Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
voon

50mm (height) Cement Base

Dear all,

we've seen a few contractors for quotes and a few apartments for ideas. we didn't plan for a 50mm raise cement base for kitchen cabinets, fridge and washing machine.

Kitchen cabinets: we want legs below leaving a gap from the floor to base of cabinets with a gap of 50-60mm. intend to raise the fridge with the trolley thingy. Just leave the washing machine free standing.

so, why a lots of HDB got this 50mm raised cement flooring. it must be for some reason.

Please advise. Thanks

Voon

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

old thinking, practical, preference.

if u ask me, I will still want the base. as I don't want things to roll in under, dust collecting under there. roaches have places to escape.

old thinking, practical, preference.

if u ask me, I will still want the base. as I don't want things to roll in under, dust collecting under there. roaches have places to escape.

Thanks hihihi,

i definitely won't put it under the fridge and wm.

now pondering on the kitchen cabinets.....

Thanks hihihi,

i definitely won't put it under the fridge and wm.

now pondering on the kitchen cabinets.....

I will keep only the cabinet base as I might wash floor and don't wish for water and soap to enter my cabinets.

I will keep only the cabinet base as I might wash floor and don't wish for water and soap to enter my cabinets.

But you can install 50mm legs under the kitchen cabinet woah, like that also similar wat??

But you can install 50mm legs under the kitchen cabinet woah, like that also similar wat??

Also can, but I would prefer not to have gap since gap only 5cm. A bit hard to remove water or spills underneath cupboard. Also good hiding place for xiao qiang and family. ;) Maybe if legs are 15 cm, I would consider. Easy to mop space below. But to me, put legs like not very nice. Then I would rather have suspended cabinets.

Kitchen floor also slightly sloping cos tiles are placed tilted so water will flow to drainage pipes. The cement base will help to level the cabinets, I think.

Dear all,

we've seen a few contractors for quotes and a few apartments for ideas. we didn't plan for a 50mm raise cement base for kitchen cabinets, fridge and washing machine.

Kitchen cabinets: we want legs below leaving a gap from the floor to base of cabinets with a gap of 50-60mm. intend to raise the fridge with the trolley thingy. Just leave the washing machine free standing.

so, why a lots of HDB got this 50mm raised cement flooring. it must be for some reason.

Please advise. Thanks

Voon

- Reason 1. Many years back, "kitchen" is really a "kitchen" for cooking, so flooring/wall tend to be dirty, oily, smelly. To "save" time, or to do flooring cleaning more effective is to pour water with detergent and just brush here & there.

- Reason 2. The "levelling" of kitchen flooring to the floor trap must be correct, water flows "automative" towards the FT.

- Reason 3. Older generation(like my late parents), especially Chinese, have this "pour in" & "pour out" concept. Kitchen is the place (no store rm) where all natural resources (food) are stored. Once cabinet doors are open, food "pour out" from high to low. This is pretty much the same as our main door step, always higher, symbolising house full of resources which can be "pour out" once main door is open. This is a belief, not a science.

Modern kitchens in HDB require no pouring of water for cleaning, therefore water flowing towards floor trap is not a concern. The "pour in" & "pour out" is a belief related to feng shui theory, is subject to ones' believe. Hope these clear your doubts.

- Anyway, my frig & w/m have no 50mm, but the cabinet yes.

Edited by bepgof

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read and explain. We have a better understanding now and have decided what we are going for.

Thanks again!!

Hi,

In case anyone is on this thread, we have just experienced the advantage of having a plinth cast for our fridge.

To cut a long story short, there was a kitchen flood caused by the washing machine pipe coming loose. The fridge was safe from the flood because of the plinth.

In case you want to see the cleaning up and how the plinth helped, read it here.

with regards, funnymatthew

Is it expensive to pay $500 for "To construct 50mm of cabinet base / fridge base / washing machine base"?

Any advice?

It depends on the size, will you be doing just this work or still have other tiling works ?

Is it expensive to pay $500 for "To construct 50mm of cabinet base / fridge base / washing machine base"?

Any advice?

Guess it depends largely on the amount of work you are asking the contractors to do. They might give discount if you do more work, else, they charge by a minimum sum. Coz i did my kitchen and bathroom with the same contractor, 6 months later, decided to do come carpentry in the bathroom, but end up, my contractor charged at a higher rate as he said that its just 1 toilet cabinet base and the cabinet. But i still got them to do as they did a nice job previously.