Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Ok, quoting multiple replies you can do by clicking the "QUOTE" button under eack of the posts you want to quote and then clicking the reply button on the last one. All the posts you marked by clicking the quote button will be quoted in your reply.

Splitting up the text in one post you wish to reply to I just cut and paste the "quote name=XXXXXXX" stuff in the square brackets (including the brackets) and the "slash quote" at the end to 'cut out' a section of text

Imagine B- = square bracket (cant put in the square brackets or it would hide what I am trying to show).

B-quote name='mars73' date='Mar 15 2011, 06:07 PM' post='618987'B-

test you are replying too

B-/quoteB-

Your reply

B-/quoteB-

Your reply

B-/quoteB-

Your reply

Test

RB

Let me see if this works...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Ok, quoting multiple replies you can do by clicking the "QUOTE" button under eack of the posts you want to quote and then clicking the reply button on the last one. All the posts you marked by clicking the quote button will be quoted in your reply.

Splitting up the text in one post you wish to reply to I just cut and paste the "quote name=XXXXXXX" stuff in the square brackets (including the brackets) and the "slash quote" at the end to 'cut out' a section of text

Imagine B- = square bracket (cant put in the square brackets or it would hide what I am trying to show).

B-/quoteB-

Your reply

B-/quoteB-

Your reply

B-/quoteB-

Your reply

Testing again...

RB

Trying again...

Really, don't be. The 9.1s got a great review for the budget and if anything, the 10.1s were not rated quite as highly.

Ok, so if I get a new centre then we will see about you buying the one I currently have. First refusal. How is that :-)

RB

Haha .. Cool :thumbs up:

Hi Experts, I am a newbie to sound system. Just bought Denon AV receiver with JBL speakers.

Now looking for speaker cable. Went to Adelphi 2nd lvl, the guy selling Supra cable from Sweden. Is this ok to buy?

Also for HDMI cables, someone recommended me monstor cable. Is this ok to buy too?

Thanks in advance for all advise.

Hi Experts, I am a newbie to sound system. Just bought Denon AV receiver with JBL speakers.

Now looking for speaker cable. Went to Adelphi 2nd lvl, the guy selling Supra cable from Sweden. Is this ok to buy?

Also for HDMI cables, someone recommended me monstor cable. Is this ok to buy too?

Go to Sim Lim Tower

LHS Electronic Enterprise

Sim Lim Tower #02-27

Singapore 208787

prices are more reasonable ...

and don't bother with Monster cable. Any cheap HDMI cable will do.

Go to Sim Lim Tower

LHS Electronic Enterprise

Sim Lim Tower #02-27

Singapore 208787

prices are more reasonable ...

and don't bother with Monster cable. Any cheap HDMI cable will do.

Thanks bro, will go check it out.

Now, assuming you are not a troll (sorry but these are the sort of questions that can provoke strong opinions :) ) I would suggest the following....

Ask to try the S$2/mtr cable and then the cable they suggest. Make sure they are not modifying the amp settings when changing the cables and see what difference you can hear if any. You could also try Chord Company Carnival which is around S$6/mtr. Make your decision on which you like best and not on what someone tells you is better. If the S$2/mtr cable gives better results to you then get it. I have S$2/mtr fro my rears and S$1/mtr for the sides. I do use the Carnival for the fronts and centre though.

Now HDMI cables.......

Get one certified fast HDMI (with or without Ethernet) and pay as little as possible. Check the build quality as any certified high speed HDMI cable should produce the same results regardless of costs and if it does not then it is faulty. This is what the certification is for. Anything above the standard price you are paying for is build quality (if running inside light boxes or walls you may want better build) and shielding but in most situations a Amazon basics fast Ethernet cable will perform the same as a QED S$200 cable or it is faulty and should be replaced.

I have just done a set of tests between my QED 16mtr cable (S$360) and two cheaper cables, one with no branding at all and the resulting images were the same as far as I could make out. Images were captured with my D-SLR and compared side by side.

If you get faulty cables you are likely to see sparkles (white dots appearing) or breaking of picture / sound or nothing at all. In all but the most exceptional cases, a HDMI cable cannot affect image quality (sharpness or colour saturation) and if a cable does then it is faulty and should be exchanged.

HDMI.org give some useful background reading under the "Consumers", "installers" and "Resources" tabs on the sites home page.

RB

Now, assuming you are not a troll (sorry but these are the sort of questions that can provoke strong opinions :) ) I would suggest the following....

Ask to try the S$2/mtr cable and then the cable they suggest. Make sure they are not modifying the amp settings when changing the cables and see what difference you can hear if any. You could also try Chord Company Carnival which is around S$6/mtr. Make your decision on which you like best and not on what someone tells you is better. If the S$2/mtr cable gives better results to you then get it. I have S$2/mtr fro my rears and S$1/mtr for the sides. I do use the Carnival for the fronts and centre though.

Now HDMI cables.......

Get one certified fast HDMI (with or without Ethernet) and pay as little as possible. Check the build quality as any certified high speed HDMI cable should produce the same results regardless of costs and if it does not then it is faulty. This is what the certification is for. Anything above the standard price you are paying for is build quality (if running inside light boxes or walls you may want better build) and shielding but in most situations a Amazon basics fast Ethernet cable will perform the same as a QED S$200 cable or it is faulty and should be replaced.

I have just done a set of tests between my QED 16mtr cable (S$360) and two cheaper cables, one with no branding at all and the resulting images were the same as far as I could make out. Images were captured with my D-SLR and compared side by side.

If you get faulty cables you are likely to see sparkles (white dots appearing) or breaking of picture / sound or nothing at all. In all but the most exceptional cases, a HDMI cable cannot affect image quality (sharpness or colour saturation) and if a cable does then it is faulty and should be exchanged.

HDMI.org give some useful background reading under the "Consumers", "installers" and "Resources" tabs on the sites home page.

RB

Thanks Bro, am not troll lah but an idiot to these systems.

My new house is under reno so going to buy some new stuff, Your advise is greatly appreciated and I need to go do some homework liao.

Thanks Bro, am not troll lah but an idiot to these systems.

My new house is under reno so going to buy some new stuff, Your advise is greatly appreciated and I need to go do some homework liao.

No problem.

Asking the HDMI question especially could be considered as 'Incitement to cause violence' on some forums :D . I only suggested doing a comparative test of cables somewhere to see if there was nay difference in real life taking in to account the source and destination and not just the HDMI cable and the thread went to 159 very passionate posts of how it is not possible for there to be any differences apart from those I listed above (except in a from a very, very unlikely scenario in which case the cable would be faulty) :D.

The same sort of thing sometimes happens with talk about speaker cables and bi-wiring :).

The problem is that the results are generally very subjective to the individual and although there are some internet tests, there are no professional tests done by an approved body conclusively that there should be no difference. After all, if there was then Monster cable would loose most of its business overnight on HDMI cables at least.

RB

Okay, took a listen to the SVS SB12-NSD vs the Velodyne CHQ-8T and couldn't tell a difference! I was so expecting a life-changing $500+ experience but nope. Nada. Would rather get the Velodyne 12 (did I mention this HTS has a life of its own?) - the difference was more discernible to me, and the price difference by half - win/win.

BUT...

Now, I'm just throwing it up for discussion as there's a second-hand for sale I'll be viewing tomorrow. What are your thoughts on the SVS PC12-Ultra? ;) Such a beast! /swoon

PC12-NSD_MED.jpg

Can't find very much of it online but read about the tuning to 15-20 Hz for cleaner output. Would probably need more than an hour just calibrating it ><

-Ely

Okay, took a listen to the SVS SB12-NSD vs the Velodyne CHQ-8T and couldn't tell a difference! I was so expecting a life-changing $500+ experience but nope. Nada. Would rather get the Velodyne 12 (did I mention this HTS has a life of its own?) - the difference was more discernible to me, and the price difference by half - win/win.

BUT...

Now, I'm just throwing it up for discussion as there's a second-hand for sale I'll be viewing tomorrow. What are your thoughts on the SVS PC12-Ultra? ;) Such a beast! /swoon

PC12-NSD_MED.jpg

Can't find very much of it online but read about the tuning to 15-20 Hz for cleaner output. Would probably need more than an hour just calibrating it ><

-Ely

You seem like a very hands on kind of girl, in the most decent possible sense naturally.

To save all the hassle in choosing, go get the sonosub software, spec out the size, driver to install and amp and build one yourself :). Large cylinder subs at a fraction of the cost if you can source the parts and your EBay skills should help with that.

Some examples people have made can be found here (post #10 and #20 are good examples). Someone made one to order for a lady who wanted it to be disguised as a Roman floor to ceiling column :o.

I would love to do a project building my own sub but with little space and no idea of a good source of the components required it would be very difficult.

RB

BUT...

PC12-NSD_MED.jpg

-Ely

May i boldly suggest you ditch the CHQ8T & audition instead the SPL-800i or the Microvee? Cant remember the pricing but the sub impact will surely make you take notice.

What reference movie did you use for your audition?

Cheers

May i boldly suggest you ditch the CHQ8T & audition instead the SPL-800i or the Microvee? Cant remember the pricing but the sub impact will surely make you take notice.

What reference movie did you use for your audition?

Cheers

Avatar's Battle for Pandora scene, over and over and over, and over. >< For music, used one of their Jazz's vocals CDs, and my iPod with Sting, U2, System of a Down, A Tribe Called Quest and Tricky.

Will go down to KEC again and ask if they have the SPL or the Microvee. Not so approving of the SVS PC12 Ultra?

-Ely