Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Reno145

Do You Put A Rug Under Your Dining Table And Chairs?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Yes, it is a good idea, prevents the dining table from leaving marks on your floor, and you can 'catch' the food that falls off the table. my kids spill all kinds of food and instead of stepping on them and dirtying the whole house, I just remove the rug and wash it. It makes the whole house 'homier' as well! :D

does that mean u have a big rug...big enough for the table and chairs?

wouldn't it be easier to maintian without rug, if food spill onto the floor?, as u just need to wipe the tiles

not a good idea and i hv never seen such arrangement before...i gues the main concern shd b w food/drinks/soup spilling onto it and u can kiss the rug goodbye :P

not a good idea and i hv never seen such arrangement before...i gues the main concern shd b w food/drinks/soup spilling onto it and u can kiss the rug goodbye :P

the same can happen when there is a rug at coffee table and coffee spill onto the rug

the same can happen when there is a rug at coffee table and coffee spill onto the rug

-How "big" is the dinning table? Rug can be removed "easily"?

- My table is 1.8m length, 6 seater, full teak, 10mm thick glass on table. Weight almost 100kg!

- I never put rug, collect dust easily, absorb all sorts of liquids, once stained hard to clean, unless wash the whole rug! Why take the trouble. Want to be "cosy"?

- I never like "fabric" sofa - use palm hit the sofa, will see the "powder" flying around. Same for rug!

- Seen many Malay families like to put rug at hall, then also see the rug at "common corridor" for suntan! Why the trouble?

- So far, have seen only one chinese friend put rug (EM) at hall, dusty/dirty like s h i t. If not for the gathering, I would have walk away immediately!

- I have viewed (actually just stepped in only ) one resale flat (EM, bedok reservoir), with one big rug at hall, wow, I "stepped in & stepped out immediately" and told my wife, "forget it".

- I'm not discriminate any body, I just cannot stand ppl putting rug - I can imagine their "housekeeping" altitude. Instead of putting a portion, why don't put carpet the whole house & air-con it?

Edited by bepgof

Rugs really transform a room, making it much cosier and immediately upping the elegance factor of the place. The same goes for the dining room.

Of course it is important that you keep the rug reasonably clean so avoid having a rug beneath your dining table if you have kids, or are yourselves messy eaters.

well if u hv tis mentality then pls proceed :)

I bought mine at IKEA for $39. Use for 3 months liao, looks okay.

Will buy new one next CNY. Can change every year.

Cos my floor is marble, harder to maintain for floor spill.

Otherwise, better not place carpet/rug.

Rugs really transform a room, making it much cosier and immediately upping the elegance factor of the place. The same goes for the dining room.

Of course it is important that you keep the rug reasonably clean so avoid having a rug beneath your dining table if you have kids, or are yourselves messy eaters.

will it have dust & dust mites breeding in it??

will it have dust & dust mites breeding in it??

Probably, depending on how well you maintain the rug. But that won't stop me from having one in my living room, otherwise I might as well sleep on a wooden bed without sheets. ;)

Probably, depending on how well you maintain the rug. But that won't stop me from having one in my living room, otherwise I might as well sleep on a wooden bed without sheets. ;)

u put it under dining table or coffee table/sofa area?

u put it under dining table or coffee table/sofa area?
I had a large rug in the living room of my previous place (where the sofa seating area was) and I will certainly be having one for my new place. As for the dining table area, I didn't have one previously but I am considering having one at the new place.

I can't imagine a home without a single piece of rug. In my view, the place would feel so cold and 'under-furnished' :D But if one has pets, young children and is a stickler for cleanliness and is terrified of bugs, mites and any other possible asthma contagions, then it's probably best to have an 'under-furnished' place.

I had a large rug in the living room of my previous place (where the sofa seating area was) and I will certainly be having one for my new place. As for the dining table area, I didn't have one previously but I am considering having one at the new place.

I can't imagine a home without a single piece of rug. In my view, the place would feel so cold and 'under-furnished' :D But if one has pets, young children and is a stickler for cleanliness and is terrified of bugs, mites and any other possible asthma contagions, then it's probably best to have an 'under-furnished' place.

You sure can survive in Mongolian tent. Mongolians put rug to make uneven floor smooth, they roll up the rug and "GO". Nowonder the German can't understand why Singaporeans:

- Buy expensive house and let maid stay, himself seldom at home.

-Park expensive car at home and take bus to work, just to save parking fee.

-Put "cheap" rug to "protect" granite flooring ?

Edited by bepgof

Look nice on magazine and showroom. If your children are like my nephews and nieces, sometime eat one meal whole floor rice and water, then better not.

i won't... because no matter how careful we are, there's bound to have some morsels on the floor. so leh cheh to wash the rug but if don't wash, will attract all the bugs. at least on tiles better, easy to wipe.