watch out for these..you don't intend to hack/tile your place right?

on a side note, i suggest you drop Ossify a PM. he might be able to help you but he's travelling now..

Thanks! will drop him a PM on carpentary and such issues. I hope he will answer me though.

You still have to add the house fixture le... lightings/bathroom item le.. not counted le.

I did not buy all furn in 1 go lor... the important one like if you get tv than the sofa also must come in together. Your mattress, washing machine...

I made the bfast counter cause at least can eat there than go $$ than con't buying the coffee table than the dining table...

If I add and add think reno + fixture + furn is S$50K lor

Wow! That is way pass my shoe string, even if it is gold plated ones.

I am using back my old mattress, TV and audio system. Most of my kitchen wares are still usable. My place comes with most of the fixtures for toliet and kitchen except lightings. So that saves me bit of money.