Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leechingyuan

Aircon Advice Needed.. :(

Hi,

Need some advice from you guys.. The story is such:

Roughly 2 years ago, I got my aircon from Hong Tar. They did the installation and everything was ok.

Then earlier this year, the aircon was not cold so we call them down for servicing.

They reported that the condensor was all choked up and need a chemical wash. Total damage was $200+ for chemical wash and $180 for gas top up (reason being R410A gas is more expensive).

After one month plus, the aircon is not cold again. So we call them down to check and they reported that there could be gas leakage.

They top up the gas and ask us to monitor.

After another month or so, the aircon is not cold again. This time, they say they need to do a pressure test that would cost $380. This is not including any repair cost.

My questions are:

- Could the chemical wash have caused the leakage? If not, what could have caused a gas leakage?

- What other options do I have now? Do you have any trust worthy aircon company to recommend?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

Roughly 2 years ago, I got my aircon from Hong Tar. They did the installation and everything was ok.

Then earlier this year, the aircon was not cold so we call them down for servicing.

They reported that the condensor was all choked up and need a chemical wash. Total damage was $200+ for chemical wash and $180 for gas top up (reason being R410A gas is more expensive).

After one month plus, the aircon is not cold again. So we call them down to check and they reported that there could be gas leakage.

After another month or so, the aircon is not cold again. This time, they say they need to do a pressure test that would cost $380. This is not including any repair cost.

My questions are:

- Could the chemical wash have caused the leakage? If not, what could have caused a gas leakage?

- What other options do I have now? Do you have any trust worthy aircon company to recommend?

Few years back I had this same problem. Even after they top up the gas the same is happening after a few months.

So they did a pressure test for me FOC and found that is due to leakage in one of the joint.

The leakage was so minor which they are not able to detect by applying soap water on the joint to check for bubble -

installation problem. It is only using pressue test over 2 - 3 day then you can detect the leakage.

All is FOC. My aircon is from Toshiba.

Hope above helps.

Few years back I had this same problem. Even after they top up the gas the same is happening after a few months.

So they did a pressure test for me FOC and found that is due to leakage in one of the joint.

The leakage was so minor which they are not able to detect by applying soap water on the joint to check for bubble -

installation problem. It is only using pressue test over 2 - 3 day then you can detect the leakage.

Hope above helps.

Thanks for the reply! My installation warranty (1 year) is over.. so don't think they will be doing free pressure test for me.. :(

By the way, what is the company that installed the aircon for you? They sounds great!

Hi,

My questions are:

chemical wash should not have caused the leakage. its most probably a problem with the reinstallation of the blower after the chemical wash that causes the leakage (if any). my aircon was also installed by hong tar 7 years ago and till date. no problems other than the occasional gas top up

Thanks for the reply! My installation warranty (1 year) is over.. so don't think they will be doing free pressure test for me.. :(

By the way, what is the company that installed the aircon for you? They sounds great!

The point is if the problem is due to poor workmanship issue it does really matter

if it is under warrantry or not. We have to be reasonable to draw a line between

defect due to wear and tear OR due to poor installation in the first place.

In my case is due to poor installation.

No company will do a pressure test just because the customer feedback that the air con is

not cold enough. Just ask them to rectify the problem. If they can solve without doing the

pressue test is better still because it is quite troublesome.

Keep insisting on the fact which is after they top up the gas and done a chemical

wash the air con is hot cold. Pressure test is only done after all other possible cause

is eliminated.

Based on your feedback, I think the leak is at the location where they top up the

the gas - not tighten back properly.

The pressure test was offer by the Toshiba FOC after I feedback repeated over

6 months with them coming to check a few times to rule out the other issue first.

I forgot which vendor did I buy from. Few year back.

Toshiba aircon took over the everything after vendor installed my aircon.

Maintenance is by Toshiba.

Guess what, 2 - 3 year after installation, some parts in one of my air con start to rust

and corrode, Toshiba changed a new set for me no question ask.

BTW above is my good experience from Toshiba which is about 5 year back.

How offen do we need to top up the refrigent(gas) ? Is there a lifespan for it or the need to due to leakage.

My aircon is installed by hong tar 2 years ago and till now i have not done any servicing like gas top up or chemical wash...and i sleep with aircon on almost everyday.Set to 25 degree and still feel cool.

Hope above helps.

After 7 years of using Toshiba inverter, suddenly the aircon is no longer cold. I called up gain city to top up R410, damage was SGD80. After a few days, it is no longer cold. I called up the technician (from gain city). I was told that maybe there is some leak and not worth it to do pressure test and he suggested me to change my aircon.

Anyone can suggest what should I do ? Changing the aircon will cost me 3k (for system 3)

After 7 years of using Toshiba inverter, suddenly the aircon is no longer cold. I called up gain city to top up R410, damage was SGD80. After a few days, it is no longer cold. I called up the technician (from gain city). I was told that maybe there is some leak and not worth it to do pressure test and he suggested me to change my aircon.

Anyone can suggest what should I do ? Changing the aircon will cost me 3k (for system 3)

if you live in HDB i think u can consider to change a/c , daikin non int is 3ticks price is around $1800 to $2100.

if you live in condo then you must do a pressure test to find out the point of leak.

due to air con pipe is hidden in wall/ceiling

pressure test for your system 3 i believe is about $390.

The refrigerant should not leak unless it's a workmanship problem... if AC not cold is due to condenser choke, then you should be able to see how bad the condenser is... the condenser coils would be clogged with dirt and you should be able to wash it off yourself.. just spray with water... if it's a gas leakage, pressure test has to be done to find out how bad the leakage is and where it's leakage.. pressure test just requires N2, which is cheap, but time consuming... so they just charge with refrigerant, charge you for it... let it leak and then you call them again which they will charge you again for services...