Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Hamster06

Led Tv, Which Brand Is Better?

Hi folks,

Am looking for LED TV, ard 40" - 46" for my new place.

Wondering which brand is better...Samsung? Or Sony (but made in Msia)? Or Sharp (has the additional yellow color now, is it good)?

Can some kind soul kindly help?

Thanks a million!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi folks,

Am looking for LED TV, ard 40" - 46" for my new place.

Wondering which brand is better...Samsung? Or Sony (but made in Msia)? Or Sharp (has the additional yellow color now, is it good)?

Can some kind soul kindly help?

Thanks a million!

Maybe I can share cos I was looking at these brands for a 46-47' LED (with a budget of $2500-$2800) like 2mths ago and finally committed like 3weeks ago ;)

Samsung - 6000 series (abt $2800-$2900)

Sony - Sorry, forgot wat series liao (abt $2700-$2800)

Sharp - the latest RGB+Y series (abt $2800 + $300 NTUC voucher)

LG - LE5500 Infinia series ($3300 + 26' LCD TV) price is much less after trade-in

I committed on LG for the following reasons

1) All have more of less the same specs but LG 5500 seems to have a tad bit of higher spec (having said tat, it will not be day and night diff just tat maybe psychologically, u feel better, tats all :P )

2) Almost committed on Sharp but its panel warranty (just 1 yr whereas all other brands 3 yrs) and its reflective panel bugs me off eventually

3) All about the same price. LG cost more for that 5500 series but comes with a free 26' LCD. Managed to find a shop that trade-in the free gift hence making it the most price competitive (i.e. paying lesser for a higher spec TV)

Edited by het

my vote goes to samsung series 6, becuz i bot a 46 inch variant :notti: anyways, buy wat ur eyes like at the price u r most comfortable with. samsung series 6 46 inch (6200 hor, not 6900) can get for less than 2700. ;)

If possible at all, see the TVs in a dim surrounding cos the usual showroom floors are way brighter than your usual viewing at home. One place I remember is Harvey Norman at Millenia Walk. They have one wall which is specially dimmed for some of the flat panels. Trust your own eyes.

You may also want to check out Xtremeplace.com for more expert advice. BTW, these TVs are actually still LCD TVs. They have just replaced the CCFL tube backlights with LED backlights. True LED TVs have yet to hit the consumer mass market. Don't get fooled by marketing.

BTW, for over 40 inch sizes, and especially if you go bigger, worth considering the plasma panels too. The bigger the panel, the more costly LCDs get.

het,

I think you made a mistake with your TV specs -- contrast is not measured in mHz. If you committed based on that, then you probably made a mistake in relying on some figure that you didn't understand. But as long as your eyes like what you see, that's what matters.

het,

I think you made a mistake with your TV specs -- contrast is not measured in mHz. If you committed based on that, then you probably made a mistake in relying on some figure that you didn't understand. But as long as your eyes like what you see, that's what matters.

Tks bro ....i'm definitely no expert on these :P Ive since committed....so, dont tink i can do anything abt it. I will jus enjoy wat i got ;) tks

Will edit my thread to prevent passing of wrong info :P

Edited by het

Ok, got my LG brochure and here are the specs

I wanted to mentioned abt the 5mil : 1 but got it mixed up with the Hz thingy :rolleyes:

Dynamic Contrast Ratio - 5,000,000 : 1

Tru Motion - 100Hz

If possible at all, see the TVs in a dim surrounding cos the usual showroom floors are way brighter than your usual viewing at home. One place I remember is Harvey Norman at Millenia Walk. They have one wall which is specially dimmed for some of the flat panels. Trust your own eyes.

You may also want to check out Xtremeplace.com for more expert advice. BTW, these TVs are actually still LCD TVs. They have just replaced the CCFL tube backlights with LED backlights. True LED TVs have yet to hit the consumer mass market. Don't get fooled by marketing.

BTW, for over 40 inch sizes, and especially if you go bigger, worth considering the plasma panels too. The bigger the panel, the more costly LCDs get.

het,

hi! I am in the process of shopping for a 55 inch tv for my entertainment room and a 42 inch tv for my living room.

done a little asking ard, seem like LG seem like the no brainer choice in terms of price vs performance factor.

I will like to ask the expert here, is the LG LE5500 series's local dimming a gimmick and is the Samsung's 6000 series's border lighting an issue??thks!

het,

Oh ya, been frequenting Xtremeplace for quite sometime cos before tat, I was looking for sound syst. Yup, knew the fact that these LED are infact LCD with either border / back panel lit. Oso understand Plasma is having the best PQ. Bought LED simply bcos i'm quite a sucker for newer technology + aesthetic design :P Tks bro ;)

hi! I am in the process of shopping for a 55 inch tv for my entertainment room and a 42 inch tv for my living room.

done a little asking ard, seem like LG seem like the no brainer choice in terms of price vs performance factor.

I will like to ask the expert here, is the LG LE5500 series's local dimming a gimmick and is the Samsung's 6000 series's border lighting an issue??thks!

just like to share, definitely not an expert here....I reckon you would have known LG infinia is back lit ya, so why stil interested in border lit? Im not so sure if the local dimming is a gimmick but I like wat i saw :P

my vote goes to samsung series 6, becuz i bot a 46 inch variant :notti: anyways, buy wat ur eyes like at the price u r most comfortable with. samsung series 6 46 inch (6200 hor, not 6900) can get for less than 2700. ;)

Hi

I am a series 6 supporter too, by the way can I have the contact for the 6200 model.

Please send to trickim@hotmail.com.