Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Stereo 9.1s or the AV package.

Remember that the Wharfedale 9.1 10.1 packages are entry levels and to an extent you get what you pay for. It also depends on what you are comparing against. I have a feeling my centre is now lacking and like you will not mention it to my wife just yet.

Welcome to the "Our wives are not amused" club :D

RB

Yes, it's entry level, have to start from somewhere. A noob like me shouldn't immediately jump to thousand dollars speaker set w/o knowing what I want ..

If you happen want to "relocate" your centre speaker, you can let me know.. if it's not expensive, I am considering ;)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Sorry, by bi-amping, I was actually referring to using the 'unused' channels of the Yammy 667 in a 5.1 set up (which would be the L/R surrounds) to feed the bass (LF) input terminals of the front L/R speakers. Essentially there will be 2 sets of cables running to each front speaker (1 each for the MF/tweeter and LF) in this arrangement. No intention to leave the linking plate at the back of the speakers connected. I read somewhere that the Yammy 667 has an in-built bi-amping function for this? Don't have one so I can't confirm.

Might have to take a look at this in the manual. If I understand you right you mean using the rear outputs as a second set of from outputs in stereo mode on the amp. Obviously in 5.1 mode it would be crazy :D

I think your arrangement of leaving the linking plates at the back of the speakers connected while driving from both AVR and stereo amp might be abit dangerous IMHO :unsure: , think I might have read somewhere that this is not really advisable - something along the lines of possibly killing your amplifiers. Fireworks, like you said...

Yep, confirmed with AVForums as well so don't try that at home kiddies.

One of the arrangements I read when using an additional stereo amp to perform bi-amping was to connect the Pre-Outs of the AVR to the Pre-In of the stereo amp (essentially using the stereo amp as a power amp), and connect the front L/R to the stereo amp. But this still uses the AVR as a pre-amp which is apparently less ideal.

Yep as the AV decoder is doing the decoding rather than the better stereo amp.

Most comments seem to indicate that a direct feed from CD source to stereo integrated amp to speakers set up is the best for music. This set-up is beginning to interest me (using an entry level stereo amp like you said). But this would require a home theatre bypass feature for the stereo amp, if the same front speakers are also needed for 5.1 HT use. This feature is apparently only available in higher end (expensive) stereo amps.

Or as was suggested to me, a speaker cable switch with two inputs (for eack amp) and one output to bi-wires cables.

What confuses me is this: Most stereo amps don't have a bi-amping feature, I think. Does that mean a non-bi-amped stereo amp is still superior to a bi-amped AVR for music? Not sure if I'm making sense...

Yes and how do they stack up against power amps with one for each channel (left/right) or even one for each driver so 4 amps in total....... :jawdrop:

Hows your head now :D.

Needs more research I think but for entry level I think the results are not going to be as big as we all might hope.

RB

Yes, it's entry level, have to start from somewhere. A noob like me shouldn't immediately jump to thousand dollars speaker set w/o knowing what I want ..

If you happen want to "relocate" your centre speaker, you can let me know.. if it's not expensive, I am considering ;)

Yes, sorry that was not meant to be negative in any way. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

My centre is only a Wharfedale WH-2 so probably below your 9.1 centre. It is fine in most respects but could be much better.

RB

Yes, sorry that was not meant to be negative in any way. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

My centre is only a Wharfedale WH-2 so probably below your 9.1 centre. It is fine in most respects but could be much better.

RB

No worries, I'm aware it's entry-level with the $$ I paid :)

I'm nto so much of movie lover, but having center speaker is important at least for movie watching.

Might have to take a look at this in the manual. If I understand you right you mean using the rear outputs as a second set of from outputs in stereo mode on the amp. Obviously in 5.1 mode it would be crazy :D

Or as was suggested to me, a speaker cable switch with two inputs (for eack amp) and one output to bi-wires cables.

Yes and how do they stack up against power amps with one for each channel (left/right) or even one for each driver so 4 amps in total....... :jawdrop:

Needs more research I think but for entry level I think the results are not going to be as big as we all might hope.

RB

Hi... dumb question: How do you multi-quote like you did here (split up the quote in order to reply to different sections)? :P

I'm at Adelphi now. Which shops other than KEC, should I visit?

E77 (4th level, next to KEC) has some B&W speakers. KEF dealer at lvl 1 if you're interested in KEF.

Yes. Also stated in this link: http://hometheater.about.com/od/avreceiversreviews/ig/Yamaha-RX-V667-HT-Receiver/Yamaha-RX-V667---Center-Row.htm

This is interesting... cable switch. Might be worth considering.

Punch Drunk  :D

RB

Yup... that is precisely my concern - is it worth doing all that? I think the prudent way is get a Yammy 667 to bi-amp to have a listen. If its good enough then don't need to add a stereo amp into the mix. Main concern is whether the 667 would be able to do sufficient justice to the speakers. Thinking of getting Q series floorstanders for front L/R.

Got a lady shopper here at KEC too, served by Jack! I wonder if she's one of the renotalk members here. :P

1. Only if you think your personal taste is not as important as the taste of others. Some prefer more detail, some prefer more base, some prefer a mix of both. You prefer the Denon for its musical ability over the others. That is a fair point although if you don't really listen to music now, how likely are you to be doing so in the future. Unless you have a big interest, it is more likely that you will spend more time with watching movies but only you are in a position to decide.

2. Again, no one else matters. Try and buy what you like. You money, your pleasure. Take advice offered but do your own research as well. If you are after more choices then post asking for a system around 1-1.5k in www.avforums.com (UK site, 1-1.5k should work out to around S$3k) or a recommendation from www.avsforum.com around the 2k mark (US forums).

3. Sorry, really cannot comment. Have not tried them.

hey RB, thanks for your comments.

I admit I do not know what I want. This is because I'm simply excited about my first home and feels like owning everything that's good (within a budget of course). Truth is I've never thought of wanting a HTS until I chanced upon this thread. And poison it is because after testing only a few systems, I'm yearning for better ones.

So now I am convinced I want a HTS and I am willing to set aside $3k for it (the hubby thinks I'm mad though). And I understand that my preference should take precedence over what is popular in forums. I think what I need to do is really to audition more and 'listen' to my ears (and maybe heart too).

Hi... dumb question: How do you multi-quote like you did here (split up the quote in order to reply to different sections)? :P

Ok, quoting multiple replies you can do by clicking the "QUOTE" button under eack of the posts you want to quote and then clicking the reply button on the last one. All the posts you marked by clicking the quote button will be quoted in your reply.

Splitting up the text in one post you wish to reply to I just cut and paste the "quote name=XXXXXXX" stuff in the square brackets (including the brackets) and the "slash quote" at the end to 'cut out' a section of text

Imagine B- = square bracket (cant put in the square brackets or it would hide what I am trying to show).

B-quote name='mars73' date='Mar 15 2011, 06:07 PM' post='618987'B-

test you are replying too

B-/quoteB-

Your reply

B-/quoteB-

Your reply

B-/quoteB-

Your reply

RB

No worries, I'm aware it's entry-level with the $$ I paid :)

I'm nto so much of movie lover, but having center speaker is important at least for movie watching.

Well now I am really confused. Did you get the 9.1 package with a centre speaker ?

Funnily enough I have just been recommended the Wharfedale 9.1CS as an upgrade :).

RB

Yup... that is precisely my concern - is it worth doing all that? I think the prudent way is get a Yammy 667 to bi-amp to have a listen. If its good enough then don't need to add a stereo amp into the mix. Main concern is whether the 667 would be able to do sufficient justice to the speakers. Thinking of getting Q series floorstanders for front L/R.

It can't heart to try.

Suggestions I have been given for switches are the following. I have not had a chance to look yet though.

RB

Well now I am really confused. Did you get the 9.1 package with a centre speaker ?

Funnily enough I have just been recommended the Wharfedale 9.1CS as an upgrade :).

RB

No, i bought 2nd hand speakers, just the speakers only. No centre speaker...

Starting to feel unsatisfied with my speaker :D

No, i bought 2nd hand speakers, just the speakers only. No centre speaker...

Starting to feel unsatisfied with my speaker :D

Really, don't be. The 9.1s got a great review for the budget and if anything, the 10.1s were not rated quite as highly.

Ok, so if I get a new centre then we will see about you buying the one I currently have. First refusal. How is that :-)

RB