Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

u guys making me so excited... how I wish I am in the audition stage... but I guess its still early... Most prob reno will be ready in July.... Price may drop... :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
You seem like a very hands on kind of girl, in the most decent possible sense naturally.

To save all the hassle in choosing, go get the sonosub software, spec out the size, driver to install and amp and build one yourself :). Large cylinder subs at a fraction of the cost if you can source the parts and your EBay skills should help with that.

Some examples people have made can be found here (post #10 and #20 are good examples). Someone made one to order for a lady who wanted it to be disguised as a Roman floor to ceiling column :o.

I would love to do a project building my own sub but with little space and no idea of a good source of the components required it would be very difficult.

RB

Yeah I read about the different software and definitely will be using your suggestion of Sonosub - thanks for the linky :) Freeware ftw.

Is it necessary to build a "casement"? I'll take a look at it tonight, see what the owner has done and will dutifully report tonight. That thread you linked me to is hardcore - wow, amazing work. Very, very inspiring and I'm so glad I don't feel the need to "disguise" it like a roman pillar - it looks awesome as it is - standing at 39"!

-Ely

u guys making me so excited... how I wish I am in the audition stage... but I guess its still early... Most prob reno will be ready in July.... Price may drop... :)

All I can say, Drexter, is - BRING ANTIDOTE! ;)

-Ely

Avatar's Battle for Pandora scene, over and over and over, and over. >< For music, used one of their Jazz's vocals CDs, and my iPod with Sting, U2, System of a Down, A Tribe Called Quest and Tricky.

Will go down to KEC again and ask if they have the SPL or the Microvee. Not so approving of the SVS PC12 Ultra?

-Ely

Ooh, KEC has both, but the guy on the phone said the SPL is "better" than the Microvee, at $1299 and $1399 respectively. He also said it's pretty much overkill and that the CHT-10Q ($10xx) should be pretty awesome already. Will go down tomorrow keke.

-Ely

Ooh, KEC has both, but the guy on the phone said the SPL is "better" than the Microvee, at $1299 and $1399 respectively. He also said it's pretty much overkill and that the CHT-10Q ($10xx) should be pretty awesome already. Will go down tomorrow keke.

-Ely

...and now, the voice of reason........

How much have you spent on your package (speakers and amp) so far ?

Are you swapping out the Wharfedale sub for the new sub you are looking for ?

RB

-Ely

Go have a look at the SPL & Microvee. Their size & acoustic character may appeal to you. PC12 a bit too big in size, dont u think so?

Cheers

Go have a look at the SPL & Microvee. Their size & acoustic character may appeal to you. PC12 a bit too big in size, dont u think so?

Cheers

Hi

Quick question. How is the SPL compared tothe B&W ASW610 sub? Also the CHT-10q? I'm looking for a compact sub, around the $1k price bracket.

Thanks!

...and now, the voice of reason........

How much have you spent on your package (speakers and amp) so far ?

Are you swapping out the Wharfedale sub for the new sub you are looking for ?

RB

It's a little over 3k now.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 Floorstanding speakers

Wharfedale Diamond 10.CS Center speaker

Wharfedale Diamond 10.0 rear speakers

Velodyne CHT-8Q

Onkyo 608

Oppo 93

Should I get the secondhand SVS PC12, the price would be the same as the CHT-8Q, if not a little less.

Upgrading to the CHT-10Q (brand new) would be about another $250.

Upgrading to the SPL 800 would be a cool $400+, probably $100 extra for the Microvee.

So somewhat still within budget (>$3500), esp. with the 2nd hand PC12 Ultra.

Cheers

Yeah, it's quite monstrous. Husband was surprised I didn't shriek how ugly it would look in the living room. I mean, it's black~ /shrug

I always trust that I should surround myself with "beautiful" things and it would all come together by itself. If I love a sub, it would be gorgeous anywhere, timelessly. May even have to hide a smile every time I pass it because it makes my music such an immersive experience.

-Ely

Hi

Quick question. How is the SPL compared tothe B&W ASW610 sub? Also the CHT-10q? I'm looking for a compact sub, around the $1k price bracket.

Thanks!

The only decent B&W sub, IMHO, is the PV1. I'm using non-B&W subs for my B&W speakers.

Cheers

Velodyne CHT-8Q

Onkyo 608

Oppo 93

Should I get the secondhand SVS PC12, the price would be the same as the CHT-8Q, if not a little less.

Upgrading to the SPL 800 would be a cool $400+, probably $100 extra for the Microvee.

Yeah, it's quite monstrous. Husband was surprised I didn't shriek how ugly it would look in the living room. I mean, it's black~ /shrug

I always trust that I should surround myself with "beautiful" things and it would all come together by itself. If I love a sub, it would be gorgeous anywhere, timelessly. May even have to hide a smile every time I pass it because it makes my music such an immersive experience.

-Ely

You have a OPPO93. Im impressed. ;) You have good taste.

Subs should pack a punch yet small enough to tuck in anywhere unnoticed. Cant say the same for the Ultra. Btw, 608 dont have Multi EQ calibration. Just thought you should know.

Cheers

You have a OPPO93. Im impressed. ;) You have good taste.

Subs should pack a punch yet small enough to tuck in anywhere unnoticed. Cant say the same for the Ultra. Btw, 608 dont have Multi EQ calibration. Just thought you should know.

Cheers

*blush*

Well, I'm quite a geek. Never crossed my mind to have another brand of player. I got a good deal on it :)

Hmm, about the 608 - how would/much that Multi-EQ affect me?

-Ely

The only decent B&W sub, IMHO, is the PV1. I'm using non-B&W subs for my B&W speakers.

Cheers

Thank you.

Would like to seek advice on the following set-up:

Front L/R: Kef Q500

Centre: Q200c

Rear Surrounds: Q100 (wall mount)

AVR: Yamaha 667 or 1067

I have listened to MA RX6 (good bass, but 'hollow' sounding for musical instruments), B&W 684 (not bad, good bass, but I read somewhere that they need really good amps to play well). The Kefs are weaker in terms of bass, but has really full and nice sounding instruments and vocals. I'm not really into rock music that much so I guess it suits me better.

Would the 667 be sufficient to drive my Q500 properly? Or do I need to go for the 1067 (quite a big jump in price though, +$600)? Usage is 50% movies, 50% music.

Onkyo 608 has no pre-out so I think it will limit my choices should I want to add a stereo amp later for music. Alternatively, I can look at the Onkyo 708 but quite reluctant to go above $1k for my AVR at this moment.

Have not quite decided on the sub, as floorstanders means that I have very little space for one, may end up putting it behind my floorstanders :(

Thanks!

Velodyne CHT-8Q

Onkyo 608

Oppo 93

So with a 3k budget (taking out the Oppo), you are considering spending a third of it on a sub ? More than on the Amp or the rest of the speakers combined ?.

You may want to have a think to see if the money could be better reallocated elsewhere. Maybe it cannot for the sound you want but from this thread the other components seem now to be fixed but the money keeps going up and up for a sub.

Saying that, it is your money and your pleasure so ultimately you need to get what you are happiest with :P

{voice of reason off}

Just doing a quick pricing via Borderlinx delivery and you could get a Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer (350RMS/600W Max, 4 Ohm) for S$240 or a Peerless 830452 10" XLS Subwoofer (150RMS/300Max 8 ohm) for S$256 delivered from the US. Add to them a Bash 500W Digital Subwoofer Amplifier at S$347 and around S$60 for sundries (feet, grill etc) and you have all but the case for a sub at S$650. You can either make a case from MDF or plywood or go the sonosub route is you can find a high density card tube of the right size. Maybe source a carpenter to make one to your spec if the price is right and you should be able to get a great sub for a fraction of what it would cost to buy a commercial sub at the same level.

Of course this is just a very quick pairing and there are probably better combinations of amps and speakers there. This is purely to give an idea.

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Hmm, about the 608 - how would/much that Multi-EQ affect me?

-Ely

Ask KEC how would you calibrate your sub with the 608. I know the Velo has a calibration device but one shld allow receivers to synch & harmonize speakers & the sub.

cheers

Thank you.

Would like to seek advice on the following set-up:

Front L/R: Kef Q500

Centre: Q200c

Rear Surrounds: Q100 (wall mount)

AVR: Yamaha 667 or 1067

I have listened to MA RX6 (good bass, but 'hollow' sounding for musical instruments), B&W 684 (not bad, good bass, but I read somewhere that they need really good amps to play well). The Kefs are weaker in terms of bass, but has really full and nice sounding instruments and vocals. I'm not really into rock music that much so I guess it suits me better.

Would the 667 be sufficient to drive my Q500 properly? Or do I need to go for the 1067 (quite a big jump in price though, +$600)? Usage is 50% movies, 50% music.

Onkyo 608 has no pre-out so I think it will limit my choices should I want to add a stereo amp later for music. Alternatively, I can look at the Onkyo 708 but quite reluctant to go above $1k for my AVR at this moment.

Have not quite decided on the sub, as floorstanders means that I have very little space for one, may end up putting it behind my floorstanders :(

Thanks!

Nice set up. But have u audition them yet?

Why Yamaha?

OK You know the limitation of 608. The 708 is a different class altogether.

What sub you intend you pair with your KEF?

Cheers.