Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ARCHer

ARCHer's Castle

Been a while since I last update this blog.

My baby girl is more than 9 months old already. As you can see in my Avatar, she is one cute baby. :dancingqueen:

Anyway, here are some stuff that I have added to my house recently.

New PC for me:

dsc00104mt3.jpgdsc00105hv1.jpgdsc00106av5.jpg

For the home network:

dsc00112xy9.jpgdsc00107fb5.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
spamming time!!

wah cool gadgets!! :D

:good:

how much u spend?

Don't asked how much I spent. Too much is all I can say.

Bought this for my wife:

dsc00113mg8.jpg

Also looking to upgrade this PC

dsc00117aj0.jpg

Don't asked how much I spent. Too much is all I can say.

Bought this for my wife:

dsc00113mg8.jpg

Also looking to upgrade this PC

dsc00117aj0.jpg

Sure that's not cheap. The NAS alone cost a bomb.

I just found out we bought the same model. ^^

so what is your size of the 2 HDDs..running RAID 1 now?

Sure that's not cheap. The NAS alone cost a bomb.

I just found out we bought the same model. ^^

so what is your size of the 2 HDDs..running RAID 1 now?

I think the Qnap cost me around $800, excluding the hard disks. Yes, I am running RAID 1 with 2 750 GB Seagate 7200.10 ES hard disks.

If you think the 2-bay NAS is something, well, look at this:

dsc00179jo2.jpg

Yes, that's a 5-bay NAS (Thecus N5200), which cost about $1,700 (excluding the hard disks). The thing is powered by a Celeron M processor (or so I was told). Gonna put in 5 1 TB hard disks in there.

I think the Qnap cost me around $800, excluding the hard disks. Yes, I am running RAID 1 with 2 750 GB Seagate 7200.10 ES hard disks.

If you think the 2-bay NAS is something, well, look at this:

dsc00179jo2.jpg

Yes, that's a 5-bay NAS (Thecus N5200), which cost about $1,700 (excluding the hard disks). The thing is powered by a Celeron M processor (or so I was told). Gonna put in 5 1 TB hard disks in there.

Wah....I got 2 500GB running Raid 1...that's all I need.

Your setup is way too expensive for me. Anyway impressive setup except that if you cable tied properly your cables...I think ...is a great Wow ...to all your friends. ^^

Edited by xjohns

Wah....I got 2 500GB running Raid 1...that's all I need.

Your setup is way too expensive for me. Anyway impressive setup except that if you cable tied properly your cables...I think ...is a great Wow ...to all your friends. ^^

Cable tying is never my forte. Here's how my PC looks like before I did some tidying up of the wires/cables:

dsc00171ok7.jpg

After some tidying,

dsc00174ue1.jpg

Anyway, I have too many gadgets and therefore too many cables. You can see from the pictures below:

dsc00180jq6.jpg

dsc00181zb8.jpg

Are you at soho? Seem like you are in the office than home...haa haa

Are you using wireless N now?

Edited by xjohns

Are you at soho? Seem like you are in the office than home...haa haa

Are you using wireless N now?

No. The home PC is used more for fun and leisure. My wife uses the PC for work (when she was working part-time), and I used it for games/surfing etc. I also use my PC for personal research work (not doing much of that lately). Also, we use it for editing photos, videos etc. The study room was one of the most important room for us, and when we were doing the renovation, we spent some time trying to design a set-up that allows both of us to work. Design-wise, we are quite pleased with ourselves, but the implementation by the ID/contractor leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, am using the Wireless N. Recently upgraded from a Linksys WRT54SRX to the Dlink DIR-655. But my PS3 in my living room downstairs still have problems with signals. The Canon printer in the picture is wireless G, and I have a wireless G camera (Linksys MVC200) in another room.

Cool, how's is it...is it really very fast? I am thinking upgrading to N network soon. Doing some homework for which router is the best.

Haa...you got PS3, I got mine too. What games you are having now?

so you are a hardcore gamer?

Your DLink-655 is very distinctive with those upgraded antennas :P

Got those +9 dB antennae from Media-Pro. It improved reception a bit for my PS3, but still having connection drop very frequently (so much so that I couldn't upgrade the firmware if I leave the PS3 downstairs). I'm thinking of setting up a wireless bridge.

Cool, how's is it...is it really very fast? I am thinking upgrading to N network soon. Doing some homework for which router is the best.

I think the Dlink DIR-655 is a very good router. A bit more costly though. Another widely recommended wireless is the Buffalo, which you can use either the default firmware or the a 3rd party one. I'm tempted to get one just to try out (and then recycle this and replace an old SMC wireless B router).

I bought the PS3 the day it was launched in Singapore (during the IT show... not the recent PC show but the one before that). I got a few games but haven't been playing much. Heck, I haven't even try Resistance, which came with the PS3 on Day 1. So far, I only playing the Marvel Alliance. Last Sunday, my nephew came over and just managed to get past the krackon stage (which I was stucked for a long while).

Got those +9 dB antennae from Media-Pro. It improved reception a bit for my PS3, but still having connection drop very frequently (so much so that I couldn't upgrade the firmware if I leave the PS3 downstairs). I'm thinking of setting up a wireless bridge.

Thats a good idea, since you probably have a spare router lying around anyway. But you may need to consider if it creates additional latency (which can cause you a game if you're playing 3D shooters online)

Edited by pencil

I got the 655 too (after asking ARCHer :P) and its great, but abit pricey.

If you're looking for a router that can handle many connections (e.g. Bit Torrent) and gaming at the same time, this is the one. You can look for more info on the hardwarezone forum on the performance of various routers.

Edited by pencil