Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
liewsc

Can Seal Up Mailbox?

Everyday when I check my mailbox there is always lotsa dumping of property agents advs inside and I need to filter them into the rubbish bin, my friends said they seal up the mailbox lit and no prob for postman as they open from behind to throw in our letter. Double sided tape good enuf to seal it? Anyone got experience before? Just move in my new home and facing this problem, not sure if can seal it off and not violate any rules. Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thought there is a lever behind the letter box door when you open it.

Just push lever up and the horizontal flip opening will always be close :)

if urs is the new mailbox. there should be a small lever behind the lid to block it. if its the old type. cannot seal, else ur letters wun get in.

fyi, some advertising pamphlets are placed there by singpost. those agents can actually pay singpost to deliver their advertisements. these cases, block or no block, still get in. :D

Everyday when I check my mailbox there is always lotsa dumping of property agents advs inside and I need to filter them into the rubbish bin, my friends said they seal up the mailbox lit and no prob for postman as they open from behind to throw in our letter. Double sided tape good enuf to seal it? Anyone got experience before? Just move in my new home and facing this problem, not sure if can seal it off and not violate any rules. Thanks.

Why seal? Got those advertising pamphlets also not bad. If not everyday also see letter only, very sian. Seeing letter mean bill payment time liao, haha. Sometimes those advertising pamphlets also got good promotion stuff too, some people staying condo want also dun have lor. :P

Edited by davidbslee

Even if there is a latch at the back of the mailbox... some may be loose, which means the slot still can be open... I have seen some of those pamplet distributors... they use a metal rod and jam push the slots open.... latch or no latch... with such force, all also open. Then, there are some pamplets which are distributed by your dear postmen... (acting as agents for these companies I suppose). Given that your mails are distributed by mailmen who open the whole front facade of the mailboxes... I reckon you can screw shut the slot PERMANENTLY... but agree with Warrior88... sometimes we need those fast food pamplets (when u r hungry... it's a life saver!! )

QUOTE (Warrior88 @ Jun 25 2010, 01:09 PM)

I need those Pizza Hut and Macdonald pamphlet.

those usually frm newspaper de.

I read free papers in the office during lunch time, Office got many auntie, kapo liao.

Money save, I spend on fast food and free Worldcup telecast :)

thanks for all the comments, I've reverse the lid and it'll just shut my mailbox from advs. Agree that sometime is good to have advs that give vouchers etc but its just those property agents most the time. quite sianz lo, some home buyers also got levaing notes saying that they got housing grants la willing to give 30K - 80K COV to buy unit at my block. wah property still so hot.

thanks for all the comments, I've reverse the lid and it'll just shut my mailbox from advs. Agree that sometime is good to have advs that give vouchers etc but its just those property agents most the time. quite sianz lo, some home buyers also got levaing notes saying that they got housing grants la willing to give 30K - 80K COV to buy unit at my block. wah property still so hot.

those are usually from agents. just want you to sell your flat. then they can sell for u and get comm

I hate it when ppl open their mailboxex... sort the letters there and then.... and throw those they don't want directly on the floor..... eventhough the bin is just 5 feet from him

There was once I asked this guy why he did that.... he said, cleaners will clean it up, why bother!!

Another issue is the design of the letter box area.... some has this area bricked up right in front of the letter boxes.... which according to some of the residents.... is for you to THROW those unwanted mail and someone will clear it later. I can accept this explanation, but to a young mind, what they see is an adult throwing rubbish on the ground... and they will follow... it's a vicious cycle

we also turned the lever behind the mailbox slot but property adv still get in... they purposely use thin and smaller pieces of paper so they can push the paper through the gap of the slot.

i think those fast food pamphlets are distributed by postmen de... there is a "singpost ad mail hotline" signboard at my mailbox area, i guess this is the service to engage to directly distribute ads into your mailboxes.

I hate it when ppl open their mailboxex... sort the letters there and then.... and throw those they don't want directly on the floor..... eventhough the bin is just 5 feet from him

There was once I asked this guy why he did that.... he said, cleaners will clean it up, why bother!!

Another issue is the design of the letter box area.... some has this area bricked up right in front of the letter boxes.... which according to some of the residents.... is for you to THROW those unwanted mail and someone will clear it later. I can accept this explanation, but to a young mind, what they see is an adult throwing rubbish on the ground... and they will follow... it's a vicious cycle

fully agree with this... it's almost like saying you can anyhow litter in your own home cos your parents/maids/someone will sweep the floor :bangwall:

it's really unsightly to have all those pamphlets lying on the floor. why can't pple just throw them into the rubbish bin?? it's just right next to the mailboxes~ i thought we are all educated to be civic-minded and keep our environment clean. :angry:

we also turned the lever behind the mailbox slot but property adv still get in... they purposely use thin and smaller pieces of paper so they can push the paper through the gap of the slot.

i think those fast food pamphlets are distributed by postmen de... there is a "singpost ad mail hotline" signboard at my mailbox area, i guess this is the service to engage to directly distribute ads into your mailboxes.

fully agree with this... it's almost like saying you can anyhow litter in your own home cos your parents/maids/someone will sweep the floor :bangwall:

it's really unsightly to have all those pamphlets lying on the floor. why can't pple just throw them into the rubbish bin?? it's just right next to the mailboxes~ i thought we are all educated to be civic-minded and keep our environment clean. :angry:

@marsh.... now you know why SG is always branded as a first world infra but a 3rd world mentatlity country... I take the current parents to task (whose minds were screwed by their parents [these are ppl beyond help ie the grandparents]).... following in their parents' behaviour.... and this is seen and followed by their kids...... and the parents didn't do anything to correct them....