Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi all,

i have been surfing this forum and notice a lot of members here are seperating IDs and Contractors in different perspective point of view, just curious can anyone tell me what are the differences between them?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

really depends on how u look at both of them ba.... there are contractors who cover themself so well to look like IDs .... so everyone now are IDs in the current market right now.... be it contractor or IDs as long as u get what u wanted or are please with the final outcome i think both are as good.

Guest airstriker
Hi all,

i have been surfing this forum and notice a lot of members here are seperating IDs and Contractors in different perspective point of view, just curious can anyone tell me what are the differences between them?

ID- Interior designer. They are professional in interior design and after they understand owner expectation/ theme then they will design based on it.

Contractors divides into basically 2 groups- M&E and architectual. They are 2 basic trades. Owners/ ID/ firm engage them if they have any works to be done.

So, to put things simple. ID designs, contractors do the works.

An establish ID firm will have few certified ID and salesperson to liasie with owners, upon the confirmation of the design, QS (Quality surveyor) will quote. Once price are finalise, drafter will prepare a set of drawings for owner to sign. Project coodinator will arrange contractors to come in at different times to finish up the work. Lastly, owner will inspect with ID and salesperson to ensure all works are as to design.

Nowadays, IDs and salesperson are the same person. Save cost mah. Hope not too losoh..

ID- Interior designer. They are professional in interior design and after they understand owner expectation/ theme then they will design based on it.

Contractors divides into basically 2 groups- M&E and architectual. They are 2 basic trades. Owners/ ID/ firm engage them if they have any works to be done.

So, to put things simple. ID designs, contractors do the works.

An establish ID firm will have few certified ID and salesperson to liasie with owners, upon the confirmation of the design, QS (Quality surveyor) will quote. Once price are finalise, drafter will prepare a set of drawings for owner to sign. Project coodinator will arrange contractors to come in at different times to finish up the work. Lastly, owner will inspect with ID and salesperson to ensure all works are as to design.

Nowadays, IDs and salesperson are the same person. Save cost mah. Hope not too losoh..

Wah! So professional... ah, if everything go so smooth consider dammn Heng ah, If ever there is a mistake make during reno progress, the whole team of people start pin point others, in the end Owners sure mary go round and yet have to face lawyer case with this company one.

Let's put it this way:

ID are someone who can design.

Contractor are unable to design but they have site experience, able to comply the design into real thing

Expert ID who had site-experiences are your best consultant, but you are sure to pay alot more than expectation, at least 2/3 times than the rest but is worth if you are more into Quality than money.

Expert Contractor is worth for money saving money, they knew about base cost in their fingertip so is the best for price Bargain and yet you will not regret with its Quality work.

i can't find you good ID/ Contractor or find you best Quality design/work, they are all your own luck to find good ID/Contractor & good design/work.

ID/Contractor are just another human like you, they make mistakes & had emotion too, but truely they are the better person for making up your dream home than the Rubbish ID & irresponsible Contractor.

Hope the above Help ;)

Usually, the contractors don't do the 3D drawings or the designs for you. They are involved in the actual labour of renovating your house.

Interior designers normally only do the designing of the house. Hope this helps

Just a question

If i know what i what.... then i dun need the service of an ID, right?

Tks

If you have an ideal layout, color match and design than you can get contractor to "Run" the work for you. Save a little on concept, space-planning and design.

Just a question

If i know what i what.... then i dun need the service of an ID, right?

Tks

If you have everything in mind you can get a contractor to save some cost, but contractor does not provide any 3D drawings.

If you have everything in mind you can get a contractor to save some cost, but contractor does not provide any 3D drawings.

Agreed, as long as they get the job done it doesn't matter if it is a contractor or ID. Contractor should be cheaper, but only if you are a discerning consumer and don't let them rip you off too. For me, the IDs are probably more savvy talking to customers and maybe better colour co-ordinated. The person laying the tile or putting up the shelves are not them. End of the day, given the size of our flats or condos these days, how many permutations of laminates and colours can they do? They still follow the current "trend" or what's "in" now, and a contractor can learn those things through working with IDs too. The important thing is the quality of execution and the commitment from the ID or contractor.

ID may make you feel good, and you spend you ca$h with them, but at the end of the day you may get more or less the same with a contractor. The only problem is that most of us are newbies. So, we need to learn through hard knocks, or getting advice from others who have walked the path like in this forum.

I didn't have money to splash, so after talking to a few so-called ID houses, I quickly realised the value-add doesn't command the additional 30-70% mark-up, and in the end I engaged a contractor.

Agreed, as long as they get the job done it doesn't matter if it is a contractor or ID. Contractor should be cheaper, but only if you are a discerning consumer and don't let them rip you off too. For me, the IDs are probably more savvy talking to customers and maybe better colour co-ordinated. The person laying the tile or putting up the shelves are not them. End of the day, given the size of our flats or condos these days, how many permutations of laminates and colours can they do? They still follow the current "trend" or what's "in" now, and a contractor can learn those things through working with IDs too. The important thing is the quality of execution and the commitment from the ID or contractor.

ID may make you feel good, and you spend you ca$h with them, but at the end of the day you may get more or less the same with a contractor. The only problem is that most of us are newbies. So, we need to learn through hard knocks, or getting advice from others who have walked the path like in this forum.

I didn't have money to splash, so after talking to a few so-called ID houses, I quickly realised the value-add doesn't command the additional 30-70% mark-up, and in the end I engaged a contractor.

Second that.

Let's analyze the money flow. You give requirements to ID. They design n quote u. Part of your $$$ goes to the ID firm, another part goes into the designer's commission, the rest goes into subcon & material costs.

Hire a contractor. You give ur own design (u are wholly responsible for your own design, so contractors built according to ur specs; anything screw up in design u got ownself to blame), contractor charges u commission and u also pay for the subcon & materials.

All things equal, u shd be paying less when hiring contractor since less overheads involved. IMHO, pay only for the work done by contractors/subcons overseeing/doing the job, not those taokays who sit in their posh aircon offices who dun even know who u r…

Edited by neubie