Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leechaorui

Painting Versus Wall Paper

No 1 rule for applying wallpaper, always do a coat of sealer first

Hi Christopher,

when you mentioned a coat of sealer, you mean normal white paint correct? Mine is a new hdb apartment, do I still need to paint a layer? My ID said not required leh.

Cheers,

oinkoink

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Christopher,

when you mentioned a coat of sealer, you mean normal white paint correct? Mine is a new hdb apartment, do I still need to paint a layer? My ID said not required leh.

Cheers,

oinkoink

any reply from anyone?

Hi Christopher,

Cheers,

oinkoink

Sealer is not white paint but a substance used to protect a surface from oxidation, natural deterioration and physical abuse. There are solvent and water based type

Another advice. If you are doing wallpapering for just a few walls and painting the rest, get your painter to paint the wall which you will wallpaper too. The color of the wall should match the color of the wallpaper. Reason being :

1. Painter would not usually charge you less if you have 2-3 walls less to paint.

2. If you use a dark wallpaper and your wall is light colored, any slight misalignment when joining the wallpaper is very obvious.

I wallpapers almost half my place and I love the effect of wallpapering.

You can see the effect here.

Before

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=454598

After

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=463438

If you have uneven walls, you can wallpaper it instead of plastering. The thickness of the wallpaper will help to hide the unevenness.

Be careful with the kind of wallpaper you use though. If it's uneven, and you use a farily plain design, the uneveness will be quite conspicuous. You'll very likely see the undulations even with wall paper. In fact, it could look even more pronounced as the wall paper might draw your attention to the wall even more then if you left it alone and just painted it white. If you really want to use wall paper( which I think is a great idea) it's better to use more elaborate designs if the wall is uneven, but too many walls with elaborate designs might look to 'loud' even claustrophobic or night clubbish. If you can afford it, it's best to plaster the wall before papering it. It looks nicest on a completely even wall.

<!--quoteo(post=608280:date=Jan 31 2011, 08:51 AM:name=january)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (january @ Jan 31 2011, 08:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=608280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you have uneven walls, you can wallpaper it instead of plastering. The thickness of the wallpaper will help to hide the unevenness.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Be careful with the kind of wallpaper you use though. If it's uneven, and you use a farily plain design, the uneveness will be quite conspicuous. You'll very likely see the undulations even with wall paper. In fact, it could look even more pronounced as the wall paper might draw your attention to the wall even more then if you left it alone and just painted it white. If you really want to use wall paper( which I think is a great idea) it's better to use more elaborate designs if the wall is uneven, but too many walls with elaborate designs might look to 'loud' even claustrophobic or night clubbish. If you can afford it, it's best to plaster the wall before papering it. It looks nicest on a completely even wall.

Hi guys,

Will wallpaper make your house warmer? As in hotter..?

Thanks.

another point to note, avoid applying wallpapers on walls that comes into contact with direct sunlight (especially partially exposed wall).

i have a friend and part of his wallpapered wall is expose to the sun. noticed color differences after 6 months or so...

well if you have some money to spare, and likes wallpaper, you might like this. see them here http://www.zano-asia.com/

I was introduced to these so called 3D wall panels by my real estate agent. I kinda like the classy designs.

but judging from the website, it might not be cheap.