Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
missyrisc

Our Shabby Chic Home In Toa Payoh

www.hocksiong.com.sg

they sell 2nd hand stuff from hotels & restaurants in Singapore, check out their page on facebook.

Some places that we've been to:

1) Hock Siong

www.hocksiong.com.sg

>>Pretty cool place with their furniture from Hotels. Minimum work needed, we bought our bathroom mirror from Hock Siong.(Sorry no pictures yet)

2) Yasashii Trading

Blk 123 Bukit Merah Lane 1 #01-114| Tel: 6271 3308. Name of person who served us: Alan

>> We bought our victorian cabinet from them.(Sorry no pictures yet)

3) Expat Auctions

www.expatauctions.com.sg

>> Previously loved items from expats.

4) Like that one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/likethatone/

>> They are expensive because they refurbish the old into something new. There is a fair bit of work involved in what they do, so naturally they are expensive. :)

We are still scouting for interesting items on ebay as well. We will be updating the vintage stores as we go...

Been to Hock Siong, bit too hotel type for us...

If you like quirky vintage/antique stuff, go to David's antique in Rangoon road... 3 floors packed full of stuff!! Would love to try out the auction but no time to go and view the items...

Please keep me posted if you find anything interesting!!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

"Shabby Chic"

It was not difficult to find a theme that we would like for our flat. For starters, we are not going to spend much on the renovation project. After all, we paid quite a big sum for an apartment in a district like Toa Payoh.After we had a good look at the existing apartment, we decided to adopt the look of “Shabby Chic” or as some Interior Designers have commented, it is “Modern Classic”. The existing classic fixtures presented great potential.

Our Floorplan:

28803_398364855966_523020966_4518780_720

Here are some inspiration looks of Shabby Chic interiors:

28803_398355465966_523020966_4518699_802

The Salon: Distressed Cabinets with comfortable winged chairs

28803_398355755966_523020966_4518701_220

Rooms like these need a lot of light, which we feel that our new apartment receives.

28803_398356120966_523020966_4518707_737

The Entry Area - We love to have an entry area, where shoes that we wear often will be stored.See the framed Sketches? Mrs K can have a great time showcasing her work. Hee.

28803_398356960966_523020966_4518713_403

The Study Room - Again, clever use of distressed furniture, typically white-washed.

<to be continued on next post>

...."Shabby Chic"

28803_398357175966_523020966_4518714_556

Heh, think less feminine. An ideal Mrs K kind of dainty craft heaven.

28803_398357440966_523020966_4518716_625

We would like a "reading area" with a character chair.

28803_398357575966_523020966_4518717_339

Bedrooms - We love the French Boudoir look. Though in this picture, this is estrogen overload. Heh.:P We would have a chandelier as well in our master bedroom... Though the colour scheme would be slightly different.

28803_398360520966_523020966_4518739_521

Chalkboard wall in the kitchen: There is just something about having a chalkboard in the kitchen, it evokes a feeling that meaningful conversations are going to happen in it. And yes, since Mrs K loves to paint and draw, this is her creative outlet. Little children guests would have a great time doodling on it too. :)

28803_398362215966_523020966_4518745_203

Fun times by the dining table. good for recording recipes as well.

Edited by missyrisc

We have been up to our necks trying to get our new apartment ready. Hacking has been done to the bathrooms; the dirty and yucky bathrooms are now reduced to a dusty mess of debris. Spent the last long weekend trying to get good toilet bowls and basins for our new bathrooms, we started with Balestier; ran through Geylang; passing countless Teochew porridge coffeeshops; and ended our quest back at Balestier’s “Viva Nueva”.

Mr and Mrs K should have trusted their instincts on “Jojo” the friendly saleslady.

We had wanted to get a “simple” toilet bowl, though after trying on several seats, we realized that it was not as easy as it seems. It felt funny to sit on it with our pants intact, haha.We felt it was important since this seat is going to be a good part of our “thought-evoking” moments in the house. :P

At Viva Nueva, we finally found a good “1 WC + 1 basin” deal at “$288”. Yay.

Mr and Mrs K are all about bathrooms.

After our honeymoon in Bali and the Maldives, we have been ridiculously pampered.

We wanted our bathrooms to be somewhat like the bathrooms from Morocco. We found only ONE tile design that could fit the bill. We thought that must have been brought into Singapore because we prayed about it, since our designer P**** from “Ideal House” commented that this design will not sell in the Singaporean market.

31153_395249445966_523020966_4436737_267

That said, please see our inspiration above…. Woohoo.

Let's also talk about the shower system. We love rain-showers. Yes, there is nothing like showering under a rain-shower after a full day’s work. At first, we did not know that there was a difference between “hansgrohe” and “GROHE”. Until of course, after careful scrutinizing and research by Mr K, we realized that we preferred “hansgrohe” for its quality. But, “hansgrohe” also came with a rather hefty price tag...

At an impeccable timing, we managed to stroll into hansgrohe’s showroom at the start of their GSS (aka the “Great Singapore Sale”) promotion. They offered us a 25% discount on all items. We nabbed a great deal, not only we can have rain-shower installed in the master bathroom, now we can have a hansgrohe massage hand-shower for the common bathroom.

{Mr and Mrs K are very blessed indeed } ^_^

More amazing favour and adventures of our renovation project awaits.We will update as we proceed. YAY.

come to realise that u went viva nueva and served by jojo. another forumner, pinkpetter bought stuff from there before and her experience was totally different from yours. have they delivered urs? maybe u should go read her posts... :unsure:

i do hope nothing goes wrong for u....

Edited by samgalz

come to realise that u went viva nueva and served by jojo. another forumner, pinkpetter bought stuff from there before and her experience was totally different from yours. have they delivered urs? maybe u should go read her posts... :unsure:

Hey there,

Yes they did deliver on time... And she served us well too...Where can I find pinkpetter's post? Thanks for your concern!

I think I read abt this JoJo saga 1 yrs back . ha ...

It's abt the hole in the sink stuff right . But after that , I very careful when buying sink . Keep telling poh Joo they need to drail a hole for me . They keep ensure me they will . lol

I think I read abt this JoJo saga 1 yrs back . ha ...

It's abt the hole in the sink stuff right . But after that , I very careful when buying sink . Keep telling poh Joo they need to drail a hole for me . They keep ensure me they will . lol

Oh yeah, I've just read it... Wow, the review looks bad. She must be very pissed with Jojo... Maybe Jojo wised up after her bad reviews, nevertheless, we will check the bathroom today .... seems like everything is fine, thank God. :)

Oh and thank you too.

your wife into crafts? or design? hehe.. just curious..

Mrs K is into both crafts and design. :)How about you? What about it?

nah, just curious... cos i ever commented that shabby chic reminds me of scrapbooking.

never seen a shabby chic inspired home before! i'm sure it will look great! can't wait to see the completed look!

Our Lavish Bathrooms - Drawings

Previously we showed a picture of our floorplans, here are what P**** from Ideal House proposed with our layout:

28803_398633705966_523020966_4525368_382

Proposal of design from Ideal House

The Common Bathroom

This was done shortly after we have chosen the tiles. We did not managed to get the aquamarine tiles we spotted in the magazine, but this is close enough to give us a Morrocan feel.

28803_398636370966_523020966_4525444_546

The Inspiration

28803_398633945966_523020966_4525373_759

Common Bathroom proposal from ID. The sink, mirror and WC are just proposals, we did not get something like so in the end. Eventually the rainshower was at the opposite side of the bathroom.We will be installing a hansgrohe hand shower here with massage abilities, due to lack of height.See actual site below...

28803_398634425966_523020966_4525377_542

The common bathroom with very "stylish" exposed piping. Hee.

The Master Bathroom

Master bathroom will be having a vanity top for all of Mrs K's toiletries.:P Mr K wanted big mirrors so that it will easy for him to shave so we have fully walled mirror with a vanity cabinet to store some bathroom necessities. We will be installing a rainshower here with themostatic mixer.

28803_398634040966_523020966_4525374_276

Master Bathroom proposal from ID. All drawings were done prior to site inspection, so the pipes were omitted.

What do you guys think?

have you chosen your tiles already? cos the tiles in the 3ds don't quite hit the spot, if u get what i mean. they look more baroque than moroccan.

Yes these tiles are a done deal now. We searched almost all the tile shops in Singapore and found this to be most appropraite. It looks more baroque here but the real ones are really not that baroque. There are so many damask and baroque tiles now it is unbelievable. We didn't like the TRUE Morrocan ones either cos we had wanted a slightly modern edge to it. Thanks for your comments though!

Hmm how about blue mosaic tiles for the shower area, white epoxy painted walls for the rest, and a faux wood tile floor? That should hit closer to the inspiration that you loved.

mainphpg2_viewcore.jpg

Image from Livingetc