Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wolverine23

Loft Unit - Building A 2nd Floor

Hello All,

I have been thinking of building a loft for my condo and did some research and enquiries of my own. This is what I have found out so far and will share it with those who are interested in knowing.

For private apartments with MCST,

1) Must get approval from MCST. You will need to get 90% approval from the committee of the MCST. This in itself is difficult if you have jealous neighbours.

2) Assuming you can get the approval, you now need to engage a PE to draw out and endorse on your attic/loft.

3) Now your PE must submit to help you get approval from URA. According to the URA Development Control Unit, if the maximum Gross Floor Area of this development has been fully utilised, it is unlikely that URA will approval. How to know what is the GFA for your condo? Check with your MCST. (BTW, the submission fee is $1500 and non refundable even if your application is rejected)

4) IF you can get the above done, your PE will submit the amended drawings to BCA for approval. BCA usually approves the submission as long as the pillar can support the additional load.

Therefore, it is really not easy to have it done. However you can always opt for a customised "built in DEEP cabinet". Still advisable to engage a PE to ensure that your cabinet can support & withstand the weight intended :P

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hello All,

I have been thinking of building a loft for my condo and did some research and enquiries of my own. This is what I have found out so far and will share it with those who are interested in knowing.

For private apartments with MCST,

1) Must get approval from MCST. You will need to get 90% approval from the committee of the MCST. This in itself is difficult if you have jealous neighbours.

2) Assuming you can get the approval, you now need to engage a PE to draw out and endorse on your attic/loft.

3) Now your PE must submit to help you get approval from URA. According to the URA Development Control Unit, if the maximum Gross Floor Area of this development has been fully utilised, it is unlikely that URA will approval. How to know what is the GFA for your condo? Check with your MCST. (BTW, the submission fee is $1500 and non refundable even if your application is rejected)

4) IF you can get the above done, your PE will submit the amended drawings to BCA for approval. BCA usually approves the submission as long as the pillar can support the additional load.

Therefore, it is really not easy to have it done. However you can always opt for a customised "built in DEEP cabinet". Still advisable to engage a PE to ensure that your cabinet can support & withstand the weight intended :P

I doubt any PE will be willing to endorse or certify any loft extension if they know you don't intend to submit. It's placing their license to practise at risk. My opinion only YMMV