Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
curryqueen

The Cave

not changing main door? is it very old those kind (i.e. like mine)? Yes, like yours. with the chicken-wire glass on top.

we also viewed our place once before putting pen to paper. apparently, most would view 2-3 times before deciding..lol.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
and you're also gonna replace it with a chicken wire fixed panel?

No lah.. it already came with chicken-wire glass. But a lot of old paint drops on the glass... need to get thinner to clean it up.

Tomorrow is day of second appointment! yay! :sport-smiley-018:

Edited by curryqueen

No lah.. it already came with chicken-wire glass. But a lot of old paint drops on the glass... need to get thinner to clean it up.

congratz, u must be feeling excited now.

wah so lucky, yours came with the chicken-wire glass! I had to negotiate w/my PM to absorb the cost of mine leh! :P

like sam said, you must be very excited! looking forward to see your transformation..

wah so lucky, yours came with the chicken-wire glass! I had to negotiate w/my PM to absorb the cost of mine leh! :P

like sam said, you must be very excited! looking forward to see your transformation..

Thanks, ladies! Looking foward to it too!

After waiting 2 hrs at HDB yesterday, I finally got my keys! :sport-smiley-004:

Owner cleared EVERYTHING out on the morning of second appointment , so I was quite happy.

But a number of unexpected expenses appear to be coming up:-

Main Gate

When the owner gave me the keys, he told me the old-retro HDB gate was not working and had not been working since he took over the flat. They usually just padlock the gate and leave the actual gate unlocked.

That means that I have to change the main gate and throw the old retro one away.. :(

Kitchen flr & wall tiles

Majority of them are hollow.. so everything must hack. That's extra $$

Toilet flr & Wall Tiles

Apparently, cannot do waterproofing over old tiles, must hack every **** tile and tile it back up again.

MBR and Kitchen Windows

Had wanted to keep them, but now need to get them changed as the rollers have worn off and the locks are rusty.

Shower Screen+door for MBR

Door is needed to prevent water from spilling to the dry area.

Others

Decided to do half height narrow shelving and full height shoe cabinet in the living room -$$$

Apparently for HDB flats, cannot have stainless steel drain covers coz now must have some netting thing below and stainless steel drain covers don't have that.

DIY table may also be a gone case coz apparently carpenter will charge more than Ikea to cut the size of the countertop.

All in all, it's going to be abt $20K or more excl grilles, aircon, electrical appliances, lights, laminate flooring.. :o

After waiting 2 hrs at HDB yesterday, I finally got my keys! :sport-smiley-004:

Owner cleared EVERYTHING out on the morning of second appointment , so I was quite happy.

But a number of unexpected expenses appear to be coming up:-

Main Gate

When the owner gave me the keys, he told me the old-retro HDB gate was not working and had not been working since he took over the flat. They usually just padlock the gate and leave the actual gate unlocked.

That means that I have to change the main gate and throw the old retro one away.. :(

Kitchen flr & wall tiles

Majority of them are hollow.. so everything must hack. That's extra $$

Toilet flr & Wall Tiles

Apparently, cannot do waterproofing over old tiles, must hack every **** tile and tile it back up again.

MBR and Kitchen Windows

Had wanted to keep them, but now need to get them changed as the rollers have worn off and the locks are rusty.

Shower Screen+door for MBR

Door is needed to prevent water from spilling to the dry area.

Others

Decided to do half height narrow shelving and full height shoe cabinet in the living room -$$$

Apparently for HDB flats, cannot have stainless steel drain covers coz now must have some netting thing below and stainless steel drain covers don't have that.

DIY table may also be a gone case coz apparently carpenter will charge more than Ikea to cut the size of the countertop.

All in all, it's going to be abt $20K or more excl grilles, aircon, electrical appliances, lights, laminate flooring.. :o

yes old flats often comes with such issues...lots of unexpected costs and have to spend $$ on it...

Customised table would surely cost more than ikea's off the shelves prices, i think ikea's annual sale is in early july. So u might wish to hold the plans since it wouldnt be so fast till carpentry stage?

any pics? :)

any pics? :)

Keep forgetting to bring my camera up with me,but here are some more that I took when I did an "open house" on Mon:

Common Toilet

CIMG0165DesktopResolution-1.jpg

Kitchen area next to storerm (where I'd place my fridge and WM)

CIMG0160DesktopResolution-1.jpg

Storerm

CIMG0159DesktopResolution-1.jpg

Living Rm (Frm Kitchen)

CIMG0158DesktopResolution-1.jpg

(frm Main Dr)

CIMG0157DesktopResolution-1.jpg

Hello curryqueen,

thanks for dropping-by.

Congrats on your key collection, happy to hear that the previous owners managed to clear their stuffs in due time :)

Yea, the reno-cost has always seem to be escalating, when suddenly you realse you need to add this and that, :(

Have you finalise your i/d or contractor?

All the best!

Edited by dexufto

woah, ok seems like an overhaul cannot be avoided. :)

big hole in pocket = big smile on face. haha..

u going to get a contractor to do everything or go ala-carte? i gonna try again to look for the pipe fittings. The pipes i saw at choo chiang are for electrical wires...look too skinny to use as base..

woah, ok seems like an overhaul cannot be avoided. :)

big hole in pocket = big smile on face. haha..

u going to get a contractor to do everything or go ala-carte? i gonna try again to look for the pipe fittings. The pipes i saw at choo chiang are for electrical wires...look too skinny to use as base..

Mainly getting contractor to do.. getting laminate flring thru Ossify's help, aircon & grilles myself. Windows I may get contractor to do, asking for more quotes.

Contractor's quote is lower than Alex's.

I had Ho Bee to do an on-site quotation and got a bit of a heart attack.. Didn't know hacking and all the general works so ex! It's almost $3K!

Am not going to tile toilet walls anymore, will live with the hollow tiles in the loo. My mum was saying that toilet tile seldom pop.

I am doing a 14ft wardrobe and a 11ft half height storage in the living rm nad 16.5 ft worth of bottom kitchen cabinet, so that kinda added up to the bill.

Edited by curryqueen

maybe u can share with us the costs which gave u a heart attack?

im sure renotalk guys would offer alternatives or cheaper lobangs. :)

u mean u gonna use the toilet wall and floor tiles...? not really advisible. Will be a major headache later if something goes wrong. Also during drilling in toilet accessories, tiles may break off? i duno...