Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pixiepixel

Pixiepixel's Pixilated Home

i just checked with citygas - the CSO confirmed that there is gas piping in my blk; and the current owners are using piped gas for cooking, hooray!!

thats is great!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

just FYI:

to change the gas pipe within kitchen (assuming you're shifting the cooking area); citygas charges $100

to extend and connect the gas pipe from the cooking "point" to the water heater: citigas charges $60

hope above helps

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/...nt#FalseCeiling

hmmm are you referring to cornice? cornice and false ceiling got different height rule... for cornice is 2.1m... but i guess you are right that many false ceiling would have failed the 2.4m rule~ :P

ya, most hdb flats floor to ceiling only about 2.5m nia, so if you add in false ceiling, definitely will be less than the required clearance liao... :)

ossify

the ID yesterday told me, that the HDB basic cement screed + marble sure hit will be hovering >40mm thick. So if I choose to overlay with tiles, it will be more than 50mm. true or false?

so are you saying that if I put on laminates, I still can do so regardless how high (or low) the current floor is?

noob qn: do I need to measure from the real ceiling or from the false ceiling?? :dunno::blink:

to add on:

ossify, i read through the link and it says "The laying of flooring over existing finishes does not involve the following:

Raising the floor as a platform

Usage of cement screed

Hacking/removal of existing floor finishes"

QN: In this case, if I just overlay with laminates, is marble considered a suitable subfloor?

ossify

the ID yesterday told me, that the HDB basic cement screed + marble sure hit will be hovering >40mm thick. So if I choose to overlay with tiles, it will be more than 50mm. true or false?

so are you saying that if I put on laminates, I still can do so regardless how high (or low) the current floor is?

noob qn: do I need to measure from the real ceiling or from the false ceiling?? :dunno::blink:

if you believe him that the subfloor is >40mm thick, then the answer is true. but if you are skeptical (as I am), then the answer is false.

yes you can put on laminates regardless of your current floor level.

didn't know you have false ceiling, in that case, forget about it :)

to add on:

ossify, i read through the link and it says "The laying of flooring over existing finishes does not involve the following:

Raising the floor as a platform

Usage of cement screed

Hacking/removal of existing floor finishes"

QN: In this case, if I just overlay with laminates, is marble considered a suitable subfloor?

any subfloor that is flat and impermable to water is a good subfloor. marble is good. next time you want to sell your house, just remove the laminate and your valuation will be higher :D

if you believe him that the subfloor is >40mm thick, then the answer is true. but if you are skeptical (as I am), then the answer is false.

yes you can put on laminates regardless of your current floor level.

any subfloor that is flat and impermable to water is a good subfloor. marble is good. next time you want to sell your house, just remove the laminate and your valuation will be higher :D

woopy-doop, yay!

now, my living room flooring is resolved :D

thanks ossify and many others who chipped in ideas!

the search for reno company - update#3:-

yesterday night, we met up with 2 designers (not contractors).

designer#1

as usual with the rest of the cohorts, he was late. and he was half hour late.

being a sucker for punctuality, i was sorely disappointed having to wait for him at home while i could spend the time doing something more worthwhile.

anyway, he arrived with the usual introductions and all, and said that my current unit was something he thought he designed (as the design feel was what he is very experience in)

blah blah blah blah

we gave him out inputs and highlighted to him the areas we feel are problematic ones - the crampy kitchen, the balcony which we find no use for, and the small toilets.

after some discussion, he gave very good insights and ideas, keeping in with our raw, industrial look, he gave us some "on the spot" sketches of how he would like our place to look like

things like our collectible toys being displayed on the ceiling (so that it becomes your ceiling), raw ceiling with wire mesh & light bulbs, nooky storage compartments that are jumbled yet cohesive

well the thing was that he offered a design service, but not carrying out the renovation part. to do that, we need to allow him plenty of time.

he suggested that we hire our own main con if we really like his design and he will liaise with the main con to achieve the vision that he (and we) had

he left on a final note that we were only to contact him only after we have finalized our FS planning&layout...atas atas

my thoughts on him:

lots of ideas but a man of few words

ok, something to consider....

designer#2

she was late too. she thought we were supposed to meet at her office but we were supposed to meet at my place! so she took time to swing by my place...

this company came from a recommendation of a renotalk-er, and i was surprised to know that the designer who came was the boss of the company.

basically she gave us 3 proposed solution, which she played around with how the kitchen would looked like, keeping the rest of the place with her same proposed design.

she proposed that the balcony area to be designated as a chill out area. well, not for us as we will only chill out in the living room. when asked her what are the other ideas she can provide, she couldn't come up with any.

ok, i'll excuse her for that - perhaps i was pushing her too hard?

we (hb & i) (more or less) have agreed to use the balcony area to be a dining place cum xbox 360 place cum study area. so a table, chairs (or bench), some storage is needed for this to happen.

her quotation came - it was 14k more than our budget.

we told her our budget upfront. she was also upfront to tell us that she cannot match our budget but will try to go as close as possible.

she also said that she is very keen to take up our project because of the raw, industrial look we want our place to be, it would be a challenge to her

my thoughts on her:

she is very experienced on the technical stuff of how things work

she is very helpful; and a lady of gab :D

Edited by pixiepixel

the search for reno company - update#3:-

yesterday night, we met up with 2 designers (not contractors).

designer#1

as usual with the rest of the cohorts, he was late. and he was half hour late.

being a sucker for punctuality, i was sorely disappointed having to wait for him at home while i could spend the time doing something more worthwhile.

anyway, he arrived with the usual introductions and all, and said that my current unit was something he thought he designed (as the design feel was what he is very experience in)

blah blah blah blah

we gave him out inputs and highlighted to him the areas we feel are problematic ones - the crampy kitchen, the balcony which we find no use for, and the small toilets.

after some discussion, he gave very good insights and ideas, keeping in with our raw, industrial look, he gave us some "on the spot" sketches of how he would like our place to look like

things like our collectible toys being displayed on the ceiling (so that it becomes your ceiling), raw ceiling with wire mesh & light bulbs, nooky storage compartments that are jumbled yet cohesive

well the thing was that he offered a design service, but not carrying out the renovation part. to do that, we need to allow him plenty of time.

he suggested that we hire our own main con if we really like his design and he will liaise with the main con to achieve the vision that he (and we) had

he left on a final note that we were only to contact him only after we have finalized our FS planning&layout...atas atas

my thoughts on him:

lots of ideas but a man of few words

ok, something to consider....

designer#2

she was late too. she thought we were supposed to meet at her office but we were supposed to meet at my place! so she took time to swing by my place...

this company came from a recommendation of a renotalk-er, and i was surprised to know that the designer who came was the boss of the company.

basically she gave us 3 proposed solution, which she played around with how the kitchen would looked like, keeping the rest of the place with her same proposed design.

she proposed that the balcony area to be designated as a chill out area. well, not for us as we will only chill out in the living room. when asked her what are the other ideas she can provide, she couldn't come up with any.

ok, i'll excuse her for that - perhaps i was pushing her too hard?

we (hb & i) (more or less) have agreed to use the balcony area to be a dining place cum xbox 360 place cum study area. so a table, chairs (or bench), some storage is needed for this to happen.

her quotation came - it was 14k more than our budget.

we told her our budget upfront. she was also upfront to tell us that she cannot match our budget but will try to go as close as possible.

she also said that she is very keen to take up our project because of the raw, industrial look we want our place to be, it would be a challenge to her

my thoughts on her:

she is very experienced on the technical stuff of how things work

she is very helpful; and a lady of gab :D

the hunt for IDs is really tiring isnt it? need to repeat the same stuff everytime u meet someone new. my wife got sick of it after 4 IDs and i had to shop for the rest myself....

the hunt for IDs is really tiring isnt it? need to repeat the same stuff everytime u meet someone new. my wife got sick of it after 4 IDs and i had to shop for the rest myself....

wolflet

designer#2 came from your recommendation. i do hope she can give me a good quote next next week.

Pixiepixel,

I have a feeling we're neighbours.

My floorplan looks exactly like your's. Also Jurong East.

Yes you're right....sky high prices.....

Our second appt in mid july. You can pop by when we renovate...sharing spirit right?

repeat the same stuff not so bad..

the worse is trying to pretend you don't know much about reno and being hopeful that the id knows his stuff well by clarifying those points.

i got sick, so SICK after 6 IDs

the worse is trying to pretend you don't know much about reno and being hopeful that the id knows his stuff well by clarifying those points.

i lost count at 30 IDs

pixie, hope that you can find a good ID soon :D now the 1st 2 only, more to come... ;)

hahahaha it's very hard to pretend you dunno leh... :P

i lost count at 30 IDs

30!!!! you're good... :bow: